It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD/ADD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
So I was thinking earlier, I guess I agree with obama on one thing: in that crazy people shouldnt have guns. However my definition of crazy might not be what obamas is. He said no one with "mental illness" should own guns. That is disturbing because i just looked it up, and people with ADHD and ADD are thrown in with people who are "mentally ill", and i am 21 and have been diagnosed with both since i was 8. So what are the limits in that?

Please keep it civil, and no shills please..
edit on 16-1-2013 by ReVoLuTiOn76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I guess I'm crazy and they need to come get my guns then,shouldn't they.

This is all ridiculous and borderline hysteria.

BTW,I didn't buy any guns,they were all giving or bought from family and friends.
So if my family and friends didn't feel like I was crazy and going to shoot up a place,they wouldn't have giving them to me,now would they.

How do you control gifts?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

Just curious, but was a father or grandfather of yours in the Vietnam war? I'll humor why, if you need to know.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I'm a 70s child, so hyperactive and attention deficit were just words used to describe my behavior, and not a symptom of a disorder. Looking around at my peers, I've turned out just fine without medical intervention.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

My grandpa who just passed was in the korean war. Pm for the vietnam story im interested.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

I'm a 70s child, so hyperactive and attention deficit were just words used to describe my behavior, and not a symptom of a disorder. Looking around at my peers, I've turned out just fine without medical intervention.

I'm 48 years old and the term then was ,he is just an rambunctious child.

I'm sure if a child was blowing up his matchbox cars with used firecrackers and gasoline today,they would institutionalize them now.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

The Vietnam Story is related to the topic.
On page 33, of the May/June 2012 DAV magazine, you can find a small article about Agent Orange. A registry has been started for collecting birth defect information on the children of Vietnam veterans. The list of birth defects or other conditions are as follows: learning/attention disorders, childhood cancers, autistic spectrum disorders, immune, and endocrine problems.

My initial reason for asking was simple curiousity, and maybe to establish a possible correlation. I should have posted the info to start with, because this could get swept under the rug if everyone involved somehow doesn't know to pay attention. I know how these studies turn out. I was part of a study for rf/microwave radiation link to some cancers, and I was never given the results of the study. I hope enough people push for transparency on this new issue.

I hesitated to share at first, because I do not want to derail this to the topic of Agent Orange. It should be a thread of it's own, and is not an issue limited to Vietnam veterans, but could have effected any one of us.

ETA: My condolences to your family and a salute to your grandfather.
edit on 16-1-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

That's what I'm thinking. I bet, if you wanted, you could get a reevaluation of your mental illness at 20 something and not be labeled mentally ill.

Sounds like a concerning issue, but I honestly don't think it is.
We have to keep guns from mentally ill people, but not all "mentally ill" people are as damaged as other mentally ill people.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
So I was thinking earlier, I guess I agree with obama on one thing: in that crazy people shouldnt have guns. However my definition of crazy might not be what obamas is. He said no one with "mental illness" should own guns. That is disturbing because i just looked it up, and people with ADHD and ADD are thrown in with people who are "mentally ill", and i am 21 and have been diagnosed with both since i was 8. So what are the limits in that?

Please keep it civil, and no shills please..
edit on 16-1-2013 by ReVoLuTiOn76 because: (no reason given)

ADD/ADHD is not a mental illness in my opinion and needs to be reclassified to, maybe a mental condition(?]. People who have this disorder alone are not mentally ill, in my opinion. I think some people, who have comorbid conditions along with it, such as OCD, ODD and bipolarism, etc. may be a different story and fit into the classification.

I am no professional though, just a mother of two boys, one with just ADHD, and one with ADHD,ODD,OCD, and bipolarism. The second son is the only one I would describe as mentally ill.

edit on 16-1-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
What about the thousands of soldiers returning from war with PTSD? Will their guns be taken too?

And imagine the loss of confidentiality in patient/doctor relationships...if a person is having suicidal thoughts he/she may not mention them for fear of losing his/her right to own or retain a gun.

This is all disturbing, it raises many many questions.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Yeah technically ADD is a mental illness, get over it.
If they were separating everyone into healthy and not healthy, if you had a simple cold you would not be "healthy".
But psychiatry is bunk and so is ADD. The trick was that they made ADD/ADDHD a great crutch for people to use as an excuse. So latter in life they were faced with a dilemma. Surrender crutch or admit that they are "mentally ill". Most people will never surrender their crutch as they can always blame all their shortcomings in life on their diagnosis which is why psychiatry wins over the hearts and minds of fools.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Mental health is big business now. If you let the head shrinkers peek inside your skull, chances are they are going to find something they can label you with. And there's nothing you can do about it, because you're crazy so nobody is going to listen to you.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I'm sure if a child was blowing up his matchbox cars with used firecrackers and gasoline today,they would institutionalize them now.

I forgot how much fun it was to be a child. Our kids haven't enjoyed half of the fun that we could. I don't think all the modern fun is a fair consolation prize. If anything it adds to their stress. I know technology causes half of my stress.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Bear in mind Obama is a politician and has to simplify everything into short-sharp sentences sometimes. Things like depression, bi-polar, and addiction to painkillers could arguably go down as mental health illnesses. Rather than just labelling a bunch of mental health conditions, I'd imagine the procedure would be more about assessing people's mental capacity to make informed choices. I'm sure people with conditions such as ADHD (which to me the jury is still out on anyway) and Asperger's Syndrome could show they have capacity, maybe even schizophrenics if their medication regime was working well.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I find it a bit crazy itself that these terms are grouped in with the mentally ill crowd.

I have both and was diagnosed Bipolar/Manic Depressive 8 yrs ago. I had something traumatic happen and it triggered the bipolar. Yrs of mental/physical abuse can make one break, mentally. I took meds for about 6mths and my levels balanced out. Most would say I'm crazy with that diagnosis but it's just a chemical imbalance in the brain and once it was set right i felt fine.

My brother was labeled ADHD as a kid and they tried to put him on meds and my mom refused them. He was a hyper growing boy! Nothing unusual about that. Today he is extremely calm and the opposite.

I think there are too many labels tossed around today. There is a disorder for everything now a days. It's a bit ridiculous, just like there's a pill for everything. Its like they want all these disorders to have everyone doped up or something.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by twfau

Yeah, you obviously are not educated in the issue at all. I hate to break it to you but yes. "depression" and "bi-polar" are both classified as mental illnesses.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Most would say I'm crazy with that diagnosis but it's just a chemical imbalance in the brain and once it was set right i felt fine.

That is always fun...
Please educate me. EXACTLY what chemicals were "imbalanced" and if there is a proven "imbalance" then there must be a measurable balance of what these chemicals should be.
What are the chemicals?
What is the exact point of imbalance?
What is medically considered "balanced"?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

That's what I'm thinking. I bet, if you wanted, you could get a reevaluation of your mental illness at 20 something and not be labeled mentally ill.

Sounds like a concerning issue, but I honestly don't think it is.
We have to keep guns from mentally ill people, but not all "mentally ill" people are as damaged as other mentally ill people.

I think that you meant the OP and not me. I am currently free from any mental health labels. When I first was released from the military, I was diagnosed with bipolar, then later that changed to schizophrenia. Years passed and someone realized that the cancer I had in the military had also spread to my thyroid. Chemo fried the tumor, along with my thyroid, but that's a small price for complete remission. I still act much the same as I did when I was "crazy", but I'm not "crazy" any more.

edit on 16-1-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm quite educated thank-you, but not in the context of gun-control. Is Obama implying people on anti-depressants won't be allowed to own a gun?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by twfau
I'm quite educated thank-you, but not in the context of gun-control. Is Obama implying people on anti-depressants won't be allowed to own a gun?

I wish!
Most of these mass shooters were on some form of anti-depressants. The side effect of these drugs is homicidal and suicidal behavior.
Choose a crutch or a gun, you can't have both.

And by the way, if you were really educated then you would know that bipolar and depression were in fact mental illnesses, otherwise there would not be a multi billion dollar industry dedicated to the treatment of them.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join