It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF in Algeria (41 Hostages)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TauCetixeta

A very bad message by the details are still a little bit sparse so who knows but it happened.

It could be that they had to make a move and initiative their immediate action plan in either case we do know that the Algerians have told everyone to back off, Britain offered the assistance of SAS which was refused. What is interesting although is that SAS have been on standby since the start of this and a British “diplomatic team” has arrived in Algeria.

So who knows perhaps the Algerians have learned their lesson and now that they have freed many of their people they are going to let a more capable unit take control and free the remaining hostages.

I wouldn’t be that surprised if there were a couple of guys for E-Squadron or SRR sitting up on a hill watching the whole thing right now and reporting back to a planning group.
edit on 18-1-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Well, I am confused.

According to this story, there were HUNDREDS of hostages?
www.cnn.com...

Or did I miss something?
edit on 18-1-2013 by chiefsmom because: sp

There were hundreds of hostages, apparently 650 have been freed, 100 of which were foreigners, somewhere around 12 hostages killed, 18 islamists killed, and several still held captive and being used as bargaining chips. Thats the latest on france 24 tv. www.france24.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
They want the blind Cleric released.

USA says NO.

Expect beheading videos on Islamic news outlets soon?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CottonwoodStormy

Thanks for the info.
I was just confused that original reports where like 41 people, then all of a sudden its 650. Just thought it was odd that they weren't reporting hundreds of people in the beginning, at least here in the US. How did we not know there where that many people there? (US, not other countries)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thanks for the info.
I was just confused that original reports where like 41 people, then all of a sudden its 650. Just thought it was odd that they weren't reporting hundreds of people in the beginning, at least here in the US. How did we not know there where that many people there? (US, not other countries)

Is there ANYBODY that will give us the simple truth?
How many hostages were taken?
How many were killed?

Maybe every news organization will wait until after the Obama inauguration?

The France link info looks bad.
Witnesses say the convoy was bombed by the Algerians?
What kind of strategy is that? Lets just blow everybody up?!

This is nuts!
edit on 18-1-2013 by TauCetixeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by kanbanozaurus

To understand a bit why Algeria special forces stormed the facility in this manner, it's interesting to remember that their Army was trained from the 60s to the 80s by the Soviet Union. So it could explain their way of dealing with terrorist militants so far. Take care

Cool story dude, but totally wrong.

I do love it when member of ATS do this, speak as if they know what they’re talking about without even bother to check what they have to say is correct. Sorry to sound harsh but it is true none of that statement is correct.

Let me tell you why…

The “Special Interventions Group” (GIS), Algeria’s prime Special Forces unit was created in 1987 when the Soviet Union was winding down. Most of their training has been done by the French, the former colonial ruler of Algeria. Now since their creation yes they have been trained by Spetnaz most of their training is French.

The reason they tried to rescue these hostages was to safe face, it looks bad domestically if they have to get the SAS or GIGN to help out, sends a message of weakness.

No problem, I always appreciate to learn new things especially when I am wrong, i m here for that after all. Seems I was a bit quick making a link between that event and my understanding of the Algerian Army history. My mistake.

Still, as you mentionned they had some trainings from the Spetsnaz though. Not as much as I previously thought, but I was guessing that they still use some of their technics.

Agree on the fact they couldnt call France Special services for help. It s not their policy as you may remembered they denied their intervention on the algerian soil during the 1995 Air France hijacking.

Take care

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Hi Chief,

At the very beginning of News flashes over here in Europe it started off as 41 hostages...

But as you can no doubt gather this has gone on to more and more...

Figures are still not correct yet as BFM news over here in france say that 30 hostages are still not accounted for and still much uncertainty as to news coming from the Algerian official sources

Rumours are, that during the general helicopter bombing raid that took place yesterday (17/01/13) on escaping terrorist vehicules, hostages were also taken by escaping terrorists. Other rumours say that there are still terrorists in the plant... so all to be taken with a pinch of salt for the moment methinks?

First images are starting to come across on French tv but by little drips and drops so for the moment nothing to really write home about until probablly tomorrow (Saturday "French time").

Take care all

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I can understand your fears and concern, and how effective terrorist propaganda can be intimidationg to the many. It doesnt matter if the insignificant me is right or wrong, but truths will always prevail.

We humanity are flawed, and thus proned to errors, but still DO have the capacity to acknowledge them, correct them and progress from it, espacially in democracies where freedom to speak up is truly free, as one may think himself right, but it is only upon the many, of all views, that wise decisive actions can be diserned and acted upon,

Sleeper cells are not something new in the civilisational history of mankind, and there are ways to deal with them, more so this generation after WW2. We will not target or discriminate against the many based upon suppositions, but only true observations over long periods, to confirm the cell or cell groups identity and motives.

Easier far more in today's high tech survelliance techniques.

However, not all will be caught, for as the saying goes - we do not fear the million, just the one in a million, - one that may escape through negligence on the part of the operators.

But, that one or the few, as they will be in the few and not of any significant military strength that can avoid detection, can only do so much damage. They may think they had succeeded with an installation's gate blown up, or tens murdered, as the pyschological effect will be true.

But equally, the pyschological effect will be true that it will only drive more of us to dig our feet deeper, to compromise no more to their threats, but to actively seek them out and exterminate them whereever they think they can hide, as long as it takes, for it is either them or us whom will have to die. Better them than us or our loved ones.

There are more of us than them.

No one would like to be a terrorist target. But if myself or another is captured, we know death is the only way out. We have no death wish, but if it is our turn to die, in the hands of the terrorists, so be it and let it be quick.

There will be no pleading of mercy to the terrorists, for they are not known for mercy, or they would not have been terrorist. Our only request is that our sacrifice be not in vain, that once the grieving is over, the killers be hunted down, taken out and exterminated, not as vengence for us, but only that they may never be able to ever hurt or harm another precious innocent human life.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Thanks for the info.

Your right, they didn't originally report it, then it became known that a French catering company also had 150 employees mainly Algerian at the site, and thennnnn, just yesterday they announced the whopping 600 figure to include the full staff of the facility. It wasn't immmediately reported, thats why.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
reply to post by Rodinus

I can understand your fears and concern, and how effective terrorist propaganda can be intimidationg to the many. It doesnt matter if the insignificant me is right or wrong, but truths will always prevail.

We humanity are flawed, and thus proned to errors, but still DO have the capacity to acknowledge them, correct them and progress from it, espacially in democracies where freedom to speak up is truly free, as one may think himself right, but it is only upon the many, of all views, that wise decisive actions can be diserned and acted upon,

Sleeper cells are not something new in the civilisational history of mankind, and there are ways to deal with them, more so this generation after WW2. We will not target or discriminate against the many based upon suppositions, but only true observations over long periods, to confirm the cell or cell groups identity and motives.

Easier far more in today's high tech survelliance techniques.

However, not all will be caught, for as the saying goes - we do not fear the million, just the one in a million, - one that may escape through negligence on the part of the operators.

But, that one or the few, as they will be in the few and not of any significant military strength that can avoid detection, can only do so much damage. They may think they had succeeded with an installation's gate blown up, or tens murdered, as the pyschological effect will be true.

But equally, the pyschological effect will be true that it will only drive more of us to dig our feet deeper, to compromise no more to their threats, but to actively seek them out and exterminate them whereever they think they can hide, as long as it takes, for it is either them or us whom will have to die. Better them than us or our loved ones.

There are more of us than them.

No one would like to be a terrorist target. But if myself or another is captured, we know death is the only way out. We have no death wish, but if it is our turn to die, in the hands of the terrorists, so be it and let it be quick.

There will be no pleading of mercy to the terrorists, for they are not known for mercy, or they would not have been terrorist. Our only request is that our sacrifice be not in vain, that once the grieving is over, the killers be hunted down, taken out and exterminated, not as vengence for us, but only that they may never be able to ever hurt or harm another precious innocent human life.

First off your not insignificant, and its very nice to read what you wrote so eloquently, glad you care. I agree with your thoughts, now its turning thoughts into action for all of us, Algerian, French, British, Americans, all of us and not pursue a path of fear but to confront these issues head on and eradicate them. I think personally Prime Minister Cameron is being a bit harsh as to why he wasn't informed of the rescue bid. There are other reports the Algerian president had called 4 times, and that he told them the operation was underway when hostages where under a direct threat. Algeria has to be tough here, they are surrounded by toppled governments and a very real threat that they are tired from fighting with for over 20 years. The next year is going to be intense here.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
US officials say one American has died in the hostage standoff. It is a Texas resident.
His family was officially informed.

Later this evening, french government released the name of a French citizen officially killed at the facility.

Take care
edit on 18-1-2013 by kanbanozaurus because: add details

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I also just heard on france 24 tv that a Canadian was among the Islamic militants who seized the oil site, so it seems the militants were an international group, I Canadian, 1 French, 3 Egyptians, 2 Tunisians, 2 Algerians, 1 Mali, and others from Libya.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Have these militants been captured alive or killed?
I am wondering how do they know their nationality yet? Just wondering.

Take care

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kanbanozaurus

Have these militants been captured alive or killed?
I am wondering how do they know their nationality yet? Just wondering.

Take care

I think some are alive and some are dead as it it still ongoing, they stated earlier 18 militants killed, and more still holding 3 Belgians, 2 Americans, One Japanese and 1 Brit, they've also just said one American killed on France 24 tv. May peace be upon their families.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hi all,

Latest update from BFM news is that at this moment shooting has started again between the hostage takers and the army, there are talks of the Army attempting to try and storm the campus again.

Seeker, thanks for your pertinent comments which i think that most of us feel.

Urrghhh need my coffee as i have just woken up

Catch you all later

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Frnce 24 tv reports, the remaining 7 hostages were killed by the terrorists and the militants are dead as well. The hostage crisis appears to be over and the Algerian government is removing explosives from around the site atm. Very very sad.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CottonwoodStormy
Frnce 24 tv reports, the remaining 7 hostages were killed by the terrorists and the militants are dead as well. The hostage crisis appears to be over and the Algerian government is removing explosives from around the site atm. Very very sad.

Family members are being informed right now.
There will be a press conference after that is completed.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I hope this never happens again, though I fear more to come. It just goes to show how much these terrorists really have no regard for life, even their own.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
News are beginning to filter out to mainstream media that a 'final' assualt by the Algerian special forces started a few hours ago. The militants threatened to blow up the gas facility and kill all the hostages. Seems their demands were not met, which resulted in 11 of them dead but managed to kill 7 innocent humans first when the troops moved in.

Still sketchy details, but more will be known later. Very much condolences to the victims families. Even though their deaths were senseless, but it will not be in vain as their sheer terror, horror and ultimate demise will NOT frighten the rest of us, BUT galvanise us with greater awareness on terrorism and further resolute actions necessary to end it all.

The scourge of these militants and more critically their masters, whom spared no humans - white, black, christians, jews, muslims, buddhists, etc - will be served with justice, one way or another, and soon.

Let us all be finally awakened to such evil, and never support them. They may try to hide, while they do not value other's life, they most certainly value theirs, to live in order to enjoy their self interest gains.

It is not easy to hide out in the sahara desert regions, hold administrative and training posts there. There is no water or food there to sustain long term living. They need to travel vast desolate distances using both petrol and vehicles such as buses, SUVs and trucks. These will be their weaknesses, for it all can be investigated, tracked and monitored, even if they were to plan the next attack.

Hiding amongst civilian population will be worse, for their power lusting kind is no longer supported by the vast majority, including true muslims whom only wish to follow prophet Muhammad's true teachings, to live in peace and love, for to support their false interpretations and apostasies, muslims and their loved ones will have to be prepared to be collateral damage for their unholy causes while they flee away. Thus they can be easily identified and fingered

They can run, but they will never be able to hide safely. Their signed death certificates await......for none of them will be spared unless they give up now.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
News are beginning to filter out to mainstream media that a 'final' assualt by the Algerian special forces started a few hours ago. The militants threatened to blow up the gas facility and kill all the hostages. Seems their demands were not met, which resulted in 11 of them dead but managed to kill 7 innocent humans first when the troops moved in.

These "militants" are terrorists affiliated with larger radical Islamic groups in Yemen, and part of the smaller affiliates in Libya. They are now all likely considered "glorious martyrs" who's deaths will be avenged. There is likely to be a flood of these "militants" into Algeria now from Libya, some could be well armed with U.S. made covertly supplied weapons left over from the Libyan conflict. Also some European cells will likely be activated and may launch terrorist attacks in Europe.

It isn't over, it's just the beginning.

edit on 19-1-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join