It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Captures Death of CVS Toothpaste Shoplifter

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by eXia7

Not only would I have bought the guy the toothpaste, but other necessities as well. On the way out, I'd give him a few dollars for a warm meal. Obviously this homeless person was trying to keep some level of hygiene. It's not like he was in some liquor store stealing liquor.

Poor guy, I hope this does get investigated.
I was at a local grocery store last week and was paying for a couple of prescriptions I had a loaf of bread as well.I used my debt card and came up short so I told the woman to take off the bread,well surprise surprise a woman behind me offered to pay for the bread,this is the first time this has ever happened to me.It wasn't like I didn't have the money I just needed to do some banking.

I'll never forget what this woman did for me and if I ever see her again or if I see someone in need I'll do the right thing,as should this manager should have.
There's too many people in this world that lack empathy and for what?What is the cost of a human life?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wow! Talk about overkill!

He totally murdered the guy!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Huh?

I mean no disrespect, but can you please resubmit this in a vernacular or dialect more universally understandable please?

He's saying that in the mid 90s there was once a tube of toothpaste in his apartment with a couple needle holes in it. After using it he started to have health issues, e.g loss of breath.

He apparently lives in a city located in Serbia, called Svetozarevo. Although he noticed the needle holes & the health problems, he's still pushing on. Game on! =p

I guess the involvement of toothpaste brought back memories?
edit on 19-1-2013 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
wtf?? Can at least 1 of the 243 people there help..

what about that stupid punk kicking him in the head? Always some little punk trying to jump in a fight he does not belong in. he should be charged with murder as well

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Seeing is believing but I don't think it's right to show the guy dieing
edit on 19-1-2013 by JesusOfNazareth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

Huh?

I mean no disrespect, but can you please resubmit this in a vernacular or dialect more universally understandable please?

He's saying that in the mid 90s there was once a tube of toothpaste in his apartment with a couple needle holes in it. After using it he started to have health issues, e.g loss of breath.

He apparently lives in a city located in Serbia, called Svetozarevo. Although he noticed the needle holes & the health problems, he's still pushing on. Game on! =p

I guess the involvement of toothpaste brought back memories?
edit on 19-1-2013 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

Oh for the love of................................

How the heck was I supposed to know he was having a memory relapse opposed to adding a relevant theory? And how were you able to deduce what he meant? Glad you did
Just not sure how.......

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by intelligenthoodlum33
This really sad. No one should die over toothpaste and I am surprised the store and the cops think this is okay.

Just goes to show the state of the world today. Human life is meaningless to so many.

Don't steal. If it were the police that did this I might have something to say. But it wasn't. It was a store manager. If a business owner accidentally kills someone trying to protect their property, oh well. Stop stealing...

I don't have much sympathy for thieves.

Potential business owners like yourself make me question the intellectual integrity of free enterprise.

Develop a conscience.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Oh for the love of................................

How the heck was I supposed to know he was having a memory relapse opposed to adding a relevant theory? And how were you able to deduce what he meant? Glad you did
Just not sure how.......

Well your reaction gave me a good laugh. His location says "Jagodina (Svetozarevo Former), Serbia, Yugoslavia". Seems like toothpaste tubes automatically prompt that memory (which sounds pretty horrific if it's true & not just paranoia).

I feel kind of bad though, because his karma rating is so low... judging by the way you reacted it seems like a lot of his post might confuse people.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
I was at a local grocery store last week and was paying for a couple of prescriptions I had a loaf of bread as well.I used my debt card and came up short so I told the woman to take off the bread,well surprise surprise a woman behind me offered to pay for the bread,this is the first time this has ever happened to me.It wasn't like I didn't have the money I just needed to do some banking.

I'll never forget what this woman did for me and if I ever see her again or if I see someone in need I'll do the right thing,as should this manager should have.
There's too many people in this world that lack empathy and for what?What is the cost of a human life?

That's great. I am happy to hear that. My hope for humanity just upped one notch. And not to gloat but you brought up a great segue for me....

Last month I was in a small local bank waiting for my friend to wire money. I was sitting in the lobby and I saw two men at the counter. I overheard the man standing ask the Teller why there wasn't any money in his account. The other man was in a wheel chair with drool coming out his mouth but with a constant smile on his face. The man inquiring about his money, wasn't wearing any shoes and they were both literally dressed in rags. They were very polite and very dismayed.

The Teller explained how an automatic debit came in and put the account at a zero balance. The details were sketchy but the result was hard to take. I felt so bad for these two men. They were counting on this 57-dollars to eat and take a bus somewhere.

I didn't know what I could do without coming off nosy or making them feel uncomfortable or embarrassed. So I reached in my wallet, took out a 20-dollar bill and said "I couldn't help but overhear your dilemma. I hope you will accept this money and have lunch on me"

These two men were beaming with joy. They went from total despair to euphoria in 30 seconds. I was so happy to do that and I am not wealthy by any means. But I couldn't imagine better use of that 20-dollar bill!

So people....have a heart. Everyone has got their war wounds. We have no right to judge. Just have compassion and try to be empathic for our brothers and sisters who obviously have it a LOT worse than others.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
What bothers me most about this is that tooth paste is almost a necessity. If I was the manager I would happily give toothpaste away to homeless people, not choke them to death when they try to steal it. If he stole something he didn't actually need I would have no sympathy for him (not that I'd kill him) but something like toothpaste is completely unreasonable to kill for. This seems like the sort of thing that should only happen in a third world country.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Wow.....I had heard about the more recent case, with the man at the Walmart dying, who might or might not even have been shoplifting. Hadn't heard about this one before! How many times has this happened? So now, we have to worry about some idiot killing us if there is a second sensor tag in some piece of merchandise? Heck, have had that happen! Bought a DVD one evening, and the cashier ran it over the little thing to deactivate the theft sensor. Paid, headed to the door, and the buzzer went off. The clerk checked the bag, and the only thing with a tag was the disc. She passed it over the little deactivator again. Yet again, the buzzer went off at the door. That time, they simply waived me through. When I got home, I opened the DVD, and found, literally, THREE of those stupid little devices in the case. I did let the store know later. I can just imagine, though, in one of these other stores, some jerk knocking me down and killing me, because of a problem like that! What next, the item you have under the cart, that you paid for, is considered stolen, and they kill you? There is NO excuse for this crap. Anyone know of the ones responsible in these cases are in jail? If they aren't, why not?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andromerius

This really sad. No one should die over toothpaste and I am surprised the store and the cops think this is okay.

Just goes to show the state of the world today. Human life is meaningless to so many.

Don't steal. If it were the police that did this I might have something to say. But it wasn't. It was a store manager. If a business owner accidentally kills someone trying to protect their property, oh well. Stop stealing...

I have been very cordial and well behaved in this forum but you deserve something extra and i don't care if i get banned, but you are a sorry excuse for a human being, you are worthless piece of # that is the reason the world is as it is. I can't #ing believe that you mother #er just said what you said. How do you wake up in the morning and go through the day with a clean conscience when for you someone being killed over a #ING toothpaste is OK????

Please go die somewhere so we do not have to deal with the lump of pig # that you are.

I think I wake up in the morning knowing I earn what I have and I have no sympathy for thieves. The origin of laws were to protect every person's right to their possessions. To protect people and their livelihoods.

6. If a man has stolen goods from a temple, or house, he shall be put to death; and he that has received the stolen property from him shall be put to death.

I'd rather be a beggar than a thief. Of course, if I were a beggar the first thing I'd beg for is a job...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Putyournamehere
reply to post by boncho

All I have to say is "wow", you are heartless.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Well, the whole protect your property thing is nice and all, but honestly if you think about it, a tube of toothpaste is roughly 2$ to the consumer, I'm sure CVS paid maybe around .50 - .70 cents per tube. So honestly, is anybody's life worth a tube of discount toothpaste?

That's something the thief should have thought about before stealing it. Is it worth stealing something of any value? To me it isn't.

If it were the police who gunned down the same person I would ask, "why does the state excise such measures over the public."

..but it wasn't.

It was a manager (very similar to an owner) who chased after a someone who stole from their store. The store being the main source of the fellows livelihood. We cannot take each either's livelihood away from one another. Do that anything constructive we do is done in vain.

There is no security of our person. Life is effectively empty.

Granted a 30 cent tube of toothpaste is not going to put this company out of business, it is the action in itself. Would I want the thief to be punished by death had this not happened? No. Of course not. Jail? I don't find that fitting either.

If they can be made to provide restitution to whoever they stole from I find that more fitting. Do I think this was "just"? Not really.

However, I can't really knock someone for trying to protect their livelihood. Whether it be a store they own themselves or one they have been assigned to take care of.

In this case, the store manager needs to know the difference in rendering someone incapacitated and cutting off their air supply...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I'm sorry but that's incredibly cold. I think more lowly of a person who feels that way than I do of a thief. That attitude is pharisaical - all about the letter of the law and not about the spirit of it. It wasn't his toothpaste, it belonged to the store. He took it into his hands (literally ... he strangled him) to lynch someone who is probably mentally ill. Who is to say he wouldn't do the same if he lost his CVS job and was out on the street and wanted the small dignity of having fresh breath and healthy teeth.

He (the killer) should be charged with first degree murder. Shoplifting is wrong but a crime that petty is not worth dying for or killing to thwart.
edit on 20-1-2013 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Well, the whole protect your property thing is nice and all, but honestly if you think about it, a tube of toothpaste is roughly 2$ to the consumer, I'm sure CVS paid maybe around .50 - .70 cents per tube. So honestly, is anybody's life worth a tube of discount toothpaste?

That's something the thief should have thought about before stealing it. Is it worth stealing something of any value? To me it isn't.

If it were the police who gunned down the same person I would ask, "why does the state excise such measures over the public."

..but it wasn't.

It was a manager (very similar to an owner) who chased after a someone who stole from their store. The store being the main source of the fellows livelihood. We cannot take each either's livelihood away from one another. Do that anything constructive we do is done in vain.

There is no security of our person. Life is effectively empty.

Granted a 30 cent tube of toothpaste is not going to put this company out of business, it is the action in itself. Would I want the thief to be punished by death had this not happened? No. Of course not. Jail? I don't find that fitting either.

If they can be made to provide restitution to whoever they stole from I find that more fitting. Do I think this was "just"? Not really.

However, I can't really knock someone for trying to protect their livelihood. Whether it be a store they own themselves or one they have been assigned to take care of.

In this case, the store manager needs to know the difference in rendering someone incapacitated and cutting off their air supply...

I think the main point of me bringing this story up, was more of a question of morals and dignity. Not about how it's important to protect Chinese made goods.

The guy was in the wrong for stealing... yes. But using judgement based on morals and dignity, the manager should've handled it a better way. It was just toothpaste, the manager acted foolish. He wouldn't have lost his job, and he didn't do anything heroic, he committed a more harsh crime than the homeless man.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

He (the killer) should be charged with first degree murder. Shoplifting is wrong but a crime that petty is not worth dying for or killing to thwart.

Sorry but I don't know how you could liken him to Ted Bundy or Charles Manson in any way shape or form. Perhaps if he were prosecuted it would be under second degree murder or voluntary manslaughter, however, by no means is he in the same league as a serial killer.

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States_law)#Degrees_of_murder_in_the_United_States
e dit on 21-1-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

reply to post by lampsalot

Sorry but I don't know how you could liken him to Ted Bundy or Charles Manson in any way shape or form. Perhaps if he were prosecuted it would be under second degree murder or voluntary manslaughter, however, by no means is he in the same league as a serial killer.

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States_law)#Degrees_of_murder_in_the_United_States
e dit on 21-1-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

No one said anything about him being in the same league as a serial killer. However, he chose to be that man's judge, jury and executioner over a tube of toothpaste and that was wrong.

No matter how you spin it, it is still bat # crazy.

Not to mention that the store manager killed him, not the owner....so your livelihood argument doesn't apply.

I'm not a betting man, but I bet the manager had murder on his mind the minute he started chasing that guy. Our culture is producing these sociopaths by the dozens.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intelligenthoodlum33

Not to mention that the store manager killed him, not the owner....so your livelihood argument doesn't apply.

It's relatively the same thing. I own a business and I expect my managers to carry out their duties no different than I would. Otherwise they don't deserve a management position. I'm not saying I would go off killing people that stole from me either... But whatever is set out in a situation of theft, I would expect them to handle it the same.

No one said anything about him being in the same league as a serial killer.

There are different types and different degrees of murder. If people are asking this guy to be prosecuted under 1st degree murder than you are certainly comparing him to the likes of a serial killer.

I'm not a betting man, but I bet the manager had murder on his mind the minute he started chasing that guy. Our culture is producing these sociopaths by the dozens.

People with "murder on their mind" generally acquire a weapon to carry out the task. You would have an extremely hard time proving premeditation in this case...
edit on 21-1-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It started out fine. He pursued the guy, confronted him and demanded he return the stolen item. The guy assaulted him and then tried to flee. SO he responded. This is where it started to get bad. Individuals have every right to subdue people who have commited crimes especially if they are the victim. He even had extra people arrive that could assist in that. They all however piled on the guy and smothered him.

If this was a group of police officers I would demand that they be tried for involuntary manslaughter. This was not murder but it was excessive. The guy was down and pinned on the ground. At that point the stolen item could be recovered and the man held by several individuals and turned over to police. If the manager was not sure that he could hold him until police arrived he should not have got in that position. Once he has the guy down I can understand a reluctance to let him up because you open yourself up to being attacked further, however if you dont know how to hold someone down without choking them then dont take the fight to the ground. Bad call on the managers part.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join