It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF in Algeria (41 Hostages)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Local source reports that some hostages still being held at gas plant after many killed in military strike.
Hard to keep saying for the algerian FM that there is no assault taking place...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kanbanozaurus

Apparently this operation is actually happening and has been confirmed by sources in London

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yah I would say the reports are legit, thing is though, I really believe the Algerian government in this case has not had much choice but to act strong in this situation because if they negotiate in any way, these kidnappings will continue, and this sickening behavior has to stop. If these terrorists are defeated then maybe then Algeria could become a tourist destination cause it does have alot to offer along coasts of beautiful sea, gorgeous fabrics and amazing cous cous, wild monkeys, natural hot springs, and fresh mountain water. So again I don't see much choice the Algerian government had cause its been an ongoing problem that Algeria alone must deal with though I was hoping for the best in this situation.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CottonwoodStormy

Agree, things look pretty tough, and they had to deal with this problem.. I am wondering if the algerian are acting by themself, or if they asked help from allies special forces?

Take care

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Algeria is definately a beautiful place with wonderful locals too... i have quite a few Algerian friends over here in France.

Hmmm yum yum, Couscous and lamb tadjine!

Dribbly respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I heard that japaneses were held hostages, do somebody ever heard how japanese government usually deals with that situation? Just wondering

Take care

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Yah I make cous cous and quesra (the local flatbread here by hand) and have a big chunk of lamb in the freezer, i would invite you and your wife to visit if it was safer, lol. Yah there has been too many previous kidnappings to even count now, again I am lucky I live near a place called Collo, which is a small town nestled on the sea, known for its olive oil and very peaceful. It sucks how a few have ruined the reputation of this country though I have faith the few will be defeated Enshallah (God willing).

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kanbanozaurus
I heard that japaneses were held hostages, do somebody ever heard how japanese government usually deals with that situation? Just wondering

Take care

I am sure the japanese and all other govs are in close consultation advising and recommending tactics, I am sure the air raid was given a go ahead but collaborating gov's but after all Algeria is a sovereign nation and has the full responsibility of this situation.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Qaeda-linked kidnapper in Algeria says 7 hostages, including two Americans, still alive after army attack - Mauritania's ANI news agency

Qaeda-linked kidnapper in Algeria says 2 US, 3 Belgians, 1 Japanese and 1 Briton still alive after army attack - ANI

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Ill take you up on that when things get quieter Cotton!

Is it not Inch allah (In šāʾ Allāh)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well, things are becoming more and more confusing!

An Algerian security source told Reuters that 25 foreign hostages, including U.S. and Japanese nationals, have escaped. An employee at the facility told CBS News that 26 Algerians and four foreigners, including one American, have escaped. An official Algerian Press Service reports that 30 Algerian workers — out of a reported 150 — have escaped. A local source told Reuters that 180 Algerians escaped.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
En sha allah same thing. Now France 24 tv is reporting there is conflicting reports about the dead and there may be far fewer but so far no official statement from Algeria.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It sounds like things are chaotic right now.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I canno't imagine the scene, air bombing over a gas facility with a lot of hostages fearing for their life... what a terrific scene.

Take care

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

BFM are saying that the official Algerian agency APS has stated that the Army have freed 4 hostages! Out of the 41 foreigners that were taken... 7 hostages still alive!

Still not very clear to EXACTLY how many people really were/are in this compound.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

APS reports that two britons, one french and a kenyan among the freed hostages.

Still a confused situation on going

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This post edited as same as the info in post above
edit on 17-1-2013 by Rodinus because: Already posted

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Now they are saying that 600 Algerian hostages have been freed!!!

Source APS

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

OH MY GOD, 600? Thats insane. No wonder they were keeping information under wraps with so many people being held, seriously this is horrible.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Apparently the main target has been the foreigners though Algerians are obviously being held as well. The thing is the workers at these oil fields all come from all over Algeria to work there because they make more money, I was just realizing how many people this could possibly be affecting from even my town. Almost everyone travels bi monthly to work out there and they are going to be pissed about this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join