It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cycle of Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It worries me to see how accurate someone was during our own struggles of colonists to form their own country to get away from a King who didn't care about the people's rights. With laws that have been written since 9-11, and the dependency on Government of about 1/3 of the populace, it looks like Alexander Tyler's cycle will once again become correct. I love America, and think it has so much potential, but the populace is becoming too dependent, morally bankrupt, and non-productive. It almost seems that the politicians have designed this to happen, and I'm sure they have their reasons, but why, is the big question I ask myself. Here is his cycle, and we are following it down to the letter.

Cycle of Democracy
Alexander Tyler
(in his 1770 book, Cycle of Democracy)

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising them the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over a louse fiscal responsibility, always followed by a dictatorship. The average of the world's great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence:"
• From bondage to spiritual faith;
• from spiritual faith to great courage;
• from courage to liberty;
• from liberty to abundance;
• from abundance to selfishness;
• from selfishness to complacency;
• from complacency to apathy;
• from apathy to dependency;
• from dependency back again to bondage.

Looks like the next step is back into bondage!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HappyLIBERTARIAN

Even though we are a republic, we are on the same course as his cycle of democracy. My daughter actually came home the other day and said her social studies teacher told her we have a democracy. I told her to have her teacher say the pledge of allegiance, and after he was done reciting it, what does it say after "and to the............. for which it stands". It's sad that they don't teach more about the constitution and the federalist papers in schools.
edit on 16-1-2013 by HappyLIBERTARIAN because: Added punctuation to make it easier to read.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappyLIBERTARIAN
It's sad that they don't teach more about the constitution and the federalist papers in schools.

This is absolutely on purpose. I live in Concord Massachusetts, the home of the American Revolution, and we weren't taught ANYTHING about it. But we did celebrate May Day. Go figure, right?

Here's a visual.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It is done on purpose. They don't want the population to know that the framers considered almost everything that comes to pass in Government. They were very educated, and debated about tons of problems that they knew we would run in to as an emerging country. I always hear people say we need God in the schools, but I have to disagree since their are so many different religions in the country. What should be taught is the constitution and federalist papers.

top topics

join