It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have You Ever Heard of the Popadom Effect?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
If you have never heard of it, I will educate you here today about the Poppadom Effect. This phenomenon is blighting Curry Houses up and down our nation today. The Poppodom Effect seems especially prevailant after you have had a few too many jars as well, so don't say I didn't warn you.

Right lets cut to the chase, what is the Poppodom Effect? Well the Poppodom Effect is what happens when you walk into your favourite curry house and you sit down and are presented with a menu. I normally know what I want before I go in there but for the sake of cerimony I spend a few minutes browsing the menu before I order my customary Chicken Tikka Vindaloo, Garlic Naan and a Tandori Chicken starter. So here comes your waiter, he brings you Menu, he brings you drink..... then boom out of nowhere he asks, would you like poppodoms sir?

Damn I am sitting here thinking to myself, I wish you never asked that question. What is going through my head now is that I know I want the variety of a starter and I always struggle to eat my curry and naan and I certainly shouldn't be jeaprodising this by going all out on Poppadoms before my meal starts. But then my thoughts do a 180, I start to think, what am I going to do in the lead time to my starter, which could be up to 10 minutes, I'll be damned if I am making small talk with the wife, anything but small talk with the wife I think. So the waiter seems to have done his job, he has backed me into a corner he knew I couldn't get out of, I reluctantly say yes please, 1 each sir.

The trouble is and in fairness it is done with the bestest of intentions, the chirpy old waiter brings you out 2 each. I was thinking when I ordered the one that it would be taking up valuable curry space in my tummy but now 2... and lest not forget the range of chutneys that come with it to pile on top of my glorified crisp. We got Lime Pickle, Mango Chutney, Onion Chutney, Mint Yogurt and not forgetting the firery Chillie Chuntney. So here we go, I got a rumbling tummy and ten minutes to burn before the starter arrives, I just lose all self control. I gorge the stuff down, trying various combinations of chutneys and then bam mafter it is too late my tummy gives out its first warning sign... it is saying to me Michael I am starting to get a little full now, then it hits me... I have been done by the Poppodom Effect yet again.

My starter does eventually come, but my tummy not so rumbely now and I enjoy it very much still. But then comes the killer, my Vindaloo and Garlic naan and the brick wall slaps me right in the face. This should be the pinnacle of my meal yet I am struggling to get more than a few mouths full in my now buldging tummy. Then much to my own disappointment, I give in... half a naan and 3/4 of my curry left.

Damn you Poppodom Effect, you got me again.

This folks is a classical explaination of the Poppodom Effect, make sure you spread the word to help reduce the number of future innocent individuals from being taken hold by the Poppodom Effect.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think maybe you need a lesson in delayed gratification
which I admit is tough to exercise in a curry cuisine restaurant. I don't get it though--poppadoms are small and light like crackers. I don't see how you can get filled up on 2 of them with a few spoonfuls of chutneys and sauces.

My Indian restaurants don't even ask--the prelude to each meal is a plate with a few poppadom crisps and a few sauces.

I have never experienced the poppadom effect. Personally, I suffer from the faux-Italian-bistro-that-stuffs-you-silly-with-all-kinds-of-bread-and-salad-and-minestrone-before-you-even-get-your-veal-piccata syndrome
edit on 17-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

It must depend on your local friendly curry houses operations. The poppodoms in my local select are huge, about the same size as an average dinner plate.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

That was so funny!!! Will share this for sure.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Ahh okay that makes a little more sense in the grand scheme of poppadom trickery. The ones I'm accustomed to are pretty small; maybe the size of a tea saucer.

Next time try chicken makhani and chana masala--that's about as good as it gets. Alu gobi is another favorite of mine (cauliflower.)

Beware the gulab jamuns and their deliciousness

edit on 17-1-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Perhaps the 9 pints of lager before the curry probably are the main killer
but perhaps what you should do is order a prawn phaal and ask them to boost it up and then spend the next week with an arse like a blood orange
i've seen it done but its a scary thing as i tried just a drop once and it took a pint of milk just to extinguish that

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoulSearching8

That was so funny!!! Will share this for sure.

Oh its no laughing matter, once you hit that brick wall and you still have all that delicious curry in front of you, it is enough to send a man to tears at the table. I came close once, when the waiter asked if I was ok, I pretended that I rubbed Chille in my eyes and that it was watering from that. Little did he know I was actually mourning my lost curry and naan.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Oh god now I really really want some beer and a curry.

The poppodoms are the best bit of the whole Indian meal to me. If they would let me get away with just ordering 5 poppodoms and a bath full of lime pickle and mango chutney I would
edit on 17/1/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I've already had a curry and his thread is making me want another. Popadommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Ok so I have only had Indian food from a friend and I don't know if it is good or not based on this. I do love Mutta puffs(?) egg puffs mmmm

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That sounds like a episode of man verses food.......man verses food. Man verses food. Im just a hungry dude

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Btw indian food is my favourite food. I could eat it morning noon and night. And i love your choice of chicken tikka vindaloo

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Thats what we want. Something to warm us up on a cold winters night

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I have been known to eat it morning noon and night, but nothing beats a proper curry house as you just cannot make that chicken and naan the same without a real tandoor.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I know where your coming from micheal. I once had a sit down indian at dinner, Then again at teatime. Then another one around 11pm on an all day drinking session many years ago. Just cant beat itAnyone for a curry?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Indian is my fave too. I don't like spicy food (mild for me), and a vegan (most vegans will say Indian food is the best - they, of course, know how to make it), and popadom - the finest! Star and flag just for the title, and for all the rest! (I have married brown rice by the way, it's a vegan thing but I may be the first)
edit on 18-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join