It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meaning of Life?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 03:23 AM
link   
well its a good question and probably been asked a million times as well

but i'm interested in what people in here think, the meaning of life is?

why are we here?

for what purpose?

where did we come from?

how's it going to end?

come on everyone give me your thoughts!!!!!!

blackwidow

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Death and Taxes!!!!!!!!, Death and Taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Other than that, there's eating, sleeping and my favorite fornicating and poon-nah-ne!!.

Everything else could most probably be nothing more than a complete waste of F'ing time.

But most certianly, ...................................................................................

Mooooah........ah......ah.ah.argh!!!

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:31 AM
link   
...hey Maddas...you forgot Rugby in that list...

...what kinda NZer are ya??

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:33 AM
link   
scientifically, the meaning of life, is sex

the continuation of the species

VzH

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I think the meaning of life is what you make of it, doing things that make you realise that you're a living entity, i.e., being alive.

For example, I jumped off a plane from 18,000 feet recently. That was an existential experience and what I went through when I experienced that was what made me realise what life is about---I was being alive (or existing). Likewise, when I have great sex, that also makes me feel extremely alive. Or when I do skiing. Or eating a great meal. Or enjoying a good laugh or a cry. Or marvelling at the beauty of nature and reaching a Zen-buddist-like state with it. Or answering to your post on this web page.......

And so on---in general, doing things you're passionate about makes you realise that you're alive.That is when I realise I'm alive. I'm being alive. And that is the meaning of life!

If there is confusion about what I'm writing about , think of it this way: what does it mean to be a rock? Or a planet or a star? Or a table? Or a cloud? Or a wind? Or a ray of light? That meaning lies in what each object is, the way it is defined and characterised, the way it exists. The meaning of "a ray of light" is just that being a ray of light. Likewise, the meaning of life is just that being alive!

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Meaning of life? Don't think there is one. What purpose could we possibly serve here on earth? None. Unless that purpose is to destroy each other, our planet, and our own bodie's. That's what we seem to do best ...

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   
well i wouldnt say that you was far off the point there e-nonymous

blackwidow

VzH

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 05:23 AM
link   

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of............

You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life............

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 05:25 AM
link   
V,

C'mon man ... let's not pull any of that zen crap. lol

Good point though too!

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 06:12 AM
link   
i got to agree the meaning of life is to live , pass on ya DNA then die with as little trouble in the process i think i can handle the resposibilty

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Hmmmm?

Well, the meaning of life may be diffrent to everyone on this planet?

But to me.....

To explore
To enjoy what challanges life brings me
To be loved
To have fun and just be the best person you can

I'm abig softy at heart but i ain't no sheep so i don't follow everyone elses rules!
(unless on duty!)

Regards
Gryffen

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Still reckon its fornicating.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   
i'm going with maddas, the meaning of life is to pass along your genes, though what the meaning of that is I have no idea.

While passing along your genes, during the act and in the intervals you should do whatever makes you feel the best.

XAOS

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Yeap Xaos, its all about getting out of ya jeans, and getting down and dirty.

For any other meaning I suggest the author of this thread take a trip to religion and sprituality for any greater, meaning full opinions.

Because,

You and me ar'nt nothing but mammals,
So lets do it like they do on the discovery channel.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 07:46 AM
link   
well i dont know if the saying is right now? "the meaning of life" as going by your answers, its more how you interpret life. me! i sometimes look on my life as a book, each chapter is another part in my life, when that part is finished then another chapter is closed. its like saying that all of us in our life time come to a cross-roads (some more times than others) and we have too choose between more than one road, we dont always choose the right ones either, but hopefully we learn by our mistakes. but then some still keep on making the same wrong ones.at least i have a son to carry on my hopes and dreams (or nightmares which ever you prefer)

blackwidow

[Edited on 7-5-2003 by blackwidow666]

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Three purposes for the return of souls to this world : To collect into the soul the properties of all being , to acquire knowledge of all things , to acquire the power to overcome chaos.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Dont sound like a book to me, more like encyclopedia.

Like looking for Einstien in volume S-T.

Life for everyone is different. For me it's a struggle to find something more than just the physical. But being analytical I find it hard to be honestly spritual. Therefore are a five minute wonder most of the time. (except in the bedroom, kitchen,lounge...etc.....etc.....)

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:02 AM
link   
thank you for your words of wisdom

i was just wondering if you had a life outside your jeans?

blackwidow

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Why, 42 of course....

Seriously though, for me...

Making sure that the good that you do while here, far outweighs the evils that you have done, and enjoy it while you're here. For me, that is the meaning of life.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
you don't have very meaningful lives...90% of your responses are "live how you want to live" or "whatever makes you feel good". I don't buy it; there has to be something more than feeling good. There's got to be a deeper reason than the biological as well, what about people who don't ever make a baby, or can't were they born into this world with out a purpose?

There has to be something more: an Absolute Truth, an Ultimate Reality, and a Meaning to it all...

AS for answers, I don't claim to have many of them, but I certainly have more questions than you guys (I've barely skimmed the surface here of centuries of philosophy)...I thought we were always supposed to question, not be content with what feels good...because Apathy feels good, not caring to go out and find answers or fight the Man feels good and subservience feels good, (heck the matrix is more comfy than fighting for what's outside the matrix)...but there has to be answers...

There has to be Truth...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join