It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

# of MALE secret societies VS. # of FEMALE secret societies

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by insightout

There are some rich white chicks that belong to the mayflower madames or some such they are supposedly related to females from the mayflower when it landed at Plymouth, I am not sure if they're auxilliary shoot off of a male counterpart, I have never heard of a male counterpart for them so, maybe that is one?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
It's a pretty well known fact that women can't keep a secret.

I'm not so sure about that! The women in my family are grossly more manipulative and secretive in nature- which can be both terrifying and admirable in different situations. It's all relative, I'm guessing.

If you entertain the thought , maybe there is something to the whole "better at being secret" angle. I mean since a patriarchal paradigm has historically been pervasive in most societies, it may be plausible that women in past have had to operate on the down-low. Though I'm sure that'd be pretty hard to explain to your husband what you were doing when he catches you sneaking out in the middle of the night...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
When you are delivering a baby with your legs spread wide and half a dozen people watching there really isn't much left for a woman to keep secret.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
Most of the men`s secret societies have been around for a long time, 1,000 years or more in some cases.
I`m sure that women weren`t allowed to make secret societies back then, I don`t mean legally not allowed...

The Oracles of Delphi at Pythia were all women and were founded, by some estimates, in aproximately 1,400BCE.

edit on 17-1-2013 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by minettejo
When you are delivering a baby with your legs spread wide and half a dozen people watching there really isn't much left for a woman to keep secret.

What an ignorant comment. How do you think babies were born for most of human history? In the company of women. And ONLY women. Doesn't get much more secret than that.

I love how all the man-trolls come out in threads like this. God forbid you go five minutes without creating a visual of a woman spreading her legs. Jealous much?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There are female secret societies, but they're so secret, I can't talk about them.

Seriously, and don't ask me for links, because I couldn't find it again if I had to, but I read somewhere the elitist females have some sort of female only club, society, Bilderberg ladies, whatever. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Another thought is witches covens. They still exist, and are very small and secretive.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Women tend to be better at keeping personal secrets.

Not so much with the secrets of others.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There is ONE female secret society, called 'womankind', and ALL females are members.
And we men will never, ever know what they're up to.

Good luck, ladies! Here's to ya!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriedBabelBroccoli
Women tend to be better at keeping personal secrets.

Not so much with the secrets of others.

You actually have a good point with that.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs
There is ONE female secret society, called 'womankind', and ALL females are members.
And we men will never, ever know what they're up to.

Good luck, ladies! Here's to ya!

I was going to say that earlier! "Just being a woman IS a secret society."

Case in point: Ever worked in an office with multiple women of child bearing age?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I'm not an 'inducted' member of Theosophy, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm a Theosophist at heart. Always have been, always will be.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't know alot of women who even have an interest in secret societies. Some do but the typical woman these days is either either self absorbed and planning her big day gossiping. Or extremely career and family oriented.
Goofing off about secret societies is crazy to alot of women, Especially western women, who can be incredibly out of touch with reality and perpetuating their own Ideals on men.. I wouldn't call it a secret society though, they often get these ideas from Disney, In one of the earliest forms of brainwashing,in a young western woman's life.

To be honest though, I have 4 younger sisters, and I can tell you with certainty, save for a few select females or very good friends, women hate other women.. I don't know if they could be successful in a major secret society with the emotions they can experience. - just my two cents.

First post on ATS

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Since we are on the subject...

If you are out in the woods with your friends beating on a bodhran and swinging a dead squirrel around your head while chanting at Baal you had better know who Starhawk is.

Yes, Pagans of a Gardnerian bent, the reason why the Universalist Unitarian church lets you hold your little blood-letting-holiday pow wows in their auxillary buildings is because of Starhawk...

She was influential in the decision by the Unitarian Universalist Association to include earth-centered traditions among their sources of faith. She led numerous workshops for, and was an active member of The Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans (CUUPS), an interest group of Unitarians honoring goddess-based, earth-centered, tribal, and pagan spiritual paths.

en.wikipedia.org...

She is also a regular trusted member of various interdisciplinary study groups in private an public universities nationwide. So if you would like to thank someone for the legitimacy that Gardners 1950s creation is enjoying in today's society, thank Starhawk.

She swings an 800lb mojo bag and there is no one quite like her.

No, I'm not Wiccan, just givin' props where they are due.

Consider every other glamour-shot of every would-be occult leader you have ever seen. No, really, think about it, even Crowley posed for multiple glamour shots.

But Starhawk is fine with this...

The woman just turned 61 and is in the prime of her career.

Just sayin'.

Respect the Starhawk.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Xoanon because:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
No mention of the Amazons? As a researcher of pre-ancient women's history I feel I should mention these fascinating tribes that were located across the world in countries such as Greece, Libya and Mesopotamia to name a few.

The hidden history of these women is incredible, and there is a fair bit of material left on the subject if you dig around.

Oh and there are many sisterhood/coven groups of women that still come together sharing and spreading wisdom.

On the whole, secret societies are a patriarchal trait.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fermcudgi

To be honest though, I have 4 younger sisters, and I can tell you with certainty, save for a few select females or very good friends, women hate other women *.. I don't know if they could be successful in a major secret society with the emotions they can experience. - just my two cents.

*bolded for emphasis

But can you really tell me with absolute certainty that women hate other women? That's a sweeping generalization and a stereotype that has never been founded to be representative of all womankind.
You could also argue the point that because of societal gender norms, many men have been discouraged from publicly showcasing their emotions (reinforcing the whole stereotype that "emotion is weakness" and "emasculating") while women are not. These can serve against both men and women, respectively, just as it could serve in their favor.
In a way, if there were/are female secret societies out there, they can make it work by tailoring the overall characteristics of the society to their needs and preferences.

And great first post. Welcome to ATS!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

At the start of the menstrual cycle, some 12-20 primary follicles begin to develop under the influence of elevated FSH to form secondary follicles. The primary follicles have formed from primordial follicles, which developed in the ovary at around 10–30 weeks after conception.

By around day 9 of the cycle, only one healthy secondary follicle remains, with the rest having undergone cellular atresia. The remaining follicle is called the dominant follicle and is responsible for producing large amounts of estradiol during the late follicular phase.

en.wikipedia.org...

There can be only one.

2nd.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Xoanon because:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I forgot one. I can't post much about her, but her name belonged above in my list.

Saint Constance of The Well, Our Lady of Perpetual Motion

Although she must remain hidden and secret, her profound contributions to every area of esoteric study have been tremendous and really cannot be enumerated.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Don't forget Eastern Star

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas
reply to post by Xoanon

Don't forget Eastern Star

Honestly that's why I left it out, I figured someone that actually knew something about it would chime in. You know they start 'em off early in Rainbow Girls and Job's Daughter's.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join