It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian court sentences Christian family to 15 years for converting from Islam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

JAILED FOR BELIEFS: Egypt Family Gets 15 Years For Christian Conversion

www.foxnews.com

The 15-year prison sentence given to a woman and her seven children by an Egyptian court for converting to Christianity is a sign of things to come, according to alarmed human rights advocates who say the nation's Islamist government is bad news for Christians in the North African country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 16-1-2013 by Rising Against because: You must use the same headline as the article..

+42 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I had to post this and not for the reasons that you might think. I was literally shocked after reading this article, and I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I was just wondering if anyone else finds this article ironic. I realize that this is coming from Fox News and I didn't check to see if it was on the other news sites or not, but it still falls under the same moronic mind set regardless.

Here we Americans are detaining Muslims because they are Muslims and assumed terrorists. They say that we are only holding terrorrist but do we actually know for a fact that everyone that was picked up on 9/11 or shortly thereafter were terrorists and not just Middle Eastern Muslims?

Yet we are posting news about Chrisitians being detained in Egypt, and crying out about the travesty of it. I just think it's funny how blatantly hypocritical this is. It just shows us all again how much dominance Christian Society has in the US..

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+33 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but are you really trying to compare the sad and unfortunate condition of human nature towards social religious prejudice, to being sent for prison for 15 years?
I'm not seeing your connection here.
Being sent to prison for any religious belief, Christian, Muslim, or otherwise, is a travesty.
For human beings to have a natural suspicion towards Islam in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 is not.
Being ostracized for your religious affiliation is one thing, but going to prison for it is quite another.
People get beheaded in the Middle East for converting to Christianity.
I don't know of any Muslims losing their noggin' over here for their choice of faith.

But way to jump on the trendy Christian-hater bandwagon, I guess. Apparently it's the new coolest thing.
edit on 16-1-2013 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Just one more indicator that shows WHO is actually behind all false religions.

"Every major religion in the world has been manufactured or infiltrated by the Illuminati to enslave and brainwash society. In essence, religion was the first form of mind control."

All false religions are illuminati created
Religion is a major tool of the Illuminati agenda

Religion PRETENDS to be the way and the truth but Jesus said, ‘I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no man can come unto the Father but by Me.’

What if I were to tell you, that there is a vast Satanic conspiracy to deceive the masses of every society on earth? What if I were to tell you that the top leaders of the world’s religions were in league with the Devil?

Would you think I’m crazy? I would! Yet, the truth is stranger than fiction! You have been lied to my friend. Few people in the world today are aware of just how much Satan has infiltrated and is behind ALL false religion.

Satan is behind ALL false religion

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
...do we actually know for a fact that everyone that was picked up on 9/11 or shortly thereafter were terrorists and not just Middle Eastern Muslims?

Acutally most of them were Israeli, former Mossad and IDF, a good number of them alleged 'art students' or explosives and demolitions experts. Picked up, and sent back home no questions asked by DHS Head and dual US/Israeli citizen Chertoff. Makes you wonder whose homeland they were securing.
The concept of hyprocrisy seemingly only applies to non western nations, but great point nonetheless.

+39 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

I'm comparing the US practice of locking up Muslim's for being supposed terrorists for over 11yrs in Guatanamo Bay, to the unfortunate detention of Christians in Egypt.

We as a nation have come to the assumption that Muslims are terrorists, a nd no matter what you say there is no way you can argue that the word Muslim doesn't mean terrorist in probably 90% of all American's minds.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm not going to say that all Muslims are horrible, because I considered reverting for a while.

I am going to say these Muslims are horrible.
And I am going to bet that if the liberal media mentions this at all, they will not come down against this as much as they should.

Also I'd like to point out that Obama has sent firearms to Egypt.

It's not completely related, but are these the people our country should be arming?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I'm comparing the US practice of locking up Muslim's for being supposed terrorists for over 11yrs in Guatanamo Bay, to the unfortunate detention of Christians in Egypt.

We as a nation have come to the assumption that Muslims are terrorists, a nd no matter what you say there is no way you can argue that the word Muslim doesn't mean terrorist in probably 90% of all American's minds.

I choose to refrain from this particular debate, lest I speak offensive truths and divert the topic of your thread.
And it is with great reluctance, I can assure you.

+25 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I'm not jumping on any bandwagon. If I am jumping on a bandwagon of any sort it is the bandwagon that religion in general us used for nefarious reasons. I am not saying that all religions are evil or that they are hateful. However, I will point out that religions has its negatives points..

KKK - Has taken the Christian bible and turned it into justification for malice towards blacks.
Hitler - Used Christianity to justify the murder of the jewish people and the purity of the white race.
Musilim extremists - Use the Koran to justify Jihad against any non Muslims.
Christians - Used the bible to reign terror on pagans in the Crusades. Even manifest destiny came from Christian ethics.

I cannot speak for every religion as I do not know them all, but I do know that religion is used as a justificaton for a lot of things in the world.

I respect that you do not wish to further continue the conversation, but if you are excusing yourself just on the basis that you disagree with my use of the Christian faith in my OP. Then you are just not looking at things with an open mind.

The major point of this whole post was to point out that the American media is criticizing another nation for detaining people for their religious beliefs. Whether you think it is right or wrong (I personally think it is wrong) It is a complete and total hypocritical stance for we as Americans to get mad at another country for doing something they shouldn't be doing while at the same time dismissing what our country is already doing.
edit on 1/16/2013 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Why is this a surprise?

It is nto teh first time somone in a moslem country has ben punished for converting - IIRC the normal sentence is death for apostasy isn't it??

And it is not like harrassment of converts never happened under Mabarak either - see here

The number of Muslim-born converts to Christianity in Egypt, who are keeping their faith secret, has reached several million. Due to the State Security's persecution, torture and rape, they have established outside Egypt an organization called "Freed by Christ" as well as "Way TV" to speak on their behalf to the West, and expose their sufferings at the hands of State Security. It is headed by the Christian convert Dr. Mohamad Rahouna, ex-dean of the Faculty of Arabic Studies, Minya University, who fled to the United States.

Islam is a religion that has very low tolerance of people who don't like it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

And ZERO tolerance for Christians, and especially for those who convert from Islam to any other faith.

15 years isn't too bad, most Islamic countries would have beheaded them in public.

+38 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Why is this a surprise?

It is nto teh first time somone in a moslem country has ben punished for converting - IIRC the normal sentence is death for apostasy isn't it??

And it is not like harrassment of converts never happened under Mabarak either -

I have no dissillusions that this is a new practice and not an old one. I am sure it is. I was more just caught off guard by the headline and the way the article was written. The condemnation of a country for this practice that we Americans have done and are still doing.

I would argue that one could say the same about the Christian religion.
edit on 1/16/2013 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

That is pretty amazing the way your mind works.
You know many of those in gitmo are POWs that were captured or they have been linked to the events of 9/11. They are not being locked up for simply being muslim.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
They still got off lightly, more than 80 % of egyptian muslims want death penalty for leaving islam. It is largely a nation of savages. Just because the west has moved on from such middle-ages mindset does not mean whole world did the same.

source

+41 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

as a Muslim I should say that radicalism is the dirty reality in the middle east. it is supported by the monarchies of the middle east. and the hands of international colonialism machine is vivid in spreading radicalism in the middle east.
all the people of middle east including Egyptians should be wary about those radicals (Salafists , Wahabists) the ideology of Taliban and Al_Qaeda. they are a minority but by support of hidden hands they are killing muslims and christians in Pakistan and Syria, Iraq or even other places. and the corrupted clerics in the Saudi Arabia say, fight them in order to go to the heaven !!!!!
all the people and nations are against radicalism, including Egyptians.
one of the threats in Egypt is that media hand in hand with radicals want to wage war between sects and religions. the same as what they are doing in Syria.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I dont get how people figure brutal punishment is somehow corrective?

Imprisoning people for liking a different color crayon than you do isnt going to make anyone like your color crayon more. If anything it's going to turn a ton of folks away from that color you like so much.

Way to go. Show the world what an asshole you are. That's great.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

We didn't have DHS back then. DHS was created in the wake of 9/11.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

We as a nation have come to the assumption that Muslims are terrorists, and no matter what you say there is no way you can argue that the word Muslim doesn't mean terrorist in probably 90% of all American's minds.

This is how the real agenda behind Illuminati religions works.

1) Create a "religion" that does horrendous atrocities and kills millions.

2) Make it a crime to leave that religion.

3) Blame all these atrocities on God and His "Religion".

This is how religion is used to cause people to HATE God and blame HIM for all the wars and deaths.

This is why Jesus outed the Synagogue of Satan AKA Illuminati so we would KNOW who is really behind it all.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
We didn't have DHS back then. DHS was created in the wake of 9/11.

BINGO...

Another clue that exposes the real agenda.

+37 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandyBragg

That is pretty amazing the way your mind works.
You know many of those in gitmo are POWs that were captured or they have been linked to the events of 9/11. They are not being locked up for simply being muslim.

Its also pretty amazing that you generalize them all as POW's and linked to 9/11. Last I read 9/11 was masterminded by Bin Laden according to the same government that told you all those people are linked to or POW's.

On the note of POW's were you aware that 1. They are not POW's as there was no formal declaration of war, and 2. That even if you want to call it a war by the laws of the Geneva Convention all POW's must be released at the end of conflict which I believe depending on who you listen to ended at least 2yrs ago. According to Bush it ended on the bridge of an aircraft carrier in 2003.

Separately, i am guessing you never saw the stories of people that were just scooped up and arrested for being Muslim. Held without the benefit of a lawyer or a trial??

Source 1

Source 2

Soon after the attacks of September 11, 2001, the United States Government began detaining people who fit the profile of the suspected hijackers: mostly male, Arabic or Muslim noncitizens. By late November 2001, more than 1,200 people had been detained[where?] and held incommunicado (Without the means or right to communicate).

Source 3

<<   2  3  4 >>

join