It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Australia women calls on ban on Boomerang in Controlled Weapons Act

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

How about some respect for Australia, Australia's identity and Australians in general? This thread was created for the sole purpose of ragging on Australia and its laws. After all, the article linked in the OP is from October 2011.

It appears that the majority of members have played along on the belittlement of Australia.

And to those who are implying that the boomerang is not a weapon...it most definitely is. The boomerang was used as a hunting weapon...it was used to kill live animals. One of its greatest roles was that of killing. So no one can tell me that the boomerang is just a toy, or that it is a harmless stick.

edit on 19-1-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
don’t get your knickers in a twist over it. We are all laughing having a good time here. We don’t blame you guys for your government’s overprotective nature hell I feel for ya. A lot of yanks are afraid our countries in that direction lord knows it is dumb enough to try. You want something to harp on about my country I will give you one out of hundreds if not thousands of dumb laws. In Louisiana they have a law on the books that says you can’t keep an alligator tied to a public light pole. I can’t imagine who might have done that to where it actually pissed enough people off to make them pass a law but it had to have happened at some point.

No one ever said that boomerangs couldn’t be dangerous and if you read the thread you will see where many people have testified to that fact. Keep in mind a club is dangerous too, anything can be dangerous if it is heavy and thrown at you but it is just dumb if you go and outlaw everything that has ever hurt someone. Keep it fun if you want look up some dumb crap the US has outlawed and start a thread then U2U it to me and I will laugh alongside of you. I learned that your government outlawed laser pointers cause of this thread and certain water pistols. You have to admit boomerangs are fair game in their eyes. Maybe you should be upset about that. Maybe you have something against boomerangs because you had one come back on you. Maybe you support the idea I can’t tell by your post.

edit on 19-1-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

How about some respect for Australia, Australia's identity and Australians in general? This thread was created for the sole purpose of ragging on Australia and its laws. After all, the article linked in the OP is from October 2011.

It appears that the majority of members have played along on the belittlement of Australia.

And to those who are implying that the boomerang is not a weapon...it most definitely is. The boomerang was used as a hunting weapon...it was used to kill live animals. One of its greatest roles was that of killing. So no one can tell me that the boomerang is just a toy, or that it is a harmless stick.

edit on 19-1-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

The best thing about australia is that we are good at lauging at ourrselves. No matter what.

That being said I would not like to be hit by a boomerang

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Australia is quickly turning into the ultimate nanny state. They are fining us for all sorts of anything they can get away with, and so many people are complying:
www.brisbanetimes.com.au...
Police fining kids for escaping the heat
www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...
Police raising revenue by fining people eating and driving or people who have their music up too loud in their car.
edit on 19-1-2013 by thoughtfuldeliquent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

edit on 19-1-2013 by Timely because: redacted

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hey, let's not forget the kid in Mad Max 2. He was pretty bad ass with that boomerang, thanks to whomever posted that video? Why did that idiot try to catch it?

But in all seriousness, banning boomerangs would be stupid. My brother sent me one once, never could get it to work right, but I imagine it hurt like a sonofabitch if it hit you.

This thread has been good for some laughs. Then there was the person who was upset that it was making fun of Aussies, as if the other Aussies weren't having laughs on this one as well. I'm glad most Aussies can laugh at themselves when necessary. I wish everybody else could as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
One night me and some mates went down to a dam to nail some cane toads with golf clubs. During my backswing i clocked one mate fair in the head with a six iron and split it open.

Perhaps we should ban golf clubs.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I would advise all Aussies to download a 3D printable boomerang before they too are outlawed........

3D printable boomerang

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns
I would advise all Aussies to download a 3D printable boomerang before they too are outlawed........

3D printable boomerang
How the hell can a man hunt a drop bear without the trusted boomerang, what is this world coming to. Soon you wont be allowed to smear vegemite on the back of your neck and need a licence to ride kangaroos.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I had somehow managed to acquire a traditional style wooden boomerang back in my high school years. Tell ya what, you wouldn't want to catch that with your face because it'd be lights out. If the wind catches it just right, it actually comes back somewhat harder than you threw it. (With real - not nerf - boomerangs, it's wiser to use the "pancake catch" method or just simply let it hit the ground.) Although it was sort of fun - because it actually worked unlike the toys, I eventually I ended up giving it away because too many people and houses around and I didn't want to get into trouble for accidentally breaking something.

Still you'd have to be pretty dull not to see a boomerang coming. Doesn't take much to side step it if you're watching it come at you. (And if thrown past you - it's a boomerang. Duh. Just move off to the side of the path it came at you on.) If anyone is close and quick enough to surprise you with one, a glass bottle or a rock would work just as well. Not like banning boomerangs would help you there.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

So, if she gets her way, will they ban this, too?

Guess no one's would be coming back, then.

Maybe we could ban idiots, instead.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Wow, I am even more surprised reading some of the comments here. If only half of it is true then the amount of ordinary stuff banned in Australia is crazy. WTF?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I think it's important that we all stop and take a breath here for a moment.

Some of you may scoff and laugh about the idea of boomerang crime in Australia. Laugh it up - it's a serious social problem here.

As you can see from the police CCTV footage above, every year our fair country suffers the senseless boomerang killings of dozens of bikies wearing arseless leather chaps. It's an epidemic and I for one am glad that it's getting some exposure in the MSM. The sooner we ban 90 degree angles AND wood, the better.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join