Manti Te'o (Notre Dame Heisman finalist) dead girlfriend a HOAX

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is pathetic.

deadspin.com...
edit on 16-1-2013 by broctune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by broctune

This is actually a very interesting "conspiracy" and I think it should be moved to the main bored.

I mean, either this guy faked that he had a girlfriend with leukemia that died to get media attention, or he was the target of an elaborate hoax for some reason.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex

This is actually a very interesting "conspiracy" and I think it should be moved to the main bored.

I mean, either this guy faked that he had a girlfriend with leukemia that died to get media attention, or he was the target of an elaborate hoax for some reason.

I probably should have posted it in a different forum. It was a huge national story.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I believe this should be moved to a different part of the forum. This shows how lazy, and potentially dangerous, the media in the U.S. has become. This story went on for over a year, and the mainstream media ran with this almost all football season.

Perfect way to show someone new to conspiracy topics regarding the media that one cannot take everything that is reported as fact.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueSuperman
I believe this should be moved to a different part of the forum. This shows how lazy, and potentially dangerous, the media in the U.S. has become. This story went on for over a year, and the mainstream media ran with this almost all football season.

Perfect way to show someone new to conspiracy topics regarding the media that one cannot take everything that is reported as fact.

But not only the media, but Notre Dame and his parents.

His parents claimed that this girl came to visit...how can that happen if she didn't exist?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
How will he handle play action passes and misdirection runs if he can't even figure out this was a hoax? That's my joke. The dude is a sorry excuse of a human being. He made this up for publicity and his own personal gain.
edit on 1/16/2013 by Ozymandias121 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
It gets even more bizarre.
espn.go.com...

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.

"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."

Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.

"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "

When reached by ESPN.com on Wednesday night, former University of Washington and NFL quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo acknowledged that he is a cousin of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo but said he never had met or heard of Kekua.

Mauia said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."

So Deadspin is claiming this Tuiasosopo lady (Marques' cousin) is Kekua. Reagan Mauia swears he met Kekua, being introduced to her by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo. WHAT THE BLUE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? This has got to be one of the most bizarre news stories I have ever seen.

My money? I'm gonna bet that Kekua is real. I'm believing Mauia on this. However, I'm also willing to bet that her legal name isn't Kekua. Her and Tuiasosopo either have some sort of gold digger scheme going on or they are sick in the head and enjoy playing games.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

This is a false story, Kekua was real. She died when he overinflated her one day.

edit on 17-1-2013 by Aleister because: adding the name of dearly departed

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
IMO, there are only 2 reasons you fake having a girlfriend:

1. You can't find one (very doubtful for a Heisman candidate)
2. You don't want one (take that however you wish)

I'm going with #2

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Notre Dame sure seems to be backing him all the way on this, which would ordinarily make me believe him all the more. But after all that Penn State flap, and the current issues with Lance Armstrong, it makes it very difficult to take anything anyone says at face value. In this case with so many inconsistencies, I'm having a hard time buying he wasn't complicit in the ruse.

Fortunately for me at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. He either got played for a chump, or he's a complete jerk. I don't see where anyone was materially harmed beyond extreme embarrassment for Manti, if he was in fact the victim. Either way, no epidermis off my posterior.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
edit on 1/17/2013 by yeahright because: Fix code

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
A picture has surfaced online of Clint Eastwood talking to Manti Te'o's girlfriend…

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace
A picture has surfaced online of Clint Eastwood talking to Manti Te'o's girlfriend…

That's hilarious. It's insane that Teo is pretending to be the victim in this hoax. He's done nothing but benefit from it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I also think this belongs on the main conspiracy board. It is a shame Manti got scammed by a friend like that.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Sorry, the main board is currently limited to gun topics. Unless his friend held a gun on him, this thread's in the right place.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Doesn't it play to "the media is involved" to limit the main board to gun topics? This whole gun thing is probably a distraction for something else that is going on, but we'll only find gun control on the main board.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I really feel sorry for this kid, especially after watching Anderson Cooper's story about it. I mean, it's probably going to be that the guy got duped, was embarrassed about it, and started making up some embellishments, and BOOM. He's on national news.

Seriously?

Show me a 21 year old who hasn't lied a little bit about a girl. Anybody?

Cooper had his entire show on this tonight like it's the story of the century. "College football player lies about a girl". ??? And now he wants him to come on TV, and roll over and show him his tender parts?

I'm worried that the media is going to ruin this kid's life, or drive him to suicide.

Disgraceful. Find some real news CNN.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm not yet ready to believe anything about this story until all the facts come out. So many unanswered questions. He told ESPN she was the most beautiful girl he had ever met, now they only met online.

The biggest eyeopener for most people about this should be the media's running of the original story. Why did nobody, until Deadspin decided to dig around, do any checks? You would've thought some would've tried to get an interview with the relatives after her death?

The media were either implicit in the hoax or are really showing how inept they are at real investigative journalism.

www.newsey.es...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ginga

I think the majority of us here will concede that media collectively does an abysmal job of investigative reporting. No one cares if they're right, the goal is to be first. Now to be fair, of all the stories worthy of serious investigative journalism, I don't know that this is one. Had it been uncovered early on, my reaction would've probably been "Good job. You busted a 21 year old college kid's fake girlfriend story. Way to use your resources."

Of all the things journalists could dig into, this one really isn't on my radar. But the media is more about advertising than about stories. They give us what we collectively demand. No one cares about the Fed, or Operation Fast and Furious, or a few thousand other topics I'd argue are significantly more relevant, but let bicycle boy roll over on Oprah and we can't suck it up fast enough.

Ideas are dead. It's all about the personalities.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Let me see if i have got this........a kid (college so yes, a kid) has a fake girlfriend? And this is a shocker why? Hells teeth, any teacher worth their salt has lost track by every October the amount of rubbish and fake stories they hear in the classroom.

From my point of view, a much bigger story would be why do so many people care that a kid has a fake girlfriend?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Sure, I totally agree - there are many more events I'd rather see the media dig deeper into. What I find interesting about this is that just a slight bit of investigating would've raised alarm bells. Every news site would've been searching for pictures of Manti with the girl. They would've checked social media sites. Somewhere somebody in a news room should have said, "hey, I can't find jack on this girl". But every single news site, except for Deadspin, supposedly took his word she had died and left it that.

I find that extremely unusual in this day and age when paparazzi crawl up the a$$ of anybody who gets their name in a headline.

Either journalism is completely dead or the media knew more than they are letting on. Let's face it - it's the kind of story which sells papers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join