It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD/ADD

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

I'm sure if a child was blowing up his matchbox cars with used firecrackers and gasoline today,they would institutionalize them now.

it's this kind of stuff that wakes me up at night. the road to hell is paved with good intentions although i fear "good intentions" is not a factor in there thinking.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

Who is "sane"?

Take me, for instance, I think I am fairly normal but:

I am quite content to spend entire days without interaction with others, I just don't get lonely. I also have some difficulty in intuiting the way others feel, especially when they are hiding their emotions. I have, therefore, been described as having "High Function Autism" and "Asbergers Syndrome" but perhaps I am, instead, a Dissociative Sociopath with a high moral code and familial attachments?

I have had bouts of depression serious enough to warrant my doctor prescribing antidepressants.

When dealing with a problem, I tend to focus on its solution and tune out less pressing issues.

I also frequent a "Conspiracy Board" which could indicate feelings of paranoia.

So, I could be classified as an obsessive, paranoid, depressed, autistic, sociopath.

Should I have a gun? Should you? Should Obama? Should our police officers?

edit on 17/1/2013 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Add may be classified as a mental ilness but it it far from, its a blessing, an overactive mind is not an illness. Most people with add are smarter than people who dont have add.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

There is biological proof of the existence of ADD..

www.adhd.org.nz...

FLATOW: How - you have found that there are different rewards or reward pathways in the brain for people with ADHD and people without it.

Dr. VOLKOW: No. The reward pathway is the same. What we were actually investigating was whether there were changes in the function of the dopamine reward pathway in the brain in individuals who suffer from attention deficit hyper activity disorder.

So, they still use imaging specifically to monitor different markers of the dopamine system in the brain of individuals with ADHD. We studied 55 of those individuals and 43 healthy controls and then compare the brain of these two groups of subjects. And found that indeed as what have been suggested by clinical stories. There was a significant deficit in the function of the dopamine reward pathways in individuals that have ADHD.

FLATOW: So, you felt more reward if you got - if you're focused.

Dr. VOLKOW: Well, it's - what we are finding is there is decreased activity of the reward system in individuals with ADHD with which translate into a decreased sensitivity to being able to be engaged…

www.npr.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

Simmalar studies have been shot down in the past, when they scan people with "ADD" it is after they have been treated with drugs like Ritalin. And according to you source

www.adhd.org.nz...
Despite it's wide spread therapeutic use over the last 50 years, little is known about how Ritalin works.

That is why psychiatrists wont demand brain scans to diagnose psychiatric illnesses. Its hit and miss, it does not work.
ajp.psychiatryonline.org...

psychrights.org...
A review of over thirty neuroimaging studies on children diagnosed with Attention
Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD, ADHD) by Giedd, Blumenthal, Molloy, and
Castellanos (2001) is organized around tables listing the main findings of studies using
different types of neuroimaging. Like most researchers in this field, Giedd et al. conclude
that the evidence supports the involvement of right frontal–striatal circuitry
with cerebellar modulation in ADHD. However, Giedd et al. do not report on a confounding
variable of crucial interest in this field of research — whether subjects had
been previously treated with stimulants or other psychotropic drugs. In the present
paper, we have redone five of the tables from the Giedd et al. review, adding information
on the subjects’ prior medication exposure, as reported in the individual studies
included in the review. We found that most subjects diagnosed with ADD or ADHD
had prior medication use, often for several months or years. This substantial confound
invalidates any suggestion of ADHD-specific neuropathology. Moreover, the few
recent studies using unmedicated ADHD subjects have inexplicably avoided making
straightforward comparisons of these subjects with controls.

edit on 17-1-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
reply to post by MeesterB

I was diagnosed with bipolar, then later that changed to schizophrenia. Years passed and someone realized that the cancer I had in the military had also spread to my thyroid.

edit on 16-1-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

How did they figure out you had cancer in your thyroid?

I am asking because my son was diagnosed as bipolar, and I see all the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia in him, he has had a thyroid check recently.

Something is wrong with him, and 4 professionals agree with me that something is being "missed"

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
reply to post by Xtrozero

I have this phobia of someone robbing me, or beating me with a baseball bat and not have a gun to protect my self. Does that mean I have a mental illness? Lol

No, not by itself. It certainly shows that enough people in this this society are mentally ill enough to blindy accept this as reality.

Well so you suggest the odds are so little that it most likely would never happen...I'm sure you also do not carry home, car or life insurance too since that most likely will not affect you either anytime soon. I'm 52 and I have all three, but not in 52 years have I used any of them...hehe

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
Despite it's wide spread therapeutic use over the last 50 years, little is known about how Ritalin works.

I was one of the first people to use Ritalin in the 60s. I was hyperactive then, had no self control and could not concentrate on anything longer than 10 seconds. It helped me a lot and I used it for about three years and then didn't need it anymore. Today I'm what you would call a multitasker in I typically do not do just one thing but do many things. Like play computers, watch TV and read....

Helps me in my job where I need to multi task like crazy though...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join