It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video Captures Death of CVS Toothpaste Shoplifter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

CHICAGO — Chilling video has surfaced of the 2010 choking death of a homeless shoplifter at the hands of a CVS store manager who chased him into an alley. And a U.S. congressman is now calling for a special investigation into the death of 35-year-old Anthony Kyser, who stole toothpaste from the drug store before his death nearly three years ago.

The grainy surveillance video from the alley near the Little Village CVS was obtained from a source by DNAinfo.com Chicago. It shows Kyser's final minutes on May 8, 2010, and the beginning of the police investigation into the case. No charges were filed in Kyser's death, which police ruled an accident. CVS has said the manager acted in self-defense after being attacked by Kyser. The video appears to capture Kyser fleeing to the alley with the store manager close behind him. There's a brief struggle before Kyser hits the pavement, with the store manager on top of him.

Another man appears to punch and kick Kyser, at one point stepping down on his hand while the store manager remains atop Kyser. More bystanders join in, helping to hold Kyser down. Eventually, Kyser stops flailing his legs, the video shows. A police officer arrives minutes later, followed by more cops and then an ambulance. But emergency responders are unable to revive Kyser. Sprawled on the pavement, Kyser's dead body remains in the frame when the recording stops.

"The video shows that Anthony Kyser was being choked by the CVS store manager and that no one did anything to help," said Jack Kennedy, an attorney with Cochran, Cherry, Givens, Smith & Montgomery, the law firm representing Kyser's mother. "I think it’s appalling that CVS maintains that an employee can choke someone to death if they steal from a CVS store."

Well ATS, I just got finished reading this, apparently this happened back in 2010, and it's just now coming to the news feed. Apparently, a 35 year old homeless man had shoplifted some toothpaste from a CVS pharmacy. The manager chases him into an alley, they have a brief scuffle, and then more people rush in to restrain the homeless man while the CVS manager chokes him to death.

Now, I think this is pretty sad that somebody lost their life over a tube of toothpaste. I'm also sickened to see that CVS claimed the manager used self defense, and the police ruled it as an accident.. even though the medical examiner ruled it a homicide.

Now the mother has filed a law suit against CVS, and the manager is still claiming self defense. Unbelievable.
There is a video there, it contains what happened, I didn't watch it, because reading it was sick enough, but it's there.

Source

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This really sad. No one should die over toothpaste and I am surprised the store and the cops think this is okay.

Just goes to show the state of the world today. Human life is meaningless to so many.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelligenthoodlum33
This really sad. No one should die over toothpaste and I am surprised the store and the cops think this is okay.

Just goes to show the state of the world today. Human life is meaningless to so many.

Yeah, I figure the easiest way would've been to just call the police, I'm sure the homeless guy had been around that area a lot, perhaps begging for change or whatever the case, all they had to do was ID the guy and do what they needed to.

It just shows people use force when it's not needed. The sad part is people ran in to RESTRAIN the homeless man, it just goes to show you what the average person thinks of a homeless person.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
WTF being in a rear naked choke for that long will kill an elephant. 3 or 4 seconds is really enough to put someone out or really close that shows a murder outright. The guy wasnt aggressive and tried to get away too i hope CVS has to pay big time. They already kill innocents with their so called vaccines and all the dope that they push KARMA is a B.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I will have to wait until the entire story comes out, there must have been a little more to this for so many bystanders to jump in like they did.
If they go after the manager they need to go after all those people who jumped in, but that kinda removes the race element and therefor does not make a "good" story.

And while it is easy to blame the big bad CVS if you notice the manager was holding him down while someone else was punching and kicking.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
I will have to wait until the entire story comes out, there must have been a little more to this for so many bystanders to jump in like they did.
If they go after the manager they need to go after all those people who jumped in, but that kinda removes the race element and therefor does not make a "good" story.

And while it is easy to blame the big bad CVS if you notice the manager was holding him down while someone else was punching and kicking.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

It is possible he might have been known around that area as an annoyance, perhaps an aggressive type, but we aren't sure right now.

But honestly, I don't think anybody should act in this manner, especially over a 2$ tube of toothpaste. The right thing to do would've been to help the guy, and pay for 2$ or so for the toothpaste... but no, they decided to handle it Chicago style I suppose.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

You really have to wait until the full story comes out. For all you know the guy was reaching for a weapon the entire time, you really have to wait until you have all the facts before you can pass judgment.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
reply to post by eXia7

You really have to wait until the full story comes out. For all you know the guy was reaching for a weapon the entire time, you really have to wait until you have all the facts before you can pass judgment.

That is true, but it has taken 3 years for this to even surface, so who knows when we'll ever know. But I don't think the guy was grabbing a weapon after people have pretty much dog piled on him.

Didn't seem like he was acting aggressive in the video.
edit on 1/18/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Don't steal. If it were the police that did this I might have something to say. But it wasn't. It was a store manager. If a business owner accidentally kills someone trying to protect their property, oh well. Stop stealing...

I don't have much sympathy for thieves.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
At what point was that self defence

Guns for the homeless? Jeez what happened to justice ?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Don't steal. If it were the police that did this I might have something to say. But it wasn't. It was a store manager. If a business owner accidentally kills someone trying to protect their property, oh well. Stop stealing...

I don't have much sympathy for thieves.

Well, the whole protect your property thing is nice and all, but honestly if you think about it, a tube of toothpaste is roughly 2$ to the consumer, I'm sure CVS paid maybe around .50 - .70 cents per tube. So honestly, is anybody's life worth a tube of discount toothpaste?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Lets ban the movie Home Alone because Kevin steals a toothbrush and is chased down by a cop for a good half mile till the copper slips on the ice.

Seriously, ...it is a buck for toothpaste, hardly worth killing for. Talk about over reacting bigtime. eesh, disgusting.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
an unnecessary, sad, pointless and very modern waste of a life.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Whats wrong with all the bystanders and all the cops that are there. The whole video not one person checks for a pulse or anything. One cops gives him a couple of kicks to see if he moves and then everybody just watches.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeussusZ
Whats wrong with all the bystanders and all the cops that are there. The whole video not one person checks for a pulse or anything. One cops gives him a couple of kicks to see if he moves and then everybody just watches.

It looks like the desensitization of America is in full effect here. I've heard stories of people just walking past people hit by cars on bicycles and stuff, it's crazy to know that I could be dying on the side of the road, and nobody would stop to help.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I watched the video. I don't see this as a case of self defense at all.

IMO the employee used excessive force. There were plenty of people around who were offering assistance and there was no need to choke the man unconscious.

What surprised me most is that the police officers who arrived on scene made no attempt to help the man lying on the ground. Why didn't they asses the mans condition and try to revive him?

A tragic ending that could have very easily been avoided.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The only thing i can say to something like this story is that even
a thieves life is worth more than 2$, no one could ever convince
me otherwise, this man took something that could have been
replaced, easily even, and he payed with something he can never
get back, no matter how sorry the manager is or how much he
feels justified, he took a mans life........ over toothpaste........ if anyone
can somehow make that ok then im afraid i could not see those that
did as moral in any way, a persons life is their most valuable
possession, we only get one and no one can ever give it back.
edit on 18-1-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Your attitude disgusts me more than any petty thief ever could.

I hope that one day you reflect upon your comments and feel ashamed of yourself.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

I see it too. That dude in the blue shirt puts a rear naked choke on the man and never relents. You see the victim struggle somewhat so the hold is not constant apparently. The fact remains that that guy held the choke long enough to kill him on purpose. I've watched enough MMA to recognize it. Its a move that fighters "tap out" of almost immediately to prevent loss of consciousness. The fight is stopped by the ref and it is over.

This man intends to choke the life out of his victim. If he knows the hold well enough to employ it, then he knows that continuously holding it like that will kill someone. And thats exactly what he does.

Because he cites "self defense" makes it all the more apparent he is being deceptive. You don't choke someone by the neck for longer than unconsciousness unless you mean to kill them.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by ed1320

This man intends to choke the life out of his victim. If he knows the hold well enough to employ it, then he knows that continuously holding it like that will kill someone.

Really? did you have to go to gladiator school to learn that if you choke a person long enough they will die?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join