It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow, someone has the guts to say it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Found this in the heap of gun news the internet is dumping on me. I made a similar argument in the past but it seems nobody can really argue against it. I mean they can argue against it but not in a coherent manner, just yelling "RACIST" at something that you do not like does not make it any less correct.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
Ann Coulter made a jawdropping claim about gun crime and minorities on Monday's "Hannity."

The conservative commentator said that she just got back from England, and addressed comparisons of the country's low rate of gun crime relative to the United States. Her remarks start at the 3:40 mark in the clip above.

"If you compare white populations, we have the same murder rate as Belgium," Coulter said. "So perhaps it's not a gun problem, it is a demographic problem, which liberals are the ones pushing, pushing, pushing."

She continued sarcastically, "Let's get more Colin Fergusons and whoever the guy was who shot up Fort Hood. Why are they coming in to begin with?"

Ferguson, who immigrated to the States from Jamaica, and Nidal Malik Hasan, an American and army major serving as a psychiatrist at Fort Hood, killed multiple people in mass shootings.

Coulter added that banning gun magazines would not stop public shootings, claiming that Ferguson had time to reload his gun. He had actually used two fifteen-round magazines during the shooting, and was pinned down and stopped when he was reloading his third magazine.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Those who make the argument that people feel the need to own guns to protect themselves from other races are labelled as ignorant or racist. But around the world one of the greatest factors in violence is ethnic tensions. Do you think that ethnic tensions never happen in America liberals?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
While it may be true that minorities are involved in more cases of gun violence, it's still a very small percentage of total minorities. It's almost like saying, 100% of people who commit gun crimes possess a firearm, but theres still 99% of people possessing a firearm who dont commit crimes.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by iSHRED
While it may be true that minorities are involved in more cases of gun violence, it's still a very small percentage of total minorities.

Look up the prison population by race, that is all im going to say about that one.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Society is slowly unraveling before our eyes. Taking guns away or severely limiting access to guns is like putting a band-aid on a severed leg. Why are people going nuts and losing it? Maybe it's because the american dream is nothing more than a thing of the past. You can't just go to college and get a good job anymore. You can't start a small business and compete in a global market place. People are realizing this and getting pissed off.

What would cause someone to shoot up a movie theater? What would cause someone to shoot up a school? It's not because they can it's because in their world they are backed into a corner and lash out.

Take the guns, take the magazines, take the knives. It will not stop the fabric of society from eroding from the inside out.

It's unfortunate these things happen but they have happened in the past and will happen in the future.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
Society is slowly unraveling before our eyes. Taking guns away or severely limiting access to guns is like putting a band-aid on a severed leg. Why are people going nuts and losing it? Maybe it's because the american dream is nothing more than a thing of the past. You can't just go to college and get a good job anymore. You can't start a small business and compete in a global market place. People are realizing this and getting pissed off.

What would cause someone to shoot up a movie theater? What would cause someone to shoot up a school? It's not because they can it's because in their world they are backed into a corner and lash out.

Take the guns, take the magazines, take the knives. It will not stop the fabric of society from eroding from the inside out.

It's unfortunate these things happen but they have happened in the past and will happen in the future.

Hey, we are having a conversation here about things mentioned in the OP. If you just want to put your generic gun control reply there are 10000000s of threads to do that on.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

You said it was minorities, has nothing to do with what race or color you are.

Thats my point.
edit on 16-1-2013 by litterbaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

While it may be true that minorities are involved in more cases of gun violence, it's still a very small percentage of total minorities.

Look up the prison population by race, that is all im going to say about that one.

That is such a retarded statement....
That's about as "right" as everyone's religion being the one and only "right" one.

I've personally known plenty of both black and white people. And I am not going to beat around the bush here, I grew up dirt poor in a very bad neighborhood. I didn't exactly hang with the "right crowds." I have known white people to "get away" with more stuff than black people and I have known white people to spend less time in jail for the exact same "drug" possession crime as some of my black friends. I don't really know many mexicans so I'm not going to pretend to know how it is with them. But I know for a fact that there IS racism in our "court of law." Hell, just recently my brother ( he's white) got out of a "drug" charge, while a black friend sits in jail still for the same "drug" and he had less of the stuff on him and absolutely no other charges ever while my brother has some previous charges for the same "drug" and violence in the past.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by iSHRED

I don't see what is complex in minorities seeking a power equalizer in the form of guns. Guns (and every other weapon provide power, that same power is what is talked about in the 2nd Amendment the capacity for face the power of the state by armed force.

The state tends to call upon himself the power of the use of force, any other actor's use shall be criminal even by other states, this is why there are arms races and constant competition.

The idea of eroding (or skewing) the power of weapons to the state (over the civilians) is what matters, it not even about guns but the capacity to resist state oppression, in this the feeders and loaders, rate of fire are indeed important.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
In order to realistically & coherently discuss a subject such as this, one is by definition required to be 'Politically Incorrect'. Hence it is not possible to have this discussion in an intellegent meaningful manner rendering the possibility of any rational solution void. Very sad state of affairs.

IMO

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth

That is such a retarded statement....
That's about is "right" as everyone's religion being the one and only "right" one.

Wow that came out of left field. You are taking what I sadi and making something else out of it. I said what I said, there is no reason to be dragging in "that is like..." Its not like anything I said what I said.
And its not like saying that at all. I just said look it up, I never said anything was better than anything else.

Like I said in the OP, no real argument.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

You're right and little else needs said...

When left to their own devices, the criminal element self-segregates and as the L.A. Municipal jail found out the brutally hard way, they'll self segregate very violently if need be.

It's nothing one sees widely outside the criminal element, IMO. However, there isn't much arguing whats plain as day to see in the correctional system for the largest example imaginable of the population most likely to be out shooting each other.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Ok here's some stats on the demographics.

According to CDC stats from 2007

Unadjusted homicide rates were highest among blacks (23.1 deaths per 100,000), followed by AI/ANs (7.8) and Hispanics (7.6), then whites (2.7) and A/PIs (2.4)

U.S Population:

White or European American: 72.4 %

Black or African American: 12.6 %

Homcide Trends in U.S

Homicide Type by Race, 1980-2008

Gun Homicide:

White: 41.2%
Black: 56.9%
Other: 1.7%

The numbers may have changed in the past few years some. However relative to 2008, African Americans committed 57 percent of the gun homicides, despite only making up 13 percent of the population.

In the last decade (since 2000) the homicide rate declined to levels last seen in the mid-1960s.

Also: most murders are intraracial

86% of white victims were killed by whites
94% of black victims were killed by blacks

So the majority of gun violence is black people killing black people.

edit on 17-1-2013 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Ann Coulter is a racist pig, a complete waste of time and oxygen, and little more than an uncoothe talking head who gets paid to piss people off and say things that would have had her tarred and feathered a hundred years ago. I absolutely can't stand her, Rush Limbaugh, or any of the other countless minions of talking heads who are little more than professional propagandists. Goebbels didn't have much on these turds at all, and modern Americans are watching 9 billion hours a week of that crap and we're surprised to find we're marginalized and radical?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
reply to post by Superhans

wow, you are truly ignorant....oh and a racist fear monger....
edit on 17-1-2013 by wrdwzrd because: (no reason given)

Oh that is typical... I AM the racist because whites and all the other races do not kill other people equally, yeah buddy I will take the blame for that if it makes you feel better.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Ann Coulter is a racist pig, a complete waste of time and oxygen, and little more than an uncoothe talking head who gets paid to piss people off and say things that would have had her tarred and feathered a hundred years ago. I absolutely can't stand her, Rush Limbaugh, or any of the other countless minions of talking heads who are little more than professional propagandists. Goebbels didn't have much on these turds at all, and modern Americans are watching 9 billion hours a week of that crap and we're surprised to find we're marginalized and radical?

That is really funny, you should read the OP again and then read your post. Then you can laugh with me at you

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Found this in the heap of gun news the internet is dumping on me. I made a similar argument in the past but it seems nobody can really argue against it. I mean they can argue against it but not in a coherent manner, just yelling "RACIST" at something that you do not like does not make it any less correct.

Whether your assertion that non-whites commit gun crimes because they're non-white is correct or not, it is in fact racist, and there's no two ways about it.

It is my opinion that the argument shared by the OP and Anne Coulter is fallacious. The stresses that cause these incidences are primarily socioeconomic. That more ethnic minorities populate the lower classes (and prisons) says more about the endemic bigotry and nepotism that permeate our "egalitarian" society than the disposition of those minority groups.
Coherent enough for you?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I am going to play the "education card" here. In America, at least the one I live in, the "majority" of "crimes" are committed by uneducated individuals, be they white, black, or other. Just go to any low income neighborhood and compare it to an "average middle class" neighborhood. Which one most often has the higher crime rate? Well unless you happen to be living under a rock or just plain blinded by stupidity, you're gonna say the low income neighborhood because that's the very well known and obvious answer. Well educated black people do not commit crimes very often, certainly no more than well educated white people, so any racists claims instantly lose any imagined credibility. However, poorly educated people, both black and white seem to commit crimes much more often. Plus the majority of jail sentences towards both white and black people are for simple possession of that very "drug" that my own brother and many friends have been busted for on many occasions.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
i would bet most of those murders are from guns illegally owned... Guns in the hands of people who never had a background check to get them, people who have forfeit Their rights to own guns, or got the gun illegally. No one actually gathers the data to show just where, who all these murders are caused by.

People don't want to show true demographic as to who really does the killing and actually what guns are used. I can tell you that the typical 1000 dollar automatic pistol and the 2000 dollar AR are very low percentage of the total...very low...

But hey it's that kind of weapons getting blamed for it all...go figure...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join