It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

# of MALE secret societies VS. # of FEMALE secret societies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ever since I learned about the existence of secret societies when I was younger, I've always wondered why there are far more secret societies composed strictly of men- far more so than their female counterparts.
Most of the world's societies have historically been patriarchal in nature, which I'm sure plays some role in the variation between the numbers, but is that the only variable contributing to this disparity?

Are there any prominent female secret sisterhoods that are NOT an auxiliary offshoot of an established male group?
Why do you think there's a large discrepancy in the numbers between male and female secret societies?
(Or are they just better at being a "secret" society?
)

Please share your thoughts, ATSers!
I'm looking forward to reading your insights.

edit on 1/17/13 by insightout because: Edit: This is my first thread on this site, so hopefully I haven't mucked this up.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Equal rights say you can, start one maybe?

Equal rights also forbid me for making any sexist jokes about knitting circles or cult designer shoe cartels.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
female secret society.

the best one would be one that involves the kitchen, the laundry room and the bedroom.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by insightout

Well, despite the fact that They (women) come right out of the gate running as their own secret society, Helena Blavatsky started this secret society.

(Or are they just better at being a "secret" society? )

We have to be. And still fail.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Xoanon because:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I'm thinking there are probably way more secret societies for women than for men. Nobody talks, though, because in a patriarchal society it's dangerous to even hint at sisterly organization.

Historically, one hears about a lot of witches being done in but no warlocks suffering the same fates.

Beyond that...I won't tell.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It's a pretty well known fact that women can't keep a secret.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I heard the Oprah Club has some crazy hand shakes...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   

This is a great point OP! I can state the daughters of job, order of the eastern star.. Both being masonic ( then again what secret society isn't ).

Definitely worth thinking about.
edit on 1/17/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/17/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
i personally, off the top of my head, can't think of one single "secrete society" where women are involved.. could it be they're better at the "secret" part? or maybe...

this is not a slight one women whatsoever but women are at each others throat's right from birth i don't think they could exist in a "club" situation. the ladies are competition oriented and are the top most vicious species on the planet. please don't shoot the messenger because we all see it every day, everywhere, it's in the dna.

dudes can be arch enemies but still be as close as brothers and this is why there are a gajillion groups, gangs, "secret societies".. etc..

if it's an "evil" secrete society then i definitely can see the ladies excel in that arena though. sorry, that's personal experience talking haha

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I don't know about the handshaking but Oprah is into some dark doo-doo. I believe she has her own church or religion.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

It's because women are better at keeping a secret of course. Just look at all the men blabbering away here on ATS. When women want to keep a secret it stays a secret.

Also notice how women always go to the ladies room in pairs. Whatever could be going on in there....

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Most of the men`s secret societies have been around for a long time, 1,000 years or more in some cases.
I`m sure that women weren`t allowed to make secret societies back then, I don`t mean legally not allowed, i mean not allowed as in the husband says " you`re going to make a secret society? like hell you are! now get back in thee kitchen wench and fetch me some grog and mutton!"

At this point in time there would be no sense in making a women`s secret society because the century old men`s secret societies have a firm monopoly on power now.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I think it links to how genders are different not only in the physical but in the mental working (exceptions are minorities inside each groups but do exist).

Among other characteristics man are goal and visual oriented, they tend to focus easier in specific tasks, they form longer lasting hierarchical structures in a group of pears, they give equal importance to the complete history of an even/person in comparison women tend to cope better with multiple simultaneous issues and are emotionally driven, not able to focus as intensely and with the same determination in a single tasks they can outperform men in multitasking, they form fluid hierarchical structures and are highly competitive especially amongst their pears, events and persons tend to be remembered and evaluated more by the last action (and the emotional impact it generated). These amongst other characteristics makes women worst at keeping secrets but better a deception, worst in general planning but better in social planning etc...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

LMA
True, but funny!

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
three words..

"stitch and bitch.."

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

No it's a well known fact that men can't. Otherwise how would we know so much about all their "secret" societies' hmmm?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
female secret society.

the best one would be one that involves the kitchen, the laundry room and the bedroom.

hahahah that made my night
I know they probably like too get upto some weird ritualistic
sex..I can just imagine it pmsl..
edit on 17-1-2013 by n00b2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Men had more rights for a long, long time. Men also had more time to "get away".

I think we will start to see more though going forward. Women tend to force their way into male dominated roles these days. We see more corporate woman, even more sororities (frats started first), and more woman in congress, etc. Men usually start something and women tend to come along later. We're still dealing with sex discrimination to a point. It might be that the future of secret societies will depend on woman in a way.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
It's just my opinion but I think men and women are fundamentally different in a number of ways. I know.. I can hear the P.C. police turning on sirens to come correct me as I type. lol...

Men really get into and get off on secrecy, secret codes and handshakes along with everything else that comes with 'We're better cause we're secret and do special stuff'.

Most women I've known. if asked for a password at a door, wouldn't get all hushed and try and come up with one. They'd just tell the guy to knock off the crap and open the stupid door ...or a good kick would follow until said man or door saw the wisdom ..whichever came first.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I would think that the imbalance in rights throughout history might have spawned many secret movements by females.

Though it is just my opinion I think women in general are far more organized and committed then men. I wouldn't be surprised if there were far more female based secret societies than we are aware of. Men are really into bragging rights and strutting their stuff. Women are methodical.

Some countries have a tradition of using all female spec-op teams for guerilla operations with above average success. The Russian partisan fighters during World War Two come to mind.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join