It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our measurement of Time is wrong?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hatchetman78

That is the hardest post to read in the history of the internet. Could you break it up a little?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

I will put a link to an article here which is written in regards to the Hebraic calendar from a Biblical and historic perspective. A fantastic amount of information about solar and lunar cycles, perspectives of times and calendars from numerous time periods and numerous people's around the earth, the periods of change in time which coincide with calendar changes of different civilizations, and much more. I am not sure of your other opinions and background so I will presumptively ask that you not be turned of in the beginning of the article by something which may not jive with your views, because I feel if you read through the Entire article you will find it fascinating And I believe you will find some interesting answers, and perhaps come up with more interesting questions. I hope you enjoy it.

www.bethelcog.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Not so, you have a retrospective update that needs to occur due to the fact we don't have a true baseline calculation of time passed.
So we have to work off of our current time period and work backwards.

Which is why I base it off of 2012 years worth of seconds, 3600 seconds (per minute).

I know the numbers don't marry up, but even if you look at it as a really simlpe (incorrect) 5.5 years, if you take into account leap years per 4 years (2012 / 4 = 503 days / 365.256 = 1.37 Years), we have a Calendar discrepancy of 1.37 Years over the last 2012 years.

That's why I went down to seconds... To get the most accurate number available.
And what you see when you do that, the time discrepancy compounds.

I am not sure why this happens... but that's what the numbers show.

edit on 16/1/2013 by Sovaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

A rather large article indeed... I will endeavor to read it all and will get back to you with what I find.
But first, I need to quadruple check my Excel math to ensure I have calculated the Calendar discrepancy correctly.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

I am not sure why this happens... but that's what the numbers show.

It's because you are wrong.

Read this en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I don't think it makes a difference . The scientists can invent their own super accurate clocks for where it's necessary and for the rest of us it really makes no never mind .

While we could have gone with a basic unit of time being how long it takes an english pea to fall ten feet or some such , I believe what we settled on was every time the sun gets directly over the Royal Observatory in Greenwich they fire a cannon , which let's everyone know it's noon .
edit on 16-1-2013 by thudpuddy because: forgot a word

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
well, however you choose to paint it, it's clear that it does work...so I don't see the fuss.

whether or not you, yourself, can reconcile it, I do not have to reset my clock every other week. so, before making the assumption that the CLOCK is spooky, perhaps you should consider that YOU are wrong?

but in general, I think it's a good thing to question the most basic premises of our existence. good job.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Argh, so much religion... I couldn't get past the 5 paragraph.
Sorry, I tried

What I am trying to establish, is the correct amount of time to be measure as by the movements of the body we currently occupy;
Earth.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If the OP's view is correct we would have experienced long periods of winter during summer months and summer during winter months. If it's 5 years difference then every 400 years or so the seasons would have to be exactly opposite on the calendar. Is there any historical record of such?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Anyway i havent let the technology part in for the good reason that we are reading this now here hehe i mean now now sorry it was a lame joke but now is a time and that is an amazing part in which it will all make sense so with the technology how does our time stand which is partially the third point but leads me to the question of when is now or what year is it now the fact is i dont know but let me argue it a little Albert Einstiens therory of relativity is like pushing back on a pin it bends but you add onto it now read the pin bends back we use the term back with time and if you feel the pin bending you could say your straining it has been wethered and can break ask yourself what actually runs time or can you get yourself out of it the fact is i think our technology has allot to do with some we have that requires more attention for detail than a detail aknowledgement so by looking at the sun you would aknowledge it more then paying attention looking at a grandfather clock you would be paying attention now an alarm clock i think a technical side. This side is evident not only for the alarm clock you can have a flat battery you can find the power is cut i dont mean a black out solely but workably because if power went out it would mean something totally different now than then the only explanation is time has forever been around i dont think the sun was never in the sky shinning but i still think i dont know how to find the answer now with an alarm clock why is it different to say a wind up alarm clock? can you answer this right now it feels like its such big of a getting puzzled senario with sun that never stops shining adam and eveknow about a time and life was ever and never goes i'de like to think about that for a second does it count to say you need to be at work a certain time? The has begun to boggle why probably because you and i can be individually different let not forget that there are the good times and there are the bad now what else can brand it for you? I'd like to say i am haveing fun typing this hehe but drawing the conlusion for me comes down to either chance or luck PLUS the change i put through relativity do we aknowledge our the the same every time whats everytime does it matter like also does it matter i think your answer is here is now resulting within a disrupted weighing due on something with the roman numerals and sense the scale airs between a thick or a thistle that it would now be 1881 because of generation to generation carry i just feel its not that hard to believe but to consider if we the people gather among the season is always the same that rule is still the key player for me that remains evident history can also be something date with findings of money way before christ found with metal detectors I'm not 100 percent sure but sure enough its right on time the years we have are actuall ad one everything before that is bc isnt it? i dont know.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Yeah, I came across this and read it last night. I thought you might have troubles. The meat of it gets to the fact that all known civilizations (Mayans, Babylonians, Egyptians, just to name a few). Had a 24 hour 12 month calendar. This was solar and lunar and it completely jived for 1,000's of years. Then during a specific time period they all started having problems. Their calendars were wrong. It is chronicled in all of these civilizations during this time period, kings/rulers started freaking out when they, and the people notice their special times not falling in the correct seasons and so forth. They ordered all the astronomers to find out what the heck is going on, (yes all the civilizations). That's when all the calendars and times got mixed up from each other because they all came up with different ways to deal with the "anomalies", which were now the norm. The big question is not the difference. Anyone can research the #'s, scientists have always known that, # all these ancients new it by many fractions, they just compensated for it differently. What your conscious is trying to get you to ask and find the answer to is WHY DID IT HAPPEN?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
According to;
solarsystem.nasa.gov...

Orbit Travel Distance: 939,887,974km
Orbit Velocity: 107,218kph
Giving us a Year with 366.256 Days @ 23hrs 56m 4s per day.

So, over 2013 years, we would have had 737,273.328 days.
With the current Calendar system; 735,260.328 days.

Giving us a difference of 2,013 days... That's a hell of a coincidence O_o.
Again, divide that 2,013 by the current Calendar system; -5.511 Years.
Since Year 0, we have had 503 Leap Years, adjusting the current Calendar +503 days or +1.377 Years as compared to the Actual Calendar term.
-5.511 + 1.377 = -4.134 Year Difference.

So it would appear my OP was completely wrong and in fact our Calendar is out by -4.134 Years.
Our current Calendar Year should be 2009, not 2013 or 1881 as in my OP.

That makes a little more sense

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I believe it happened because they were basing Earth's position in relation to other Galaxy's and Star's... As well as our Moon too.

Their error there is that it wasn't solely based on Earth and the relation to our Sun... The only real body in our Solar system that greatly effects our seasons and day/night cycle.

Mixing several different measuring points didn't make it accurate in this case... Just made it wildly inaccurate as time went on... Which is what we are starting to see here in my calculations.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

I don't think you're understanding. They were exactly right! Then something happened on to earth and in the solar system somewhere around 809 - 757 BC to change it. This was recognized by civilizations all over the earth and they compensated for it differently. They were all right again! There are accounts from all over the Earth during this time acclaiming crazy, dramatic things in the heavens and they affected the calendar (time) on Earth!!!
These things changes in time continued to take place over a # of years and leveled off to present timing around 687 BC,,, that's when you see massive calendar changes which become more permanent in historical records.

edit on 16-1-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: Add.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Very interesting thread. All of your opinions are so fascinating.

I do believe time is man-made. I think if our perception of time is wrong, it doesn't matter. Time does not exist everywhere. Time is just a form of measurement for organization, to me. I mean these are just my thoughts I may have it all wrong. I don't think you can measure time correctly with all of those calculations, anyway. It's still not precise.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sovaka

Just made it wildly inaccurate as time went on... Which is what we are starting to see here in my calculations.

Speaking of wildly inaccurate calculations, you might consider this "fun fact" in yours

Another way to see this difference is to notice that, relative to the stars, the Sun appears to move around the Earth once per year. Therefore, there is one fewer solar day per year than there are sidereal days. This makes a sidereal day approximately 365.24⁄366.24 times the length of the 24-hour solar day, giving approximately 23 hours, 56 minutes, 4.1 seconds (86,164.1 seconds).
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You mean to tell me that we have to go through that whole december 21 2012 end date scenario again?

Oh well....... on a positive note, I'm happy to be somewhat younger

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Good news. I feel younger already.

Here's why 60 is such an important number when stating time:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Time always interests me, or rather the concept of it. I know it is an illusion, but clocks and timekeeping devices are real. What a dichotomy.

Anyway, two things to consider. Anyone had a chance to think about the effect of our Solar System speeding through the galaxy (and in turn, the galaxy's speed through the Universe) has on it? It is such an astoundingly fast velocity compounded by another astoundingly fast velocity.

Every time I think of time like this, I think of Rob Bryanton's excellent video about the speed of light, titled "Light has no speed." www.youtube.com...

At first, when watching it, I had a few WTF moments, but I kept pondering. And it snapped.

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
At first, when watching it, I had a few WTF moments, but I kept pondering. And it snapped.
Thoughts?

Yeah, its a weird thing.
We think a photon travelling from a distant galaxy takes a long "time" to get here, but from the point of view of the photon the journey takes zero time and travels a distance of zero.
From the point of view of a photon, its creation, mirror bouncing, interference through slits and collision with the final detector all happen *at the same place, at the same time!*

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join