It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"NRA, Congress stymied CDC gun research budget"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
CDC vs. NRA

The NRA was infuriated with a 1993 study sponsored by the CDC that concluded having a gun at home offered little protection, but it increased almost three-fold the risk of one family member shooting another.

CDC funding into gun violence research has plummeted 96 percent since 1996, to just $100,000 of last year's $5.6 billion CDC budget. Asked if gun violence a legitimate public health issue Bob Barr, a former Georgia congressman who sits on the board of the NRA, responded, "Absolutely not."

Barr added: "The issue of firearms violence is handled and ought to be handled as a law enforcement matter. We don't need government involved in this. It is all about the big C: control."

The next step is up to Congress whether to approve President Obama's request for $10 million to study this issue of gun violence.

Calling it right now...eventually owning a weapon will be considered a disease.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Maybe that's why they've been doing all these zombie drills and making Zombie simulation training videos. I mean think about it.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Not sure...Seems kind of bizarre to have the CDC do any type of firearm research. I would understand if the ATF or DARPA...or they put a few of their universities on it...but the Center for DISEASE CONTROL?? Flippin' REALLY?!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gltichy

Well the CDC would be called in case of a Zombie Outbreak.

edit on 17-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The NRA and GOP are full of crazy people. Funny how everything BUT guns is the problem and going as far as trying to blame movies and video games. but 40% of gun sales being conducted without background checks is okay in their minds.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

I'm cool with BG checks...but wasting money to label any gun owner a disease? Ridiculous.

p.s. - screw the NRA.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Gltichy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gltichy
Not sure...Seems kind of bizarre to have the CDC do any type of firearm research. I would understand if the ATF or DARPA...or they put a few of their universities on it...but the Center for DISEASE CONTROL?? Flippin' REALLY?!

Same thought I initially had. Why the CDC? Could it be in order to further an agenda? As the article points out, a "...previous study sponsored by the CDC [...] concluded having a gun at home offered little protection, but it increased almost three-fold the risk of one family member shooting another."

If they wanted an independent study, there are probably thousands of independent organizations that could conduct this "study" for a lot less than $10 million....

top topics

join