It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London's Underground Tunnels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I was listening to a radio 4 broadcast yesterday 'The Life Scientific' in which Professor Robert Mair (Professor of Geotechnical Engineering at Cambridge University) was discussing his experience of engineering. It was an interesting piece in which he described a number of projects he worked on including the Jubilee Line extension and the more recent and ongoing Cross-Rail project. I think it's limited to those living in the UK, but if you are, here's the link to the broadcast:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Towards the end of the programme, 16:45 onwards, he starts to talk about classified tunnels for use by persons unknown. This was an eye opener to me as although I had heard rumours, I have never heard this confirmed in the media and particularly not by someone of Mair's standning. What was more bizarre is that this topic cropped up out of nowhere, one minute they are talking about the subsidence of Big Ben, the next BANG - interesting disclosure.

Having listened to this yesterday I have done a little research on the Internet today and it seems there is some documented evidence of existing tunnels which exist outside of the London Underground tube network:

Military Citadels Under London - en.wikipedia.org...

I have heard rumours of a separate underground rail network for use of the Monarchy and Government in the event of crisis, nuclear war etc. There is some detail here although the website is named 'Fictional Cities' - www.fictionalcities.co.uk...

I also found this paragraph from this site, www.scoutlondon.com...

DEFENCE AND SECURITY

It shouldn't come as much surprise to hear that there is a network of not-so-secret government tunnels running beneath the seats of power in Whitehall. Often referred to as Q Whitehall, much of the network dates from the days of The Blitz, when it was constructed to provide bomb-proof lines of communication, and to allow government staff to move safely between buildings during air raids.

The exact routes are not publicly known, but documents published shortly after the war showed the tunnels stretching from south of Downing Street to Trafalgar Square and many of the major ministries. It’s likely that they connect to the Defence Crisis Management Centre (Pindar), the nuclear-proof bunker built beneath the Ministry of Defence in the 1980s and 90s which will be used during a time of military threat.

Andrew Smith from Subterranean Britannica tells Scout that the system “links the Admiralty, 10 Downing Street, the QE2 Conference Centre and other places such as the Defence Crisis Management Centre and even Westminster Tube station”.

It’s unlikely you’ll ever get to see the network itself, but you can visit the Churchill War Rooms – a nearby bunker from where Churchill and his military leaders conducted the second world war, and is now an absorbing museum.

To cut to the chase, I was wondering what other information fellow ATS users may have on this and whether anyone has any granular detail on what is down there, who owns it and what it is used for? Has anybody had any first hand experiences or seen any official documentation on these 'secret tunnels'?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The new Dr. Who series has actually brought up the London underground tunnels 3 separate times now...made me very curious
I mean, I know the show is fiction, but the basis for the episodes are rooted in myth, legend or real world things...makes ya wonder what else is true in that show

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Gltichy

I was unaware of the Dr Who references. As the kids have the lot on sky+ I will check that out, interesting!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I live just outside London and love all the stories of subterranean London. I always look out for tunnels or unused underground stations when I'm on the underground.

Yeah, I think the network is nicknamed Q-Whitehall, which is now partly privately owned, as it was sold by BT a few years ago, who was the previous owner. I think it was in this forum that a guy talks about accidentally getting sidetracked down Q-Whitehall, and then walking in a section to be greeted by Armed Police who "advised" him to go back.

This is also a great website for underground London Subterranea Britannica
edit on 16-1-2013 by nostromo85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

For more detailed information take a look at www.subbrit.org.uk... where you'll see accurate information about anything man made or man used underground in the UK along with other cold war relics.

Subterranea Britannica is a group which documents such items.

There is common folklore that there are secret tunnels for the PM and Queen, linking the underground with fast moving trains, or a cache of steam trains mothballed for use in an emergency (strategic reserve). I can confirm that these are pure works of fiction. In any major emergency they would be taken from central London by helicopter and flown to RAF Northolt for forward air transport to whatever designated destination.

There are some small diameter tunnels linking some buildings under Whitehall detailed in Peter Laurie's book (Under City Streets???) and Duncan Campbells book "War Plan UK".

edit on 16-1-2013 by radioboffin because: spelling!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Thank you 001, for bringing this to my attention. Its funny that the threads which are based on speculation get so much Flags, but when one brings actaul substance to the table, disclosed by a person who is in the know, nobody listens

I'm at work at the moment, but will be listening to the interveiw when I get home. Maybe we could try find a transcript of the interveiw for the people who have a low attention span but claim to deny ignorance

Thanks

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
There must be tunnels leading out of Parliament, Buck House, Downing Street, prob MI6 etc. If for no other reason than to get them out if there was an incident at these locations, this would surely just be common sense.

I would doubt that they cover a major distance, just far enough to get them out of immediate danger.

On the subject of the strategic steam reserve. It is probablly 99.9% myth. partly because all the locos had been accounted for. However, a couple of years ago it was found that syeam loco disposal records from the 1960s which had been collected and compiled by railway enthusiasts at the time and had been used in most literature since was not entirly accurate, in fact, thousands of reports had been made up. There have been articles about this in The Railway Magazine. So whilst I think the strategic reserve story is rubbish, there are a number of railway historians trying to figure out what actually happened to every single loco.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Interesting topic.

As for the 'secret' network, I think it's mainly for simply moving things around London quickly. I'm not sure it's used regularly to transport people, but I'm quite sure equipment and the like is moved around. I'd imagine there's countless ways around the city for emergency use too.

There's also a lot of 'dead stations' on the regular underground too which I'd love to look into in more detail at some point. These are simply stops that fell out of use though, rather than anything secret. I think you can even tour a couple of them at certain times of the year.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

there's loads in wales,the one i saw was in usk-s.wales runs from a bae site to military base in chepsow,there is 'supposed' to be a main complex on the bae site but even most of the storage areas i was allowed in, were underground,it's a great site to go around above ground it's just loads of grass mounds and a few office buildings,they got rid of the armed guards when bae took over.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Thanks Noob and agreed on the S&F. It's neve rbeen about that for me though, I just enjoy reading (some) of the content on here. Have a listen, even without the tunnel element, it's an interesting 1/2 hour.

Enjoy

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingIcarus
Interesting topic.

As for the 'secret' network, I think it's mainly for simply moving things around London quickly. I'm not sure it's used regularly to transport people, but I'm quite sure equipment and the like is moved around. I'd imagine there's countless ways around the city for emergency use too.

There's also a lot of 'dead stations' on the regular underground too which I'd love to look into in more detail at some point. These are simply stops that fell out of use though, rather than anything secret. I think you can even tour a couple of them at certain times of the year.

You should have no doubt that at least part of this long network of tunnels is indeed used for top secret operations...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I thought I would add these 'mysetrious' tunnels into the mix as well in Liverpool:

www.bbc.co.uk...

Volunteers in Liverpool are giving up their free time to clear out a mysterious labyrinth of tunnels that lurk beneath the city's Edge Hill area.

The Friends of the Williamson Tunnels are removing the results of decades of Victorian "fly-tipping", hoping one day to expose tunnels which they believe could stretch for miles.

The tunnels were built and conceived in the early 19th century by eccentric businessman Joseph Williamson, who paid soldiers returning from the Napoleonic war to build them. No records were kept of how far they stretch, nor which direction they go in.

After Williamson's death in 1840, the tunnels fell into disrepair. The site currently being cleared was filled with over 100 years' worth of ash and debris from a local bakery.

BBC News was given a tour by volunteers who explained why they are so intrigued by Williamson's weird and wonderful world.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Mm I just love reading about these sort of things. I only live about 40 odd miles from central London I use the tube on odd occassions when visiting the mrs at her uni I'm always looking out for secret bits

The gfs dad actually works on the London Underground and has said to me if I give him a CV I may be able to get a job working on the underground. This sounds interesting as I could then start learning about the secret tunnels etc

Also my gf said her dad has a particular key he keeps which she said he can't tell her what it is or what it does. Maybe it's a key to get into certain areas or to activate a different train line .. I don't know

I've always wanted to go roaming around seeing if I can find secret entrances

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There was rumours years ago that there was to be an underground being built at St Georges hospital, Tooting. There always seems to something going on there. Makes you wonder what the hell is going on. Technically St Georges should have been competed years ago. Used to see the aliens in the old building, now they are in Atkinson Morley.
I didn't know they were aliens then ... Suffice to say, it is a strange place. I think there is as much underneath it as there is on the top, if you know what I mean?

top topics

join