It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom or Safety, Which Do You Choose?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Total safety sure. But there is relative safety. A lot safer sitting here at my computer, than it would be sitting on the freeway

just another illusion as many people die at their desk worldwide everyday. you have done nothing but train yourself to think you're safer at your desk but in reality you're not. thousands of people die everyday in auto accidents with their seat belt on and thousands survive accidents without their seat belts on so which one was truly safe verses the other?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LetsGoViking

That's not our choice. We were born into a world of freedom and control-drive, power-hungry people took over and forced us to live by their rules...

If I had a choice, I would need more information before making a decision. What type of "freedom"? If I choose safety, how will that be maintained?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

In the OP I suggested a definition of both freedom and safety in order to start the conversation:

I assume a continuum starting with absolute freedom to act in manner one wishes, through to the other end where there is complete and utter safety and security for all members of the society. Where in this continuum do you want to live, are you living there now, and how would you propose we make a "perfect" society where freedom and security are comfortably balanced? Who determines what is free or safe in this society?

Given that, let me ask you, how many types of freedom are there, and how are they defined?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Good question, I do not believe it is a matter of choice, only the illusion that there was a choice to begin with.

Over the years key things have happened and continue to happen, many are highly debated right here on ATS, to make you WANT to hand over your freedom for safety. Make no mistake, it has all been planned and that plan is being played out successfully but for those who resist ... we will have no choice.

Scoff at what I said all you want, try to debunk it, It does not matter, You all was told by a great man years ago in 1961, before many of us was even born.

The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings.

Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment.

For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence--on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations. Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed.

Maybe John F. Kennedy was a conspiracy theorist too, No doubt there are those here that will try and debunk his words and what he stood for and make us believe we are misunderstanding what he meant but there was no doubt he greatly feared something and issued a warning to us all.

I believe that the warning was not headed, we have been infiltrated, secrecy abounds and the war is lost and with it our choice and all that is left is the illusion that there ever was one.

Today no war has been declared — and however fierce the struggle may be, it may never be declared in the traditional fashion. Our way of life is under attack. Those who make themselves our enemy are advancing around the globe.

And yet no war has been declared, no borders have been crossed by marching troops, no missiles have been fired. If the press is awaiting a declaration of war before it imposes the self-discipline of combat conditions, then I can only say that no war ever posed a greater threat to our security. If you are awaiting a finding of "clear and present danger," then I can only say that the danger has never been more clear and its presence has never been more imminent.

It requires a change in outlook, a change in tactics, a change in missions — by the government, by the people, by every businessman or labor leader, and by every newspaper.

edit on 30-1-2013 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I want the freedom to provide for my OWN safety.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

My only disagreement is with your statement that we have no choice. We all, at all times, have choices. It's just whether we want to face the consequences of those choices.

edit on 30-1-2013 by LetsGoViking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I want the freedom to provide for my OWN safety.

I completely hear you.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsGoViking
reply to post by Tazkven

We all, at all times, have choices. It's just whether we want to face the consequences of those choices.

That is true ...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I am somewhat saddened, though not surprised, by the lack of: a) rigor of thought on two important concepts, b) lack of responses -denoting a lack of interest in exploring these ideas, c) a+b combined.

It seems that if we take the responses here as indicative of society as a whole, we are in dire trouble! Very few are willing to expend the effort to understand what Freedom or Security means to them personally, let alone the impact on society as a whole and the roll of consequences that will derive from the actions or inaction's of the unaware. It is painfully obvious that most (some were eloquent, thank you few!) prefer prepackaged ideas that don't even require one to add water, and then take those germ-like thoughts and embrace them as tightly as any sports fan would his chosen favorite team.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are in dire trouble, and I can only say "Lock and Load" and may God have mercy on our ignorance.
edit on 31-1-2013 by LetsGoViking because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join