It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This USB-Size Cloud Computer From Dell Is A Total Game Changer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
There is oneother thing I had in mind when I read this threads article. Besides the geocaching, the perfect things for these would be to use them as a deaddrop.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Particularly a wireless dead drop so that you could do a drive-by instead of having to physically interact with the container, thus reducing the risk of giving yourself or the dead drop away.

edit on 17-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: of typos.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

lol i love the dead drop idea. Though i would think thats a sure fire way to get a virus of some kind.

edit on 17-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Also, if power availability at the dead drop location is an issue, some of these devices only draw a couple watts. You could run it on a battery and add a microcontroller that woke it up on a set schedule to listen for logins. I use microcontrollers for many of my projects that draw only nano amps during sleep mode and cost just over a dollar (the PIC12LF1822 comes to mind). Nano amp draw would give you years of standby power on a small, cheap battery such as a 12Vx4.5A SLA.

edit on 17-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: I added clarification.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I think a balance will be found eventually as there are benefits to having things synchronised online but having local processing and storage is just as crucial imo.
Lets face it the model of "cloud" computing has been around for years with platforms like Citrix, Vmware and microsoft vm all of which have been used in the corporate world for many years.
I think one of the benefits of this new cloud era is that software developers are streamlining their apps making the footprint of operating systems + applications much smaller.
With flash memory getting larger in size and mobile processors getting smaller and faster the argument that the cloud fans had regarding getting rid of bulky power wasting PC's goes out the window.

If you could have a device with the power of a small pc with 64 or 128 gb local storage and able to synchronise whatever apps, songs, videos etc from your home library or cloud service that's slightly larger than the size of a usb stick it's a no brainer imo.
Also the idea of not having a local operating system is a pipe dream, hackers, developers, modders and the like would revolt.
Also the economic and environmental benefit of having huge server farms vs small localised devices is a subject open for debate.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You are all unaware of what this entitles. As a computer programmer and technician, I find this to be a huge step in the wrong direction. I suppose I should list all the reasons why.

1.What if I would like to have a Geoforce graphics card instead of, say, AMD Radeon? Would I politely mail them a request?
2. What if the internet shuts down?
3. Censorship and monitoring become so, SO easy. You wouldn't even need RATS, cloud allows remote access in it's very design.
4. What if someone who is computer literate, like myself, choose to keep using Windows XP instead of, say, Windows 8? How would I have such a choice? And what if, even worse, I chose to install a non-corporate OS such as linux? Or, EVEN WORSE, I had written and coded my own OS?
5. What if I choose to modify the OS not to include pre-installed programs? It will transform PC's into a modern cellphone---it will come with Twitter, Facebook, and crappy free angry birds games, and there will be nothing you can do about it.
6. Having your information on a cloud is not NEARLY as secure as a physical hard-drive. Lets say I open a post from ATS containing secret government files, and decide to hide my trace. How would I do such a thing? It would become impossible.
6. So many parts of the internet most of you are not aware of would become inaccessible due to their illegality. In fact, websites like this could very well be taken down.
7. Any ability of a programmer to fight future technological wrongs is rendered impossible. Hiding your IP address, setting up a proxy, forwarding your ports...not with cloud.

That's about all I have to say on the matter.
Good day and good luck, but if you only take one thing out of my entire post, take this:
Technology like this ruins innovation, discovery, and design. It makes it impossible to break the rules---for better, or for worse.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

awesome idea if you love the fact that in reality you own nothing on a cloud computer. Expect processing charges lol, program monthly rates, Think cable tv with a host of program options that is cloud computing in a nutshell on top of paying your dsl,cable,what ever type of internet provider your using. O yes they make it sound really cheap and it will be until they establish a solid foundation then they will jack up the prices. Funny side note most OS now can actually fit on a thumb drive so its not so amazing.
edit on 17-1-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Personally, the only problem I have with this is storage of information.
I do not like the idea of my info being stored in the "Cloud".

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Am I the only one thinking that the more technology I adapt to and get to rely on, the more traumatic the change is going to be when the EMP or CME hits and it all goes blooey?

At least I still remember not having a teevee as a kid (and now, come to think of it...).

But you whippersnappers are going to be electronically deprived zombies!

(Never fear, I'll be willing to loan you my antiquated books when the boredom becomes unbearable; only $1000 an hour...) Extra for the Firefox homesteading manuals and the Last Whole Earth Catalog, signed edition.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

My mother offered me the foxfire books once, I kindly declined.
If an EMP hits and the world is thrown into enough chaos to need them, I would prefer to die softly than to struggle for thirty years and then die.
But thats against human nature and quite off topic.

Most all military grade hardware is EMP proofed, and it's not so hard to do it to your personal computer.
So thats really not a problem.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Schnib because: ATS ate my post

edit on 17-1-2013 by Schnib because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Schnib

We need millions of more people who are as awake as you. I see nothing but pure, modern corporate evil in the architecture of the cloud.

edit on 17-1-2013 by dainoyfb because: I added last sentence.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thank you for the compliment.
And what isn't an evil corporate agenda nowadays? I don't understand why everyone is so surprised when I suggest it's all just to make money.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I can see plugging in a small key board , monitor. and a web cam.

Then program it to record from the web cam to the cloud and remove the key board and monitor leaving the mini computer and camera hidden to record motion to the cloud.storage.

You then could use your home computer or a wifi equipped laptop to access the cloud storage and watch what the camera was seeing from miles or states away.

It could be a very good security device or a fun unit for a voyeur to catch some great videos.

Wire one up in your kids car and find out what they are doing. Like getting a little from his girl/boy friend

Put one in you car and watch the thief after he steals the car.
:
edit on 18-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I'd prefer my PCs but this wouldn't be bad to use with hulu/netflix/amazon video streaming. Gaming on it or browsing ATS seems dumb =p

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by randomname
cloud based computers can literally give access to top of the line supercomputers.

all you need is an internet connection a monitor and the keyboard, it'll then be linked to the computer than can be in any location.

it's the equivalent of having your monitor and keyboard in front of you and your computer tower hundreds of miles away and connecting them with a very long cable.

but instead of a cable, you use the internet infrastructure to connect to it.

the best thing is, depending on the service provider, the computer you connect to can always be top of the line because they can always upgrade its capabilities as they become available.

what information would you be comfortable sharing with anyone in the world?.. gaming?...recipes?...news articles?...jokes?....cat video clips?....nothing politcal, personal, vulgar, liable, financial, religous, work related, to name a few...good luck with that

Maybe your finances, your family goals, private information, your list of associates and friends, your projects and creations All online and soon owned by someone else.

I'll pass. PERIOD. The super computer I want is one in my own home and ample storage.
edit on 18-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
It's going to be a long time before that things going to allow me to play call of duty

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Right on.

Oh and an encrypted cloud service is available.

Also, the controlled active timer is a good way to keep it concealed, and only available to those who know when it is switching from passive to active state. In addition 123A lithium batteries, like a surefire uses, would be ideal then.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Never...
until they can fit a gaming spec computer into one of these I am afraid its big and clunky desktops for me.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
i want one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join