Greatest transfer of wealth in history - cyber espionage

page: 1
3

log in

join

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Greatest transfer of wealth in history - cyber espionage


theriskyshift.com

This investigation is presented through five distinct areas of analysis: After a brief synopsis of the technological and communicative shifts which have fostered the growth of cyber-espionage, a review of the public, political, and scholarly discourses surrounding cyber-security shall be presented, in an effort to establish what we really mean when we talk of ‘cyber-espionage’.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   


Dubbed Operation Aurora, the 2010 exploitation of zero-day vulnerabilities in Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, employed crucial social engineering elements, compromising numerous U.S. corporations including Google, Yahoo, Symantec, Northrop Grumman, and Morgan Stanley[108]. Staff were sent messages supposedly from known colleagues which included bogus weblinks. Once clicked the malicious code launched, allowing hackers to piggyback from local machines into the entire network[109]. Whilst much of press coverage reported the infiltration of Chinese dissident gmail accounts, Dmitri Alperovitch of cyber investigation firm CrowdStrike, believes they accessed far more, claiming the Chinese are “hacking every company imaginable… stealing everything they need to capture business and market share”. The breach is widely considered a “watershed moment”, in so much as it demonstrated that private industry and commerce had become as important, if not more so, than military or government targets in global cyber-espionage efforts[110]. Today, the most besieged assets include; information and communications technologies,marine systems, aerospace/aeronautics, military, dual-use and clean technologies, advanced materials and manufacturing techniques, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and agricultural technologies[111].


Few people understand the true brilliance by which these maneuvers are taking place and how totally game-changing they really are.

Whenever people talk about how the "little man" has no chance to rise above "elite," I want to point out "upsets" such as this. All it takes is ingenuity and knowledge and you CAN change the world. Even in ways that nobody ever expected.... This "war" has now moved to state-sponsored (despite denials otherwise), but it did NOT start out there. It has become successful tactic because those in power realized two critical points:

1. This "weapon" can be used to effectively level the playing field against opponents who are stronger financially, economically, and militarily (is that a word? lol...).

2. Few are prepared or positioned to counter this type of assault. All too easily, masters can become slaves and slaves masters.

theriskyshift.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-1-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)
edit on 17-1-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy
 

An interesting article - as they say 'knowledge is power'



posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy
Few people understand the true brilliance by which these maneuvers are taking place and how totally game-changing they really are.

Whenever people talk about how the "little man" has no chance to rise above "elite," I want to point out "upsets" such as this. All it takes is ingenuity and knowledge and you CAN change the world. Even in ways that nobody ever expected.... This "war" has now moved to state-sponsored (despite denials otherwise), but it did NOT start out there. It has become successful tactic because those in power realized two critical points:

1. This "weapon" can be used to effectively level the playing field against opponents who are stronger financially, economically, and militarily (is that a word? lol...).

2. Few are prepared or positioned to counter this type of assault. All too easily, masters can become slaves and slaves masters.

theriskyshift.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-1-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)
edit on 17-1-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)


Thank you for posting.

I agree with your thoughts on the little man and the elite. Too often I encounter people who feel helpless about their situation but don't are too timid to take the first steps in getting where they want to be. I understand if one has family and wants to provide security for them however as they say nothing risked nothing gained.

A friend of mine from a few years back always loved to point this out;


The top is prone to becoming victims of their own success.



posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A few interesting Wikipedia article relating to China's espionage tactics over the last few years.
Chinese Spies
GhostNet

I know we (America) do our own spying, as do many other countries. It's funny that every major nation seems to know they are doing it, but no one's doing anything to stop it.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Did the hackers leak any of the information they came by? By reading that it could shatter alot of industry haha



posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparta
Did the hackers leak any of the information they came by? By reading that it could shatter alot of industry haha


No...because "leaking sensitive information" wasn't their agenda. They are hacking this information to better their own position in the market:


The first warning that hackers had penetrated the American oil company came soon after the initial breach, in the summer of 2009. The computer help desk received complaints from employees who were locked out of their accounts or whose computers had already been logged onto.

Then the complaints abruptly ceased: The digital spies had obtained an administrator password and were intercepting help-desk tickets, unlocking accounts, and notifying users that their problems had been fixed. With that access, the hackers copied thousands of confidential emails—including those of top executives—and transmitted them to China in massive files late at night, after the oil company's employees had left for the day.

By the time the FBI informed the company of suspicious network traffic in the summer of 2010, Chinese firms had outbid the oil company on several high-stakes acquisitions by just a few thousand dollars. But it could have been far worse: For months, malware that allowed the hackers to take over terminals had been burrowing deeper into the company's systems and had wormed its way into computers that controlled oil-drilling and pipeline operations.


Digital Spies - The rise of cyber espionage

ETA - don't miss the implications that the FBI had to inform the oil company of "suspicious network traffic."

edit on 17-1-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy
 


I am curious to see how this develops in China.. They are having massive internal issues right now, with protests striking parts of the Western country.

The new Chinese leadership has pushed away from total control to a more measured observe and act setup. It is only a matter of time before the people in china, who have been trained to hack into foreign systems, uses that same information to break the locks on cencership in China.

Just recently the Central News has gone so far as to criticise some of the government actions against journalists. Me thinks China is trying to figure out how to be a more open society without givein up control.

Personally speaking I dont think the current Chinese government is going to last much longer.



posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIAGypsy

By the time the FBI informed the company of suspicious network traffic in the summer of 2010, Chinese firms had outbid the oil company on several high-stakes acquisitions by just a few thousand dollars. But it could have been far worse: For months, malware that allowed the hackers to take over terminals had been burrowing deeper into the company's systems and had wormed its way into computers that controlled oil-drilling and pipeline operations.


ETA - don't miss the implications that the FBI had to inform the oil company of "suspicious network traffic."

I've watched this go down from another angle... Morons thinking - "hey - we're in the good ole U S of A..."...but, partnering with Chinese businesses (for capital)...then, within a couple of years - the "good ole boys" are out in the street, and the Chinese are running/owning the goods.
They (the US good ole boys) still think they're in the Wild Wild West...and they know how to pull a six-shooter real fast... But they're being gunned-down by those willing to operate a little dirtier than they have.





new topics
top topics
 
3

log in

join