It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about The Truth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The truth about the truth...

Conspiracy, or just plain human condition?

In today's rapidly expanding, technologically advancing, information in a flash society an ever increasing number of individuals have popped up claiming to know the truth.

The truth about how we should figure our finances. We are told when we should invest and when not to. We are told what foods we should be eating and what medicines we need to take due to the foods we've been eating.

People all over claim to know when it is the right time to buy a house, or what cars are the safest to be driving. Television commercials telling us what products we must buy now or forever be lost in the times.

On the political end we hear what countries we should trust, what businesses are "too big to fail", and constant argument on what political party is best suited to direct our country towards success.

All day, every day we are exposed to multitudes of filters all of this information is constantly passing through. Be it television, radio, news papers, magazines, advertisements, and political talking heads. The internet brings in even more unfiltered information that we must then sort through on top of it all.

Word of mouth adds a whole new level to this perspective.

A close friend telling you they heard something, or you must try this product holds way more weight than all the previously listed outlets combined.

We absorb massive amounts of constant information streams and before we know it, we spout off what we heard without even thinking twice and many times with no prior knowledge to the validity of the information we are presenting.

As you all probably know by now, it's something like 97.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot. There is probably an additional 86.7% of individuals that repeat everything they hear like parrots. That would make something like a grand total of 183.9% of us that have no real clue what any of us are actually talking about right now.

Here's the point:

We have all these outlets of information. Every one of them swearing they have all the answers, and know more than the next guy. Throw in the multitudes of commentary we see on every major news network. Commentary that, by the way, is almost always taken and regurgitated as fact by their viewer base. It's no wonder no one really has any clue who or what to believe anymore.

In fact, the only thing we can say we know with out a doubt is absolutely truth anymore...

Is that we really have no clue what the truth really is.

Thanks for the time!
-m.m.-

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mutatismutandis

I totally agree with you. I'm happy to be a part of ATS so I atleast get a chance to hear "several different truths".

In the end though, I always go with my gut. I consider myself an intuitive person, and if something sounds completely logical in all ways but doesn't sit right with me, I choose to not believe it. It has never failed me so far, and I will never believe something just because there is "evidence" to back it up. This goes for conspiracies too.

Were in a time that science rules, but were also in a time of corruption. I guess we really haven't come that far because I keep finding myself taking a "leap of faith", so to speak.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The world has become one big marketplace. Bartering, haggling, wrangling, cajoling, tendering, auctioning, swindling, cheating, bullying, grandstanding 24/7. That's the New World Order for you. Enjoy it or weep.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Shema because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutatismutandis
The truth about the truth...

Conspiracy, or just plain human condition?

In today's rapidly expanding, technologically advancing, information in a flash society an ever increasing number of individuals have popped up claiming to know the truth.

The truth about how we should figure our finances. We are told when we should invest and when not to. We are told what foods we should be eating and what medicines we need to take due to the foods we've been eating.

People all over claim to know when it is the right time to buy a house, or what cars are the safest to be driving. Television commercials telling us what products we must buy now or forever be lost in the times.

On the political end we hear what countries we should trust, what businesses are "too big to fail", and constant argument on what political party is best suited to direct our country towards success.

All day, every day we are exposed to multitudes of filters all of this information is constantly passing through. Be it television, radio, news papers, magazines, advertisements, and political talking heads. The internet brings in even more unfiltered information that we must then sort through on top of it all.

Word of mouth adds a whole new level to this perspective.

A close friend telling you they heard something, or you must try this product holds way more weight than all the previously listed outlets combined.

We absorb massive amounts of constant information streams and before we know it, we spout off what we heard without even thinking twice and many times with no prior knowledge to the validity of the information we are presenting.

As you all probably know by now, it's something like 97.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot. There is probably an additional 86.7% of individuals that repeat everything they hear like parrots. That would make something like a grand total of 183.9% of us that have no real clue what any of us are actually talking about right now.

Here's the point:

We have all these outlets of information. Every one of them swearing they have all the answers, and know more than the next guy. Throw in the multitudes of commentary we see on every major news network. Commentary that, by the way, is almost always taken and regurgitated as fact by their viewer base. It's no wonder no one really has any clue who or what to believe anymore.

In fact, the only thing we can say we know with out a doubt is absolutely truth anymore...

Is that we really have no clue what the truth really is.

Thanks for the time!
-m.m.-

We know what the truth is not. It's not facts. You cannot define the truth because it is not something that is separate from anything that is real. If you point to the truth it's your finger that is the lie.

Truth is what is actual. And what is actual does not exist in any of the scenarios you describe above.

Most people believe the truth is something that is shared and known factually. I guess it's one use of the word but you demonstrate above the problem with using the word like that.. it's a misnomer in that context.

If you want the truth don't look for it in the manifested world of information and facts.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious

I keep finding myself taking a "leap of faith", so to speak.

Amen to that my friend!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Very "true"!

My hopes with this post was to demonstrate just that...

Just about everything we hold to be true in today's standards are really just the opinions we've adopted from another source. That's not to say everything we believe in is false, but it is impossible to make any determinations given the constant bombardment of information we now live in due to "modern society".

Thanks for the input!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Good written OP and the first one i have seen that describes how we are delivered information from numerous sources all purporting to be oracals/experts of the truth. Theres an old saying the "Blind leading the Blind". Have we become a society of blind mice.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Good written OP and the first one i have seen that describes how we are delivered information from numerous sources all purporting to be oracals/experts of the truth. Theres an old saying the "Blind leading the Blind". Have we become a society of blind mice.

I agree, but i dont think its an intentional blindness...more like being on sensory overload. A plant leans towards its closest light source. The way i see it is we have so many sources of input we no longer know which way to lean. Its a condition brought on by the environment we've allowed to be created in our world.

I think of it like walking the first time into the sun in a snow covered field. We may be blind momentarily, but not because we are unable to see...rather it is too much to see all at once.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There are very specific and very reliable "reality anchors" that exist, and if you're careful, disciplined, and okay with being proven wrong about everything you've accepted as true, then you can eventually determine a lot about what's true about reality and about your inimitable place within the whole of it. But you have to start simple and allow your thinking to focus on that which is extraordinarily primitive. This is the only way to ever keep from being hijacked by the fascinating theoretical constructs that so many human minds have manufactured throughout our history.

Your first steps must have no connection at all with the traditional wisdoms that have shortcut the search for truth for virtually everyone who's ever taken the time and effort to separate out the plausibles from the implausibles, and the possibles from the impossibles. Those axioms can't even be part of your thought process unless they can be quickly proven to "fit" within the kind of airtight structure of force, information and material matrices that clearly exists as the physical reality that we all share as corporeal entities that are self aware and aware - even to the small degree that we are - of each other as also existent and sentient.

This is insanely complex stuff that comes together to allow - hell, to allow me to even consider my own existence. And this is real existence. It's not just an imagined existence. It's true material and informational presence that is authentically sharable and capable of being dynamically effectable from instant to instant, with waves of real and immediate ramification that can literally upend the expectations and anticipations of every sentient being from one end of this planet to the other. This is what reality possesses - the capacity to inflict itself upon those in the pathway of its progressive consequence and causal ramification. And as a total blindside.

Philosophy isn't the way to determine reality. Philosophy can help you imagine plausibilities or possibilities, but it isn't related to what is actually true. Philosophy is about what should be, not about what is. Ideology and religion are even further removed from truth than philosophy, with dogma far behind them all, like a dog with worms dragging its *ss along the driveway asphalt in search of relief.

Truth isn't something you decide for yourself. What you decide for yourself is ideology. Truth is independent of your point of view, and no one at all has their own version of it. Truth is what it is, and any other definition is just evidence of how poorly devised the English language really is.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Actually what you are describing is the word FACT...not truth.

A FACT is a reality...a TRUTH is subjective.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
reply to post by rwfresh

Split Infinity

Perhaps what you mean is - A FACT is objective and immutable...a TRUTH can be relative to any number of existent and shifting inflicting aspects. Again, we have language issues.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

A person can find a truth or discover a truth or even believe in a truth.

A fact is a fact however and is concrete and specific. It cannot be subjective.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Want a very quick and simple resolution? Toss your television sets out immediately and don't buy another newspaper again.

I've been without TV/newspapers for several years now and I still stay fairly informed and appreciate music and nature ten-fold. Anything worth knowing is right here (and the Internet)

Originally posted by mutatismutandis
....... we really have no clue what the truth really is.

You're absolutely 100% correct because Truth Cannot Be Told...It Must Be Realized. For if you don't experience it, it's just hearsay.

S&F for a thought provoking thread

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

reply to post by NorEaster

A person can find a truth or discover a truth or even believe in a truth.

A fact is a fact however and is concrete and specific. It cannot be subjective.

Split Infinity

In think that this is pretty much what I stated. Reality is what is; the confluence of all that does, in fact, exist. Truth - relative truth, that is - is dependent on many mitigating factors. Yes, we seem to agree here.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   

In knowledge, man, not the baboon, is the measure of all things. Truth, therefore, is the measurement man makes, and not the measurement the baboon makes. What man interprets from these measurements and creates out of these interpretations are fabricated fictions derived from a false premise: the assumption that our measurements, and not that which we measured, is the truth.

Before Copernicus, people held that the earth was the center of the universe. Many have said that Copernicus' discovery proved how deceptive the senses can be. But this is ridiculous, because if we look into the sky, we see the universe exactly how the ancients saw it. The only thing that changed in reality was the measurements, the way we measured, and the assumptive axioms that had, until then, remained unchallenged.

2 +2 = 4 is true, some may say eternally true, but only because we've already outlined what truth is within mathematics. We've created the axioms, the symbols and the meaning behind them. In reality, 2 + 2 = 5 can be true if we were to switch the meaning behind the symbol '5' with the symbol '4.' We can do this because math itself is one of those initial fictions, created and used by man, held in esteem as a fundamental axiom and 'truth.' Math, of course, is an invention, not truth.

'Truth' itself is one of those initial errors, an assumption. It is the leap of faith involved in believing that there actually is a such thing as truth, and that somehow it is attainable. But all truth can ever be is metaphor, fiction and art. It doesn't exist until we create it.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Awesome thread!

Makes one wonder on what truths we all have moved forward on.

thx

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Truth is singular.
Truths are untruths.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

The way i see it. one person's truth could be another's lie, until they interact or their paths cross, there is no conclusive truth..
Poor humans exhausting that brain of ours whilst our heart forms cobwebs. When logic cannot aid you in finding the truth, trust your intuition.
That is my truth (:
peace

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

reply to post by rwfresh

Split Infinity

truth
/tro͞oTH/
Noun

The quality or state of being true: "the truth of her accusation".
That which is true or in accordance with fact or reality: "tell me the truth".

In the context we are talking about.. it wouldn't be "or reality"... just reality. And that's a fact. haha. Peace.
edit on 25-3-2013 by rwfresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Shema

The world has become one big marketplace. Bartering, haggling, wrangling, cajoling, tendering, auctioning, swindling, cheating, bullying, grandstanding 24/7. That's the New World Order for you. Enjoy it or weep.

I feel I need to post this again, it's a keeper. So powerfully...........true

top topics

join