It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US has more guns than any Country in the World - We are going to be safe when?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensible1
If guns make us safe, the US should be the safest place in the entire world, as we hae more guns AND more guns per capita than any place on Earth. So Why are we the most dangerous place of all industrialized nations? Why is crime with guns growing as gun ownership grows? You see the simple math here. I haven't given ANY opinions. Just facts. But like Mitt said, "Our campaign isnt going to be dictated to by fact-checkers.." The more guns we own in this country, the more death with them is elevated. There is NO disputing that. Countries with less guns have many many fewer gun deaths and gun crimes. Is a school filled with Guns the definition of freedom? Are we free if everyone in the US has a gun at their hip? Is that true freedom? This "Mad Max" vision of the US is not Freedom at all. (That last part was my opinion) Why do you deny these truths?
edit on 17-1-2013 by sensible1 because: (no reason given)

The places in the US that have concentrated law abiding citizen gun ownership ARE the safest places. It is the places that try to eliminate guns that are the most dangerous....

Jaden

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
im sorry but anyone who thinks we need to ban guns or "assault weapons" is a complete moron. or just unaware of the way things really work. there are lists of illegal drugs and hundreds of thousands of Americans do drugs everyday. did you know MEXICO has very very strict gun laws. a marine brought an antique shotgun and got 60 days in prison. BUT, the freakin cartels run mexico. everyone has an ILLEGAL machine gun. just because its illegal doesnt mean people wont have guns. actually all that means is that the good law abiding citizens wont have guns and all of the CRIMINALS will. so please explain to me how taking away our guns, the good guys' guns, will make us safer from the bad guys who all get there guns illegally from the black market. No real ganster has a legal registered firearm. they are ALL illegal.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Amen. We are the most violent society in the Wester World BECAUSE of the gun idiocy and the people too immature to use them.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FeatherofMaat

There are other places to live where a tough young thug can beat you to death or knife you because your too old to fight back . One size does not fit all .
Before gunpowder killings was just as common and committed by the same thugs . Bows and arrows , swords, clubs, knives ,rocks,spears, fist and of course the sling that David slew Goliath with . These are all the assault weapons of the day . Then there is the weapons of mass destruction of that time called poison .
There is no way you can get away from all danger .

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21
Oh give me a break with this anti-2nd propaganda. The US isn't even on the top 10 list of countries with violent crime. Mexico, however, is one of the bloodiest places to live in today and its because the citizens have been disarmed, giving complete control over to the corrupt and the cartels.

Long Live the 2nd Amendment !

The USA is safe from government tyranny. Thank you Thomas Jefferson.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by blupblup
We need more guns to stop all the needless shootings!!! We need more burgers to stop the obesity problem!!!
edit on 17/1/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

Another comment that makes no sense at all.

Not really.... it makes perfect sense and it's the logic used by Gun Morons.

Every time there is a tragedy, gun sales rocket... what does that say? It says that people think the more guns that they have and ergo, everyone else has, the safer they are.

The equivalent would be eating burgers (and more food) to stop getting fat.

Just the kind of logic Gun Lovin' Americans espouse.
edit on 17/1/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

And rightly so, which shows people aren't as dumb as you wish they were.

And seriously, the burger analogy? Are you pleased with that one? I wouldn't be if I were you, it shows a a basic failure to grasp simple concepts and a lack of logic one would expect from children. I'm trying hard not to call you a fool for even posting such trash, and sounding rather pleased with yourself for doing so.

We are assuming in your example that one desires to combat obesity, therefore lose weight or at the very least not add any. Eating foods with no nutritional value and a high content of fat, hamburgers, will increase your overall fat index. That is proven fact. You may lose weight anyway, if other factors are involved, but taken in isolation, there is no sense in eating hamburgers to reduce your fat index. In every case, you will get an increase in fat index. In other words, you will automatically obtain the opposite effect.

With regards to guns, we are assuming that one desires to protect himself when faced with crime. For your analogy to be correct, and you do use the word 'equivalent' although it is quite clear you have no idea what the term means, you would need a negative issue producing an opposite effect each time a gun is used to prevent crime. Each and every time.

I will not even bother with statistics because you would have to be a real idiot, and I mean completely deluded to try and argue that point of view.

Resisting a crime with a gun, which happens up to 2,000,000 times a year, generally discourages criminals and only a small percentage of these incidents result in death or injury, often to the criminal.

Why? It's difficult to believe you can miss this, but because, as hard as it may be to believe, criminals generally don't want to get shot...therefore they desist, and seek more suitable targets. Unarmed ones.

Does any of that sound condescending? Good, it was meant to be.

The hamburger analogy, ladies and gentlemen, is the kind of arguments you may expect from gun control proponents. A complete lack of logic, based upon which they have the gall to suggest you are stupid.

Those who use their brains, when confronted by evidence of inexplicable violence, realize how vulnerable they and their families are becoming and take appropriate action by arming themselves. They understand that gun control will not affect criminals, and they know that the best way to stop an individual bent on evil who owns a gun, is to own a gun.

If this desire for a level playing field makes us morons, I guess not many of us have any problem with the term.

edit on 19-1-2013 by D377MC because: spelling, syntax

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It doesn't matter whether there are 1 million or 500 million guns in America. What matters are the intents and purpose of those who press the trigger.

Explaining to supposed adults that a metal object is not evil in itself, and does not create insecurity sure is becoming quite tiresome....

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

That is absolutely false. The Country with the highest death by gun per square mile is Great britain. USA isnt even in the top 10 list.

Usa isnt that dangerous. Usa is a large large country,and per square mile,its not as dangerous as everyone thinks. The one of the safest countries in the world is said to be Norway, but did you know that they got more crime per square mile than Usa has.Its a fact.

When it comes to owning guns,its a logical issue. The criminals will get a gun no matter what,if you want it or not. If the public doesnt have a gun to protect itself its a totally open ballgame. The criminals have nothing to stand between them and their goal. If you plan to rob a house,and the owner has a gun himself, what happens then? Well you might actually change your mind,cause your goal wont be fulfilled if you are dead would it.

Another scenario. You are out on town,and you want to start a fight with someone. Would you really start that fight if you know that that person might actually wear a gun for protection. The answer is NO.

Case closed.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Guns make for a polite society. Argument over!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'll put down my guns after everyone else does. Where do you start? How about the government puts theirs down first. Government has been the largest murderer on Earth in the last century, mostly using guns. Or are you all trying to say government is now innocuous and poses no threat to the people of the world?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

your post from page one shows that you are confused.....
pencils don't cause misspelling.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by StalkerSolent

Like to post a source to outline your information? I did, shouldn't be to hard for you to show me the gross difference in other western nation crime, do tell. Also I'm talking HOMICIDE.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

Like to post a source to outline your information? I did, shouldn't be to hard for you to show me the gross difference in other western nation crime, do tell. Also I'm talking HOMICIDE.

I'd recommend this paper (I believe it's been on ATS before.) Basically what the paper outlines is that there is really no corroboration between banning guns and violent crime reductions. The authors argue that crime is not dependent on weapons, but on socioeconomic factors (or something of that nature.) As far as comparing the US to other developing nations, see page 652, where the authors point out that many developed European nations still maintain high rates of gun ownership and have lower rates of crime than many of their neighbors. It's not an exact 1:1 comparison, obviously (for instance Russia has a higher gun ownership and murder rate than Hungary, but Germany has a higher gun ownership rate and lower murder rate than Luxembourg.)
edit on 20-1-2013 by StalkerSolent because: Because "not at all" doesn't make sense where I put it...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

After reviewing that paper America still has a higher homicide rate from guns.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

After reviewing that paper America still has a higher homicide rate from guns.

But not a higher homicide rate from people, which is what matters.
And just to be clear, our rate of murders committed with firearms per capita is lower than a few other nations. Linky

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Wouldn't it be nice to live before guns were invented . You would never have to worry about someone killing you or your family .NOT! People have been hacking people to death or bludgeoning or what ever . Aids kills along with other STDs . Should we outlaw sex also?

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter

Wouldn't it be nice to live before guns were invented . You would never have to worry about someone killing you or your family .NOT! People have been hacking people to death or bludgeoning or what ever . Aids kills along with other STDs . Should we outlaw sex also?

Bingo!
Humans are never going to be safe. The real question is whether or not we will be free, virtuous, and responsible.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
HIgh capacity high powered guns are a threat to the UN/ NWO take over of America .Since population reduction is at the top of their agenda they could care less about an individuals safety .They will use any instance to get their fingers into our country and Obama and the rest of them are helping to wrest our country from the Constitution and Bill of Rights .Our country is being sold off literally street by street , bridge by bridge , job by job. Now they want our guns so they can finish the job!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join