It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally! 1st F-22 Raptor delivered

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I think the only 100% accurate assessment of the cost of the Raptor was made when the UK MoD said "Too much for us!"

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wow, and who are we going to use it against? Last I heard the Iran airforce was three guys flapping their arms until the bombs on their back blew up. 258 Million DOLLARS! To what? Bomb a 12 dollar tent?

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Wow, and who are we going to use it against? Last I heard the Iran airforce was three guys flapping their arms until the bombs on their back blew up. 258 Million DOLLARS! To what? Bomb a 12 dollar tent?

They would only bomb a 10 dollar tent when a opposing person in the tent, is priceless to kill.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

Its called the War on Terrorism, and it isn't going to end anytime soon.

last time I checked Wars arn't free.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
which countries will be buying the f-22?
and how many will they purchase.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
USA only. I think the original plan was for something like 750 but this was reducced to 445, I think the number is now down to about 250, give or take a few.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
USA only. I think the original plan was for something like 750 but this was reducced to 445, I think the number is now down to about 250, give or take a few.

Actually (unfortunatly) I think the current number is 220.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
War on Terrorism, and it isn't going to end anytime soon.

- You'll never justify something like the F22 with that 'War on Terrorism' line.

Thats just laughable.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

- You'll never justify something like the F22 with that 'War on Terrorism' line.

Thats just laughable.

I dissagree.

Example: If Iran harbors terrorist and supports terrorist attacks and they fund it, We will then target them.

If you think about it, you can use Terrorism, to act apon any country.

and lets say that we want to bomb a country without being detected, Then this will just be one more stealthy option in our book.

[edit on 28-10-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

If you think about it, you can use Terrorism, to act apon any country.

Including your own, thinks I.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Hoo-rah! This bird's a beauty, it will surely dominate the skies. The footage of this thing is incredible, the turns and whatnot it makes, simply amazing.

Kudos to LM on another great bird

-wD

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Thats just laughable.

Hate to say it, but I have to agree. This bird is for a conentional war against a country that has a modern air force.

Does anyone really think that they would risk this new toy on a bombing run against terrorists on the ground when there are AC-130's, B-52's, B-1's, F-16's, A-10's, F-15's, F/A-18's, Apaches etc etc etc.

If we are going for a stealthy strike mission, it will be F-117's for most, and B-2's for the dangerous missions.

There is no way they would risk a brand new fighter lke the Raptor on something like that.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

AMM
Hate to say it, but I have to agree. This bird is for a conentional war against a country that has a modern air force.

Does anyone really think that they would risk this new toy on a bombing run against terrorists on the ground when there are AC-130's, B-52's, B-1's, F-16's, A-10's, F-15's, F/A-18's, Apaches etc etc etc.

If we are going for a stealthy strike mission, it will be F-117's for most, and B-2's for the dangerous missions.

There is no way they would risk a brand new fighter lke the Raptor on something like that.

I'd agree.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Especially when combat losses amongst your teen series designs are so laughably (unless youre in the wreckage) low......I'm appalled decision makers as so against building fresh replacement frames with new systems when so much of the expense of the new generation fighters seems....redundant.

So.....when is the LM swim suit calandar coming out. Raptor was made for it.

I love being so non PC

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
BTW, I found some killer vids that show off this amazing jet.

F/A-22 Videos

more videos - BTW, the 70mb video is excellent.

[edit on 29-10-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I heard that each f-22 will be delivered with 6 engines (2 built in, 4 reserve) 8 mil.$ each/48 mil. $ all, that could be one of the reasons why is it so expensive. Or are all planes delivered with aditional engines?

[edit on 29-10-2004 by longbow]

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The price is certainly high but the F-22 is supposed to eventually replace a LOT of different aircraft, not just the F-15. I think on NOVA they mentioned:

* It's VTOL - A much needed Harrier replacement.
* It replaces the F-18 Hornet and F-14 Tomcat (They showed aircraft carrier testing on the PBS special).
* It replaces the F-15 line of Aircraft.
* I think it's even going to replace the F-16 and A-10 (sniff..I hope not the durable and awesome A-10).

Can we compare the savings on maintaining all these different aircraft vs the F-22? Perhaps once more get built the price will go down?

Anyone more informed here?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrNice
The price is certainly high but the F-22 is supposed to eventually replace a LOT of different aircraft, not just the F-15. I think on NOVA they mentioned:

* It replaces the F-18 Hornet and F-14 Tomcat (They showed aircraft carrier testing on the PBS special).
* I think it's even going to replace the F-16 and A-10 (sniff..I hope not the durable and awesome A-10).

Can we compare the savings on maintaining all these different aircraft vs the F-22? Perhaps once more get built the price will go down?

You must have been watching a program about the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The F-22 is land based with no vtol capability.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrNice

Yeah like just_a_pilot said, your mixing the F-22 with the F-35.

The only plane that the F-22 is made to replace is the F-15, all those other planes is what the F-35 will replace. But i doubt they will get rid of the A-10, that one will be here for a long time to come.

BTW, your meant STOVL, (the F-35 cannot take off verticly like the harrier)

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Yup - the A-10 wil be around for a while longer. There was just a modernization program aproved.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join