It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally! 1st F-22 Raptor delivered

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
A carrier optomised F-22 was ruled out early in the development programe. The required work had the potential to kill the program with cost blow outs and many features required for carrier ops affected stealth ability.

Carrier planes have usually been more successful in transition to an Air Force asset than vis a vie (USN/USAF F-4 -v- projected USN F-111B)

Cheers

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by craigandrew
A carrier optomised F-22 was ruled out early in the development programe. The required work had the potential to kill the program with cost blow outs

Actually the USN and the USAF worked out a deal whereas the Navy would buy a carrier version of the F-22 (with variable swept wings no less) and the USAF would buy the ill fated A-12 Avenger II stealth bomber. Each would have offset production costs a bit for both programs. However, the A-12 was dommed and that too was one of the reasons the navy abandoned the F-22 idea. Funny the Navy has never been very interested in stealth. In Ben Rich's autobiography, he talks about trying to pitch a naval version of the F-117 with no luck. The arrival of the JSF will finally give the navy a stealthy strike aircraft.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bios

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Any one know how long it will be untill the first active service squadron of these things will be up and running?

I think there are already 25 Raptors in a training squadron - I forget which AFB they are at - today's delivery represnets the first delivery to a US Combat squadron. I hear delivery will probably accelerate around the first of the year.
Journalists seem to have a hard time getting the facts straight, I don't know why this is.

There are 40 Raptors operational between Nellis and Tyndall. There are an additional 8 "test" platforms that are not designed to be operational AC. The AC in the story is tail number 4041, the 41st. operational Raptor.

Marietta Daily Journal: F/A-22 Takes Big Step Today
[Marietta Daily Journal, Oct. 27, 2004]

By Ross Willis
MDJ Business Editor

MARIETTA - Today, "Raptor 4041" rolls off the production line at Lockheed Martin Marietta.

Raptor 4041 is the first operation-ready F/A-22 Raptor fighter aircraft scheduled for delivery to the U.S. Air Force 1st Fighter Wing's 27th Fighter Squadron at Langley Air Force Base, Va.

With $3.6 billion approved in the federal defense appropriations for the current 2005 fiscal year, and at about $130 million apiece, every milestone in the development of this historic fighter is cause for celebration - for both Air Force and Lockheed Martin officials.

Col. Frank Gorenc, U.S. Air Force 1st Fighter Wing Commander, will be on hand with staff from Langley to join Lockheed Martin officials for the rollout.

A second generation stealth fighter, the F/A-22 is the most technically advanced fighter ever built, fully capable of maintaining U.S. dominance in the world's skies through the first half of this century, according to Lockheed officials.

The first 40 Raptors built were sent for testing to Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., for tactical development to Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas and for training programs at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.

Prior to its flight to Langley next spring, the Raptor with tail number 4041 will undergo a series of post-production modifications suggested by research at Edwards, Nellis and Tyndall, application of the "low observable" coatings for which stealth aircraft are known, and acceptance flights by both Lockheed Martin and U.S. Air Force pilots, according to Lockheed Martin spokesman Rob Fuller.

The military's purchase plans for the F/A-22 include 276 Raptors and extends through 2013.
The Nellis Raptors are very important in that they will develop the tactics by USAF Weapons School experts that will be used by all Raptor pilots and will continue to be further refined. Developing tactics for a plane that has stealth, supercruise, unmatched maneuverability/agility, and intergrated avionics is challenging and takes a lot of time.

The Tyndall Raptors will become the training center for all initial Raptor pilots and maintainers. Tyndall Raptors are also special in that they are all combat capable planes, meaning they all have the software and hardware necessary to go to war just like the "Operational" squadrons at a moments notice.

The Edwards and IOT&E Nellis test F/A-22s has now reached 7,000+hrs of total flight test time since September 1997 (And all without a Class A mishap, which is an incredible accomplishment).

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the facts

I knew that there was at least one test squad, but I didn't know we already had 40 of these bad boys!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Was it Raptor they spoke of upgrading the evaluation models up to full specs to boost numbers or am I getting confused?

They did that with the B-2s from memory.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
it's about time!

Now it's time to work that price per jet down...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I think this is worng. The Lockheed Martin, Rapto, Boeing, and Air Force website do not mention anything about a delivery, Plus the people at Langely told me that it isnt there and that they wont be delivered till May.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by roniii259
I think this is worng. The Lockheed Martin, Rapto, Boeing, and Air Force website do not mention anything about a delivery, Plus the people at Langely told me that it isnt there and that they wont be delivered till May.

Roniii,

Ok, I'm embarassed,
It appears that you are correct and the New York Times article is wrong.

I don't know anyone around Langley except for Intelgurl and she's out of town on business, but I called her on her cell, and she called the appropriate people and found out that Raptor # 4041 is still on the tarmac at Lockheed's Marietta, GA plant at Dobbins AFB.

She said that it's being flight tested, also that final tweaks are being made, and special aesthetic packaging is being prepared for when the fighter is officially handed over sometime in the next few months.

I guess I can't believe the NY Times, either they were mistakened or they over-sensationalized the story.

When the NY Times said that Raptor #4041 had been delivered at 9:27am on October 27th, the reality was that it had come off the assembly line at that time on that date.

Again, this updated information courtesy of Intelgurl.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join