It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Algeria: Al-Qaida Seize BP Gas Field, Taking 41 Hostages, Kill Two

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

There are a number of U-28A and M-28A aircraft used by the US SOCCOM in Mali currently. The U-28 wouldn't be very useful in this situation, but the M-28 Skytruck is used to transport US SF teams around. Because of the Skytruck it's speculated that a number of teams are operating in Mali.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It could be possible we may see an international Special Forces hostage rescue attempt but to be honest I think it would be way too complicated.

Does America not also have a base in Italy that is close enough to provide air support and troops if need by though as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

They do, but why fly that far? There is a lot more operating in Africa than just the Skytrucks and the U-28s. A number of Global Hawks, Predators, Reapers, and Spectres are operating from bases in the region. Shortly after Benghazi something on the order of 24 SOCCOM "heavy" aircraft went East, and as far as I know haven't come home yet.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

True but I was thinking more for getting boots on the ground, rather than UAV’s but they must have a role to play as well.

just caught a snippet there on the news at one, apparently the Algerians are saying they are going to deal with this and have told the other states involved to back off however the British PM has offered assistance however this has been refused however apparently the government is making plans. There has been a COBRA meeting today and there will be one tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Just want to get my revenge back on you Otherside... do you know a synonym for the word however?

If not, here you are :

After all, all the same, anyhow, be that as it may, but, despite, for all that, howbeit, in spite of, nonetheless, notwithstanding, on the other hand, per contra, though, withal, without regard to, yet

Yum, that coffee was strong

Kindest respects and see you on my other post

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The Algerian government has confirmed that there is an on-going operation taking part at the facility.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Spectres (AC-130) and Combat Talons (MC-130) were part of that group. So you can get boots on the ground from much closer.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I'm concerned about them saying they came into Algeria from Mali. Why would a terrorist give away their escape route or expose security flaws unless this was a cover to convince people it's al cia da.

Also, an annonymous attacker tells someone over the phone they are al qaeda? Lax security at an oil field in a dangerous part of the world. Lots to question with this story.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

According to the Algerian Oil Minister, they didn't come from Mali, they are Algerian.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Lord Jules

According to the Algerian Oil Minister, they didn't come from Mali, they are Algerian.

Makes sense

There are still some Berbers in Algeria, tens of thousands of them if I recall correctly. However, I don't actually think it's Algerian Berbers who are helping but rather Arabs..from Saudi Arabia

b

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is a big story right now... why does this thread only have 8 flags

edit on 17-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
This is a big story right now... why does this thread only have 8 flags

edit on 17-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

I flagged and posted first page!

I do wonder though how quickly the headlines changed from 'Gun Control' and 'massacres' in the USA to Hostages in Algeria!!

Funny how the focus switches so quickly.... somethings telling me that the Focus needed to come off Obama , massacres and gun control to something else....

Maybe i read too much stuff on ATS!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

Jan 17 (Reuters) - Algeria's government spokesman confirmed some hostages were killed in a continuing military operation at a desert gas plant on Thursday but said troops had been forced to act to free them after talks with their captors failed.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Apparently they tried to free the hostages by BOMBING the freaking installation...

34 hostages dead
16 criminals dead.

Way to go Algeria!
geez...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Actually, the kidnappers were moving them out in a convoy, and they attacked the convoy with helicopters. But don't jump the gun, if you look at the numbers, there is much oddness going on. Originally they said 41 hostages. Then they said a number of Algerian workers families escaped, along with 15 foreign workers. Then another 20 workers escaped, apparently including 2 American workers. Now they're saying 34 workers were killed along with the hostages. So something is really rotten here.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Prime Minister Cameron is preparing the UK for bad news.....Looks like the 'rescue' didn't go well.

Should have waited on the boys from Hereford.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A link to the above story....

David Cameron has postponed a long-awaited speech on Europe due to the hostage crisis in Algeria, saying the country should prepare "for bad news"

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by squarehead666

They were offered US and UK assistance and declined it. They chose to go it alone, and screwed it up miserably.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Whitehall sources tell BBC they are preparing for news of multiple British casualties in Algeria - via @bbcnickrobinson t.co...

4 mins agofrom twitter.com by feed

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I was told the raid is over now, and there are reports on france 24 tv the raid will soon be over, but I have first hand knowledge its already over, so I'm betting the Algerian gov is just trying to figure out what they are going to say next which has been next to nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join