It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets rename AboveTop Secret to " Lets argue about everything anyone posts " !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
what the hell has happened to this board?
ive been here four years now and was a ghost for three before that!
it seems to me its nothing but people arguing!

are there any sane minds out there?
why are we so compelled to argue with each other?
will anyone here ever agree?

i worry!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I always found that arguing because of conflicting viewpoints actually generates some great info. Especially when you have those people that just link articles back and forth to further their arguments.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

There actually is quite a bit of consensus on this site, which is (IMO) both good and bad. Just look at how many people agree with each other (either on one side or the other) on the gun debate which has been raging on this site for the last month now.

Do expect someone to post something and everyone just read it and agree without any consideration to the validity of said post or position?

Debate is one of the ways we as humans are able to evaluate what is true and not true you know.

ETA: Deny Ignorance.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
i personally think a new kind of 'alien mind control' is being applied in the US and some other countries.
was gonna make a thread about it, but i thought people would argue about it, thinking that they are demonstrating their supreme debunking skills.
it's something to think about, i'm keeping my eyes open for it.

also, i think i've identified some members here as 'reptillians'.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
A lot of controversial topics are discussed here, by a lot of people from different backgrounds. Heated debates and arguments are part and parcel of it all.

Admittedly, there are those who are looking to be offended, and will even bait you to do so if they can.
There are also those who love to troll, and those who live life with horse blinders on...

Kind of like in the real world. So it's no surprise that ATS is a microcosm of it. It's all good.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Back in the early days of the Iraq war, it was just as bad (if not worse)
Then we had the elections between Bush and Kerry (dear god that was unbarable)
We eveantually moved into Obama V Mcain (which prompted a couple of weeks stress leave from ATS
.. now we have the guns issue.

Think about this, if everyone agreed on this website, what a boring bunch we would be.

the reason I come here, is because many (if not majority) disagree with me! I dont come here to feel good, or prove people wrong, I come here because I hope to show people MY understanding of a situation, likewise, I like coming here and having MY values and attitudes challenged so I understand YOUR situation.

enjoy it... dont bash it!

I made a personal promise to avoid the gun control threads from yesterday onwards, because I was worried Id go postal in the ATS lounge one day!
edit on 16-1-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Free4Ever2

i worry!

Nothing has happened to this board.
Ghost for three years? Pics or it didn't happen.
No one is arguing. You are wrong.

Everyone is sane on this conspiracy board, everyone not on it is not sane.
We aren't compelled, it's just that Nibiru is getting closer to Earth upsetting the delicate balance.
We will see if you agree with me, otherwise, you are what's wrong.

I don't worry, I be happy.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Lets rename AboveTop Secret to " Lets argue about everything anyone posts " !

You would make a great entry for the "January 2013 Greatest Title Award" with this one !!!

I think that argument is part of the game, tons of members from different backgrounds, different upbringings, different educations, different parts of the world, different beliefs and ideologies...

At times, in real life, we have problems avoiding conflicts in our own little families. Now imagine a website, on the internet, where there are four to five hundred people logged in at all times. I'd say that chances are that it's bound to happen, often...

And then again, wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed? What would we learn from that?

S&F !

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I love how no matter what anyone says, no one ever changes their mind.
Instead of trying to find out the truth, people would rather try to convince others of what they believe.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

i worry!

Thats what happens when the 4chan and Reddit kids found this place. Most of them wanna argue just to argue, I just try and ignore them.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

what the hell are you talking about?

thats completely false!

you must be a usurper shill from the planet mars come to steal our women & cheese!!

why else would you attack those innocent cows & replace women's breasts with implants!!

all ur ta ta's belong to us!!

had to..

but yeah..

argumentation is a lost art form..

degraded to a school yard yelling match all to often here..

the exchange of conflicting ideas that challenge & encourage

personal (or actually any kind of) growth, has become far & few between..

sadly it just seems a race for stars & flags lately..

peace out..

maybe we'll argue sometime, you know.. in a good way

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

i worry!

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am afraid at times to post because when I check and no-one has started to argue I can breathe a sigh of relief but doesn't happen often

Flag and star for you....
edit on 16-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Oh that's nothing. Now folks will claim I posted something I didn't, cant quote it because it doesn't exist and then know more about what I am thinking than I do...
I guess thats an improvement on when I was threatened that someone was going to track me down and beat me up.. googled my screen name and got my location/real name wrong. I havent seen that member for a long time.. maybe theyre still driving around trying to find me..

Ahhh ATS.. a slice of real life!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I don' t mind a good arguement...but I have noticed an increase in pointless arguing...and often it's the same people in thread after thread..no matter the topic...no matter the stance....just argue...
It does get tiresome

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This forum needs a elite forum, or part of it, for respected, checked, confirmed, valid members. A checkers, not arguals.

Blame pokemons for all

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
People have differing opinions.
When you have people that see a conspiracy in everything or people that blindly believe then you are going to have arguments.
I would much rather have that then a site that is 100% for or against something.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't mind the touch and go especially when it is bringing good information to the table. What I do see a bit is people just jabbering on for the sake of jabbering on and pride. That is something that does piss me off especially when it is derailing someones efforts.
edit on 16-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The only thing conspiracy theorists can agree on is that the official story is a fraud...as for the truth, well it's full on Civil War time among conspiracy theorists. It's why it is so easy to mock conspiracy theorists, because so little is agreed upon between them. Even if the truth is in there somewhere there's still a thousand opposing POV. There is very little respect shown for conflicting POV in the conspiracy theory community. There is virtually no unity in this community, after all how to I know I can trust you?! And I'm smarter than you besides! Everyone KNOWS that they are right, and everyone else wrong (unless you agree with me of course, I am the sole proprietor of the truth, not you! LIAR!). Evidence be damned. Conspiracy theorists are an especially sensitive people, often prone to extreme hate filled outbursts attacking and name calling anyone that questions their premise. I should know, not only do I wander this world totally asleep like so many other mindless sheeple, I'm also a troll and a government disinformation agent. I suspect so many conspiracy theorists are so accustomed to being ridiculed and mocked in most other settings that in one like this--a website for "us"--their tolerance for opposing POV is particular low. Not to mention the anonymity of the internet has the common effect of fostering boldness in people. For a very long time this website was one of my favorites, and was here almost everyday. And then my visits became more and more infrequent, and one major reason why is the utter opposition to open discussion. If you don't see a conspiracy in everything then you are stupid, a liar and evil or worse. It would be nice to see more respect around here, but it won't happen. Sometimes you have to vent though, I get you OP.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
NO, I don't think so.

Therefore I am going to argue with you, about arguing about, the argument to change the ATS to lets argue about.

edit on 16-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Arguing is one thing, pointless arguing is something else.

Attacking the poster because you don't like their viewpoint is something else, entirely. I made a thread last night, and when I logged on today, almost every single post was a personal attack. Only two replies had anything to do with the post itself.

Those are the ones that get me shaking my head.

Debating a topic is ok, I have even changed my stance, admitted I was wrong, etc. Never had it happen in return, though! A lot of people have to always be right, have to always have the last word. I just walk away. I don't care if it looks like I "lost". I feel like the bigger person for it, and couldn't care less how they or anyone else sees me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join