It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US proposes violent games tax

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Let's say that the government actually believes that violent video games are contributing to actual, real life gun violence. Then why just tax it without trying to restrict or ban violent video games altogether? They want to ban assault rifles, why not the games? Or that's right, that pesky 1st amendment is in the way. They can sure pick and choose their amendments can they?

The government just wants to get a cut of the sales and then misappropriate the revenue. They secretly hope that violent video game sales go through the roof so they can rake in the tax cash. The vampires are so hungry they are close to starving, and our blood is running low.

The politicians have raided the treasury, the next step is the collapse of the empire. What monsters wait in the wings to fill the void when the glorious U.S. empire crumbles?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cornucopia

Originally posted by dave_welch

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie

www.news.com.au

VIOLENT video games could soon be hit with a sales tax.

US congresswoman Diane Franklin said her proposed tax would help to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

Since the Sandy Hook massacre in November in which 20 children and six adults were killed, American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

great idea, i support it...

actually i would ban all violent games and educate the game makers on proper ways of creating a civilized species...

In this world that you live in, would you ban books like "The Art of War", and history books that contain violence?
How about movies, and violent sports? How about banning all animals who attack their prey and consume it alive???
You should probably ban the imagination too, so that no one can come up wwith anything violent in the future....

yep ban all darkness from the planet

ahhh...

feel that?

peace...

bliss

abundance

for all

Sounds good, but you don't think that you could actually "ban all darkness from the planet" do you? Anyway, reading some of your other posts, I'd like to know what planet you live on, because I'd like to move there.

i'm from the the Pleiades star system, we live in utopias there, we are Human and we are very much in your future

How's Billy Meier doing?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

No doubt. Personal story about six years ago when I got out of the military I was having some problems the Docs put me on Prozac and every time I said I was feeling worse their answer was to double my script this went on for about eight months at the end there I was bonkers borderline psychotic and my world came crashing down around me. After some drastic events took place I was in front of a different doc well turns out that I was miss diagnosed as being depressed by the first doc and I have bipolar tendencies I guess I always have been but through life I had learned to cope with it and channel it. The way I had always dealt with it before probably wasn’t the best way but I was fully functional. Well to make really long story shorter antidepressants when given to someone that’s bi polar only makes them 10 times worse not always but in enough cases and I was one of them.

That crap could have ended real bad for me and everyone around me I was on the edge questioning why the hell did I have those thoughts in my head I was on a rollercoaster to hell. Finding out what was wrong with me took a huge burden off my shoulders and the only thing that kept me from going postal was knowing that eventually that trip would end with time. It still took about six months till the effects of those drugs wore off and my brain chemistry normalized. They gave me some lithium to help which I stopped taking when I felt normal again now I just cope the way I used to I don’t want nothing in me thats not natural. To sum it all up don’t ever let the big pharma tell you their stuff can’t drive people insane because believe me I was a time bomb and if I had kept up I am not sure what would have happened. Considering I am an Army vet it is a scary thought of what I could have done. No worries now though. I tell you one thing though I am glad ATS wasn’t around then or at least I didn’t know about it. Some of this stuff on here just isn’t healthy to dwell on.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just told Wifey about this and she was laughing at how absurd it was.

And then she comes back and says what about making a video game that is a first person shooter game in a school. Oh, and then one in a church and maybe and old folks home. Oh, and a movie theater, could be a whole series.

Kidding, but...those games probably already exist.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I propose a GOVERNMENT INVOLVEMENT TAX.
Any time the gov gets involved in an investigation, or other program/incident, be it
Legal or not, a felony or a misdemeanor, that all civilian parties involved, that are not
Corporations or large businesses, recieve a percentage of the assigned
Government agents income, for the full duration of the governments involvement, to be
Dispersed among the private citizens equally, up to, and including, the gov. Officials
Whole salary.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
Just told Wifey about this and she was laughing at how absurd it was.

And then she comes back and says what about making a video game that is a first person shooter game in a school. Oh, and then one in a church and maybe and old folks home. Oh, and a movie theater, could be a whole series.

Kidding, but...those games probably already exist.

I can't think of a single video game, where the player's objective is kill innocents, in the game. They all have "bad guys', opposing players, or something that represents a threat to the first principle player.

There do exist options in some, that will allow a player to injure or kill "friendlies", but they usually reap some sort of penalty for doing so.

I can't imagine a game designed to create a scenario for the destruction of innocents, would go over too well with anyone!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I can't think of a single video game, where the player's objective is kill innocents, in the game. They all have "bad guys', opposing players, or something that represents a threat to the first principle player.

While not the "objective" per se, Grand Theft Auto come pretty darn close.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
That's a really silly idea on so many levels. Video games are not the problem. Plenty of other countries have them and don't have the kind of violent acts we are seeing. Millions of kids play them and if they were having an effect you would think we would see a lot more violence than we are seeing.
edit on 19-1-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

True, but that too, has a repercussion, as the cops come rushing in to take you out, IIRC...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The irony here in this post, and maybe I have not read enough replies, is that the a few of the same people for more gun control, are the same people saying that video games have nothing to do with mass murders.

I guess when it hits you where it hurts, you can finally see the irony, eh?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Infuriating. Just like cigarettes. Originally, the taxes on cigarettes were to go to smokers with health problems. Then it changed to giving the money to child health care. Are any of those taxes doing what they say? I doubt it. There is no financial accountability in Washington. None.

Like someone said before, what will this tax do? I doubt it will curb violence. Us humans are slaves to it. It's our culture. It's our nature. That is why we must have the ability to defend ourselves.

We are no longer citizens. We are subjects and we are gleefully giving our money for gov interests,. Not ours. Someone is getting rich. Are you?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
meh

this almost seems like a fee you pay to go on a murder spree

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

www.news.com.au

US congresswoman Diane Franklin said her proposed tax would help to "finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

Since the Sandy Hook massacre in November in which 20 children and six adults were killed, American politicians and lobbyists have been pointing the finger at violent video games as the catalysts for the countless massacres that have occurred in the US over the last 50 years.

great idea, i support it...

actually i would ban all violent games and educate the game makers on proper ways of creating a civilized species...

In this world that you live in, would you ban books like "The Art of War", and history books that contain violence?
How about movies, and violent sports? How about banning all animals who attack their prey and consume it alive???
You should probably ban the imagination too, so that no one can come up wwith anything violent in the future....

yep ban all darkness from the planet

ahhh...

feel that?

peace...

bliss

abundance

for all

Sounds good, but you don't think that you could actually "ban all darkness from the planet" do you? Anyway, reading some of your other posts, I'd like to know what planet you live on, because I'd like to move there.

i'm from the the Pleiades star system, we live in utopias there, we are Human and we are very much in your future

How's Billy Meier doing?

he is doing well, very well

as we all are no matter our situtation...

secret revealed=you are an immortal being

remember?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

2010 - 'Halo: Reach' Videogame's First-Day Sales Cross $200 Million: source

2011 - 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3' Video Game Breaks Sales Record - $400 million in sales in its first 24 hours: source

2012 - Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 sales reach $1 billion in 15 days: source

So 2 games pull in $600 million in a 24 hour period in 2010 and 2011 while the latest in November of 2012 pulls in just over $1 billion in 15 days.... wonder what tax rate they're thinking of ?

10% would increase the cost to the consumer by approximately $6 which most gamers wouldn't miss. The government on the other hand would pull in $1.6 billion times 10% equaling a staggering $160 million (if those sales were in the US only, but hey, you get the picture)....

Unbelievable; a few bucks here, some over there and yet a bit more here and the next thing you know the government is taxing every single thing or service over and above sales tax because in the governments mind it can influence the minds of the masses.....
edit on 19-1-2013 by eNaR because: spelling

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

www.news.com.au

Unless these jerks can link a violent crime to the majority of people buying those games, they need to keep their sticky fingers out of our pockets! How about we tax them for trying to pass stupid new ways to take our money? For failing to pass a budget for four years? For deciding to raise their own pay? For not using the retirement program they expect the rest of us to use?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Killing innocents in GTA comes with consequences, namely the Police/FBI/Army depending on your level of "anti-social behaviour". It's hardly an objective, it is something to be avoided in fact.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Though I am not a fan of either more taxes or punishments disguised as taxes (which is what this actually is), it is what they say they intend to do with the revenue generated by this that concerns me the most.

"finance mental health programs and law enforcement measures to prevent mass shootings."

That's awfully vague. Leaves a ton of empty space. What exactly do they intend to do with this money?
edit on 22-1-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join