It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Privacy is History with Obama's 23 Executive Actions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Talk about "Madness"! Your medical history is going to become part of "the federal background check system" by executive order.

Here Are The 23 Executive Actions That Obama Is Taking Immediately To Reduce Gun Violence

Action number 2 will "prevent any barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the federal background check system.”

When a medical clinic submits a bill to Medicaid or another insurance company your diagnosis must be included with that bill. This action will allow states to make your information available to the federal government. The glaring problem with this is that doctors are frequently wrong about their diagnoses and you could be given a serious diagnosis that you don’t in fact have. For instance, Bipolar is a frequently diagnosed condition that is handed out regularly. However, many people diagnosed as Bipolar are not truly Bipolar. Being labeled could result in the loss of your Constitutional Rights.

The Centers for Disease Control is presumably going to determine which diagnoses place a person at risk for gun violence:

Action number 14: “Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.”

Depending on what they decide we may already have a diagnosis that will prevent the purchase of a firearm. Diagnoses that come to mind are Autism, Asperger’s, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Major Depression, Personality Disorders, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, and probably many more.

Your medical personnel are being placed in the position of spying on you and reporting their results, indirectly, to the federal government.

Action number 16: “Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.”

Keep in mind that doctors may ask, and probably will be required by the Center for Medicare Services to ask all patients about guns in the home. The responses will be annotated in their records. They can ask your spouse and your children. Even if you say no when asked your spouse or child may inadvertently mention that there are guns in the house.

Action number 17: “Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.”

This will emphasize to health care providers that the government wants them to break confidentiality liberally and report individuals whom they think may be violent.

Steps to Take Immediately:

1. When going to the doctor and filling out the form asking about sleep, depression, anger ect check “no” on everything.
2. Only tell your medical personnel the minimum of what they need to know to take care of you.
3. Tell your family not to disclose any information about guns in your home.
4. Ask your doctor to tell you what diagnoses he has down for you and ask him to explain what they mean. Write them down and research them. If you don’t agree with the diagnosis ask that it be changed to one that you do agree with or removed.
5. Do not ever flippantly say you are angry at someone and think about hurting them. They may report you.
6. Remember that nothing is confidential anymore and protect yourself and your information.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Sounds like if you feel even slightly dodgy on mental health areas you either need to learn to lie or just not consult with a health care professional and neither of them is going to do you good long term as they'll either give you the wrong meds/care or you'll end up going nuttier than squirrel poo and ending up in a psych ward

But to me who's an expert on what i call 'smelling rodents' its the only way to reduce gun ownership legally without having to take the matter to court and be judged a felon as who fancies having nutters with guns and even the NRA would balk at letting loonies run around with guns

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Travesty.

This will prevent those who are in need of assistance avoid it ( or cold turkey it) due to the intrusion... causing a larger problem than we already have.

On a personal note.. my inbox is completely overflowing with friends and family going off the hook over this. Many of our friends are combat vets like my husband... and this is going to cause a real problem.. kwim. My neice is a physician and has her own very strong opinion on this.. which will cause her personal problems.

Who in the hell has as much hubris to enact something like this?! They cant even define or treat mental illness adequately in this country.. now they will base rights being allowed ( HAHA! ) or removed ( MORE OF A HAHA!) on some hamhanded diagnosis and illegal protocol! .... FFS!

Even those who are anti gun or pro stiffer gun regulation must see the slippery CLIFF this is...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
And whats really sad is that people dealing with every day mental health issues like depression or anxiety will now be afraid to get the help they need, because of the repercussions.

I keep saying it...scary times we live in.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
In short, when visiting the doctor...

Exercise the 5th to protect the 2nd

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
And whats really sad is that people dealing with every day mental health issues like depression or anxiety will now be afraid to get the help they need, because of the repercussions.

Is there anything that suggests they are going to ban guns for people with depression and anxiety? Or are you just assuming?

But really...if someone's been diagnosed with depression, odds are they're going to do one thing with that gun...
I'm not saying I think they shouldn't be allowed to buy them...I'm just saying.

And seriously, how ignorant can you get....saying depression is an "everyday mental health issue." It's a serious disorder.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Total madness to take away guns from people with mental problems.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
And really...if someone's been diagnosed with depression, odds are they're going to do one thing with that gun...

B***S***! I have been battling depression all of my life....and I've never hurt anyone with my collection of firearms(2 shotguns, and a rifle atm...soon to expand).

That is the kind of crap the OP is talking about.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Is there anything to suggest that they are not? Or are you just assuming?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
My fear is that people will think this is "small bore regulatory stuff" as stated in linked article. As you can see it is a major change to our privacy. As long as people know this they can still get care, but maybe not be so trusting.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Is there anything that suggests they are going to ban guns for people with depression and anxiety? Or are you just assuming?

But really...if someone's been diagnosed with depression, odds are they're going to do one thing with that gun...
I'm not saying I think they shouldn't be allowed to buy them...I'm just saying.

And seriously, how ignorant can you get....saying depression is an "everyday mental health issue." It's a serious disorder.

Considering this is in his 23 executive actions TO CONTROL GUN VIOLENCE... Id say it speaks for itself.

Also, please educate yourself on depression...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

Amen brother!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Really?? Most of these shootings happen from people with documented mental health issues. I think it is great! If you are crazy you shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun. We needed an assault rifle ban!

I love how driving is a privilege, but owning a gun is a right!

edit on 1/16/2013 by Djayed because: I stated something incorrect

edit on 1/16/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Um hate to tell you but depression is an everyday mental health issue...it varies to degrees...but you meet and see a lot of people.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
There goes half of the ATS membership that use to be able to buy and own a gun
that can not now... thanks bomma

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JackJack

No where in the orders state you cannot own a gun if you are depressed:

1. "Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system."

2. "Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system."

3. "Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system."

4. "Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks."

5. "Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun."

6. "Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers."

7. "Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign."

8. "Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission)."

9. "Issue a presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations."

10. "Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement."

11. "Nominate an ATF director."

12. "Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations."

13. "Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime."

14. "Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence."

15. "Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies."

16. "Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes."

17. "Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities."

18. "Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers."

19. "Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education."

20. "Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover."

21. "Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges."

22. "Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations."

23. "Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health."

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yes, this reminds me of American horror story Asylum...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

No where in the orders state you cannot own a gun if you are depressed

That, to me, is the big problem here.

With such ambiguity, I am concerned that it will be a very subjective determination. And you can't really provide strict guidelines for decision-making, as there are so many types and levels of mental illness.

Sure, there will be some easy cases to call, but the door could be wide open for abuse.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
But I bet HIPPA laws will get even tougher and patients rights WILL suffer. They have the ability to discuss you with the GOV but you will not be privy to those documents to save the medical institutions, Drs and private practitioners.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Well you are in some other dimension honey, this applies to all Americans in this dimension. When it states mental health evaluations for stricter gun control it means all people who have ever been under care for any reason. Have you noticed from your higher dimension how there has been a huge push for ex military to admit PTSD? Or all of the TV commercials for anxiety and or depression as treatable?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join