It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgeons Allegedly Left 16 Medical Items In Body Of German Cancer Patient

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Here you have this guy that goes in for just a simple prostate procedure and ends up with more than what he bargained for. I'm just curious how the doctors missed placing a surgical mask in the patient's body? Did they think he was garbage bin or something? You have to read to believe it. And for all that agony, the hospital agreed to pay him $660 for all his troubles. Are you kidding me?
Talk about the nerve of the hospital. That doesn't even cover the cost of the paint job on my car.... I think this family should be suing for more than $127,000. Their letting that hospital off easy.

The Huffington Post | By Dominique Mosbergen Posted: 01/16/2013 7:37 pm EST

www.huffingtonpost.com...

When surgeons operated on Schroeder again, they were stunned to find 16 pieces of medical equipment in the man's body. This included "a needle, a six-inch roll of bandage, a six-inch long compress, several swabs and a fragment of surgical mask," writes the Daily Mail.

According to medical rights activist and family lawyer Annette Corinth, who is representing Schroeder's family, the hospital first offered Schroeder about $660. The facility claims that the instruments may have found their way into Schroeder's body "post-operation," according to German publication Osnabrücker Zeitung. The family is reportedly seeking about $127,000 in damages.

Hope I did that right.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well, not surprising as it's common.

My mom's friend had a sponge inside her and got really sick from it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Here you have this guy that goes in for just a simple prostate procedure and ends up with more than what he bargained for. I'm just curious how the doctors missed placing a surgical mask in the patient's body? Did they think he was garbage bin or something? You have to read to believe it. And for all that agony, the hospital agreed to pay him $660 for all his troubles. Are you kidding me?
Talk about the nerve of the hospital. That doesn't even cover the cost of the paint job on my car.... I think this family should be suing for more than $127,000. Their letting that hospital off easy.

The Huffington Post | By Dominique Mosbergen Posted: 01/16/2013 7:37 pm EST

www.huffingtonpost.com...

When surgeons operated on Schroeder again, they were stunned to find 16 pieces of medical equipment in the man's body. This included "a needle, a six-inch roll of bandage, a six-inch long compress, several swabs and a fragment of surgical mask," writes the Daily Mail.

According to medical rights activist and family lawyer Annette Corinth, who is representing Schroeder's family, the hospital first offered Schroeder about $660. The facility claims that the instruments may have found their way into Schroeder's body "post-operation," according to German publication Osnabrücker Zeitung. The family is reportedly seeking about $127,000 in damages.

Hope I did that right.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

I thought all medical equipment before and after an operation was supposed to be checked before and after?
Saying that, my wife was in for an operation years ago and when she was in recovery she started shaking uncontrollably and was rushed back into theatre .
She was ok after that and only years later did we find they had left a swab inside her on the first operation and too late to do something about it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

At least they got something for their money.
I suppose the hospital is now going to add some new charges for the material on their bill to the insurance.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Sorry to hear to that about wife. You can't sue them or anything. Have you checked your state's Statue of Limitations? Hope she's okay now.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

The facility claims that the instruments may have found their way into Schroeder's body "post-operation,"

Yeah, they must of snuck into his body while none of the doctors were watching.. Someone needs there marching orders. Either someone wasn't following procedures or someone doesn't give a toss about the health of their patients.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

They should be checking. The 11 times I've been in the OR for procedures this year, I always listen to everything going on before I go under anesthesia. They have to do a "Time out" conversation for the record where they say my name, my condition, the procedure being done, side of the body, and then the doctors must each say it all in turn as well. And everything is always in such perfect order and calm, and they should (I say should, because I'm not conscious of course) do an inventory when they're finished each time. So this boggles my mind. It's not even just one item.. but 16!?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The article had me at surgical mask. Aren't these doctors suppose to keep them on at all times until surgery is over? And placed in a bin outside the surgical room? So, how is it a surgical mask ends up in this guys system? Yeah 16 items is totally mind boggling. It's like they used him a waste basket or something. Now I'm afraid of surgery.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Sorry to hear to that about wife. You can't sue them or anything. Have you checked your state's Statue of Limitations? Hope she's okay now.

We don't have that here in the UK but my wife's mother was in hospital years ago and,even though we didn't think,she would last out the year due to her bad health, was killed by an incompetent nurse.
She was supposed to put a feeding tube into her stomach but instead put it into her lungs!
She was dribbling at the mouth and couldn't move and we arrived to witness her dying like this. She was suffering from at first what we were told was cancer and after radiotherapy it burnt her larynx and she could hardly talk then they found it was misdiagnosed!
Then they discovered it as something to do with her bone marrow plus other things and as she was in her late 60s and couldnt hold much down in the way of food, she had to go into hospital for further tests.
The doctors and nurses stuck together but our lawyer got to the bottom of it and sued the hospital and her Dad won his case against them .
My wife is fine now but just shows what can happen. Thanks for asking.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Sorry for your loss.

Glad your wife is doing better.

join