It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Algeria: Al-Qaida Seize BP Gas Field, Taking 41 Hostages, Kill Two

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Algeria: Al-Qaida Seize BP Gas Field, Taking 41 Hostages, Kill Two

www.ibtimes.co.uk

BP confirmed that the site had been attacked and occupied by a group of unidentified armed people. As many as 41 BP workers and sub-contractors including seven Americans, plus Japanese, Irish and French staff, were believed to have been taken hostage by the occupiers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The conflict in Mila widens it seems. I wonder how long it will be before the rest of the world goes in to help the French deal with this growing situation.
"One of the supposed attackers told AFP by telephone that they were AL-Qaeda loyalists who had slipped into Algeria from northern Mali. "
Apparently security at the plant was fairly lax, surprising for this part of the world

www.ibtimes.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PLAYERONE01

They're already going to help the French.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The British, US, six or seven African countries around Mali, Canada, as well as several others have promised everything from intel support, to logistical support, to actual boots on the ground.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

No doubt. Need to invade another nation and build a military base because the World has lost confidence in the US dollar? No problem.

Cue Al-CIAeda.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
13 norwegians involved, Some got away, some are among the hostages :

Google Translate

link   
double post
edit on 16/1/13 by Jericho-X because: (no reason given)

link   

Cue the 3$ more per barrel.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Can't say I feel sorry for BP. Sucks to be the hostages, and dead guys, I can't see why people would choose to work for BP though..... Seems like taking money from a demon hell bent on destroying the earth to me.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I can see that Gas Field getting blown up by these islamists themselves as they wont want to try fighting those coming at them from the outside and they will just shout out 'allah akba' before doing it!!

Either that or an agreement will be made.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Please look at the following link i started a while ago :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Warmest regards

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Actually, this one is all France. They're currently the only ones with any kind of large force involved. There are some small US SF teams in the area, but it's believed their mission is only intel gathering. The US involvement is currently going to be limited to intel sharing, which they're already doing, tanker support for the French fighters, and airlift support, along with the UK, Canada, Netherlands, and others.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
So the French are going it alone.....Guess we'd better start forming up a rescue force now.

Dien Bien Phu anyone?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
AL-Qaeda is hiding under my bed. They line the woods on my way to work. I can't see them but I know they are just waiting there. Last I heard from Intel was that even the boogey man was now AL-Qaeda. Nobody is just mad, it's all AL-Qaeda. They were at my gas station last night. I know this because those sneaky bastards upped the price of gas 20 cents over night.

AL-Qaeda has 1,000 eyes and are reported to be working with Eurasians also. That is all. Stay tuned for the 2 minutes of hate.

edit on 16-1-2013 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well they succeeded. They brought attention to their cause, up until today I had no idea that Berbers were still extant, and the largest population was living in Mali.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Isnt strange how Al Qaueda keeps showing up in areas where there is some kind of valuable natural resource?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Your comment makes no sense. You must be showing your high power intelligence!

Anyway-back on topic----The situation sucks but the hostages just escaped.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
This has the makings of becoming one of the most spectacular hostage situations since the siege at the Iranian Embassy in London.

So far we know that the hostage takers are most likely form Al-Qa’ida in The Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) or form a group calling itself Khaled Abu al-Abbas Brigade which is an off-shot of AQIM created by one of its former commanders after a fall out with AQIM leadership, Mokhtar Belmokhtar. Regardless, these hostage takers are committed and have a radical Islamic ideology.

As far as I know no clear demands have yet been made public by the hostage takers but they have provided the Algerians with a list of demands but have said they will not negotiate. The truth I think is that they will negotiate as in they will enter dialogue with the hostage takers however they won’t have anything to negotiate with. Most likely the hostage takers are going to demand the withdrawal of French and other western forces form Mali and the rest of the continent.

So far we know that at least one British national has been killed since the start of this along with one Algerian. There are also some conflicting reports as well just now that between 15 and 30 hostages have managed to escape. In addition to this the Algerian army has surrounded the facility however no solution appears to be in sight.

I would say it is likely that this is going to end in the use of force, I do not think these militants will back down they can use this situation as a massive propaganda coup and they are prepared to die anyway. So the question then I what can be done, based on the ideology of these hostage takers I would have to say that they will not surrender.

I think there will be a Special Forces hostage rescue operation to free the remaining hostages but the question is who would conduct such an operation. The Algerian special forces the “Special intervention group” I do not believe have the ability to safely conduct this operation. Therefore I believe it is likely that states such as France, Brittan and America will be pressing the Algerians for a foreign force to deal with the crisis. I know that some will jump to assume that Frances GIGN will take up this role however I think hat is unlikely, they have just failed at rescuing one of their own in Somalia, they are currently engaged in Mali and there is also a significant terrorist threat facing the French homeland just now. That realistically leaves the British and the Americans, again American Special Forces are engaged inside Mali as well in addition to this are still active in a number of combat zones. I would personally believe that this is going to fall on the lap of British Special Forces, a British national has already been killed, the FCO is being very vocal about this situation and there are reports that British Special Forces are already on standby to head up a rescue. Therefore I would have to say that in the coming days we may very well see a British Operation to extract these hostages with some French assistance.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sloppypeter

Your comment makes no sense. You must be showing your high power intelligence!

Anyway-back on topic----The situation sucks but the hostages just escaped.

you are wrong! Not all have escaped!

From Skynews:

Gunmen in a stand-off with Algerian forces at a gas compound have reportedly come under attack from helicopters - amid reports that up to 20 foreigners have now escaped.

Thirty Algerian workers have also fled from Islamist attackers, according to reports.

So, there.... you see.... there are still some being held captive but I cant see this lasting very long.... either they will blow that compound up or those copters will shoot them (and hopefully avoid blowing the compound up) or ground forces will take them out.... only thing here, is they will need to be careful not to shoot any of the hostages!!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join