It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold Seekers/Metal Detectorists Discussion Thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

I was commenting on your action not your rationalization of it. No assumptions there.

What you are stating is almost the same as saying that I'm making assumptions why eggs have yoke, it is a biological imperative to provide for one's offspring and protect one's family, acting differently would be indeed a strange and unnatural behavior that would indeed be more open to conjectures and reflection of ones rationality.

Human society is structured against individuality and in a personal scale against natural law, where a person importance is diminished for the good of the greater social organism. Most like our individual cells submit to being part of a person.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight
reply to post by ANNED

Can you give us a few tips on choosing the right metal detector?

For gold the Gold Master V-Sat, the gold bug 2, and Mine lab GP extreme were what everyone i knew used.

they each have there special use depending on size and depth of the gold

The gold bug 2 finds very small nuggets but not very deep.
The gold master is for bigger and deeper nuggets. but will miss the very small nuggets.
The mine lab GP will find the large deep nuggets the other two miss.

when i am working mine dumps i like the gold bug 2 for scanning hidden high grade as i take down the dump.
the gold master is good for scanning new areas. and i used the mine lab in very worked out areas to find the big ones that were deep and missed by other people
I also used the mine lab on dry lake beds for meteorites.

Watch those hot rocks and know how to spot meteorites. i have worked old gold areas that have been worked heavy and found meteorites that were missed by the gold hunters because they did not know how to identify them.

www.goldfeverprospecting.com...
www.kellycodetectors.com...
www.goldgold.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
S&F, this is definitely a cool subject that should have a topic of its own. Gold is all over the place if you know how to find it. Reminds me of this video.

I myself hunt artifacts and don't metal detect but know some older gent's that do and they sometimes they find alot of civil war relics that are nearly as valueable as precious metals. I frequent this site treasurenet and some of the stuff those guys find metal detecting blows my mind.

and you talk about some serious dedication.. You can hint at where a an old aboriginal village or quarry site are and a handful of people may try to "claim jump". If you give a hint as to where civil war relics have been found though the metal detecting folk are wild! They will parachute in and set up a hidden base camp. Its pretty funny, those guys are serious! More than likely because they have already had a big score. Lucrative business metal detecting is.. its not just for senior citizens on the beach anymore.

edit on 17-1-2013 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

If you give a hint as to where civil war relics have been found though the metal detecting folk are wild! They will parachute in and set up a hidden base camp. Its pretty funny, those guys are serious! More than likely because they have already had a big score.

Ha Ha. Yeah, I see them around here sometimes with the dollar signs in thier eyes - the gold fever. There are some succsesful fossickers (what we call people looking for gold) here and the not so experienced ones sometimes try to follow them when they see them going out. They often get led on a wild goose chase.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

The gold master is for bigger and deeper nuggets. but will miss the very small nuggets.

when i am working mine dumps i like the gold bug 2 for scanning hidden high grade as i take down the dump.
the gold master is good for scanning new areas. and i used the mine lab in very worked out areas to find the big ones that were deep and missed by other people

Thanks for that info. Therein is a problem with metal detecting, they cost upward of 4K each. You need to find 3 ounces (90g or 5 millilitres) to make that kind of money back, let alone your fuel costs.

When you say dumps, do you mean the stuff that came out of a mine shaft? Are you talking about big mines or ones that were worked by just a couple of men?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
People will find more use for metal detectors when searching for the cache of assault weapons that people have buried in case of a ban or confiscation order.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

When SHTF gold will be as valuable as cash. Its a false currency. Cant eat it, will not keep you warm and you can't drink it. When SHTF I imagine there will be many people who starve to death on a pile of gold.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinrad

Thanks for that info. Therein is a problem with metal detecting, they cost upward of 4K each. You need to find 3 ounces (90g or 5 millilitres) to make that kind of money back, let alone your fuel costs.

When you say dumps, do you mean the stuff that came out of a mine shaft? Are you talking about big mines or ones that were worked by just a couple of men?

Mine tailing or dumps are the waste rock from the mine
you also want to check around any old building foundations or mill foundation many times employees hide gold from the mine owners.
In areas where the mines were high grade but worked out fast this was very common and the employees knew that within a couple years the mine would close and they could come back and get the gold or high grade ore.

if you are a skilled underground miner and have a friend that is for safety underground parts of the mine can hold very good gold but its only for the professorial miners that have the right safety gear and know what they are doing.

I am also trained in mine rescue and have had to rescue people or recover bodies of people that did not know what they were doing.
big mines little mines are both good

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
When SHTF gold will be as valuable as cash. Its a false currency. Cant eat it, will not keep you warm and you can't drink it. When SHTF I imagine there will be many people who starve to death on a pile of gold.

I agree with you Superhans. If you read my post carefully you would see that I was referring to when Fan Hitting starts, or AS it starts to Hit The Fan gold will soar, how long for I dont know, but it might be weeks or months or a couple of years. TPTB still have a few tricks up their arms to prolong the palliative state of the economy. There may be enough time to find some gold and buy the things for preping between when the gold price soars and when it crashes or becomes as worthless as road base. Or find some now and keep it for when the price really soars to buy the stuff you will need. The difference between us and them is that we are awake to the fact that this is going to happen, whilst they are ignoring the possibility and when it happens will be totally unprepared and have to do exactly what "the government" tells them to.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Mine tailing or dumps are the waste rock from the mine
you also want to check around any old building foundations or mill foundation many times employees hide gold from the mine owners.
In areas where the mines were high grade but worked out fast this was very common and the employees knew that within a couple years the mine would close and they could come back and get the gold or high grade ore.

Thanks again ANNED, good pointers. We call old dumps "mullock heaps" over here or tailings nowadays.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

The SHTF has been going on for centuries now and gold has always been a desireable asset.

I'm sure there must be used metal detectors to be had now and by the time I'm ready to try my luck at it.
edit on 18-1-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight
reply to post by dainoyfb

What about wind-up?

I purchased a small solar powered battery charger for about $30.00 off the net. It charges all sizes of small household type batteries. It's about the same size as any electric battery charger of the approximate caliber. Then, you just need to get rechargeable batteries. They are spendy so I just get them when I can, adding to my collection.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Serious question here guys... Has anyone used a metal detector for meteorite hunting? I don't mean tried..but actually FOUND one that way?

I've wondered for awhile why not? I mean they are metal in many cases that should stand out, right? They are also paid for by the GRAM weight. More valuable in some cases than the rarest street drugs for how that whole market goes.

I happened to inherit a really nice, high end detector though and have just been wondering... With access to 40 acres of wooded land with an old creek/small river running through it in the northern edges of the Ozarks...what might there be to find in the way of value outside treasure hunting civil war stuff (which this isn't in the right spot for according to any maps I've seen for civil war actions)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My nr 1 hobby is metaldetecting

They don,t have goldmines here

I've been hunting for about 10 years now, I search most of the time for old coins and WO2 stuff...
Most precious find is a 16th century gold coin, wich I sold for 800 euro

But the amount of hours you spend hunting, you aint gonna get rich over here, I just love it because you are away from people and in nature

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

So what can you find? Every so often someone does find a gemstone or gold or silver coin on the beach. However, if it was easy, the beach would be standing-room only. Remember that gold and silver are heavy, and readily sink. They have been sinking into the sand at the bottom of the ocean since the year 1755. While heavy storms may stir up some of this booty, the odds are pretty slim of finding anything on the shore. But it does happen, and you could be the next one to find a piece of this historical treasure.

voices.yahoo.com...

So, would buying underwater deep detection equipment be the answer in finding the deeply buried gold and silver?

I'm leaning towards a 'yes'.

A screw driver is used to pry coins out of cracks and holes. A modified sand screw may be used for recovering targets from a thick layer, up to several feet, of sand. This tool can solve the problem of sand filling up the hole faster than you can excavate it.

metaldetectingworld.com...
edit on 18-1-2013 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There is a show on TV called Meteorite Men, they do it all the time.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Does anyone know if there are underwater detectors available? I was thinking: gold is found in creeks and streambeds because it gets washed there, what about rivers? SCUBA gear is only about 50 years old, why cant you porspect the bottoms of rivers in gold areas? The rivers here in Aus are usually pretty slow moving so the current is not a problem, in fact it could help you by moving away the debris as you dug. There are a couple of rivers flowing through the goldfields here that I would like to try. It would probably take a lot of dives to find someting but then again because it has never been done before, you have a good chance of finding bigger pieces.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
These guys hit the jackpot

Pair of metal detector friends discover three quarters of a TON of Iron Age coins worth £10m buried in a field in Jersey after searching for 30 years

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 2-2-2013 by drneville because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I wanted to get a metal detector and have some fun with it.
but what ones are of decent quality and affordable? it turns out there are some brands that are meant for finding gold/precious metals? but dont they all do that just as well?
edit on 2-2-2013 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bisman
I wanted to get a metal detector and have some fun with it.
but what ones are of decent quality and affordable? it turns out there are some brands that are meant for finding gold/precious metals? but dont they all do that just as well?
edit on 2-2-2013 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

For a beginner detector i would recommend a White's Coinhunter or a Garrett 250 or something, the higher end detectors have a bit mor depht and a better discrimination, I know some bom (WO2) hunters over here, they use a Minelab e-Track, exelent for the bigger stuff, a little less for coins etc...
I hunt mostly coins and use a XP Advantis, I have had several but this one performs the best for me

Neville

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join