It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please can any NYC residents help me out? (touristy stuff xP)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Ok let me start by saying you are all going to advise AGAINST me doing this and im not even sure that I will yet. But its something I would absolutely LOVE to do so im just trying to dig up info about it.

Im coming over to NYC from europe and I want to DRIVE when I get there

I dont mean like around manhatten or anything, but a couple of scenic drives outside of manhatten like going to bear mountain, maybe take a drive through the hamptons and I want to do it in an escalade
This probably will seem so mundane to you all, but I love america, I love escalades and I like driving lol.

Im going for a week so what I was planning to do was spend most time doing the touristy stuff, then rent a car for 2 days towards the end of my stay and spend a few hours on a scenic road trip. I was hoping there will be a parking garage (I know they are stupid expensive) to leave the car in over night kind of on the outskirts of most of the chaos that has reasonable access to east and west side roads to exit manhattan. Again I am NOT planning on driving inside manhattan.

So if anyone has any advice for me... please I need it!

Advice on where to park for easy (as possible) exiting of manhatten

Any advice on best location for parking garage

And advice on any good drives in that area people can think of (not 3 day trips, maybe like 4/5/6 hour things)

Thanks

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Walk fast or they'll run you over.

Sidewalk and on the road.

And make sure to use the rental and not your own car.

They'll strip it in seconds.

Have fun on your vacation.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
whaa??

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
When I went to NYC people drove like they walked. Extremely fast, and if you're in their way, they'll knock you over and run you down.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Surely its a bit less frantic outside of 'the island'?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

I didn't go to the Island, but if you plan to visit NYC while your there, be on the lookout (at all times). It's insane and the people are insane.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I'm know Manhattan pretty well. While you're doing the tourist thing in "The City", I would NOT drive. I wouldn't get a rental car until the day you decide to go on a trip. So many, many things to see/experience in that area. As for where to go - it depends on what your interests are.

As for cheap parking in Manhattan, there is no such thing. Sorry about that.

Generally people who live/work in the city - they usually never drive. Everyone relies on public transportation. I would say study subway maps before you go & take the subway or get a cab.

Oh and as far as a rental car, get the $$$ insurance. Like someone said earlier, criminals can find a locked car with an alarm & strip it in under two minutes. without the insurance, you'll be footing the bill.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My cousin had to go the NYC courthouse, she used her own car, and after she got done and came out, she only saw the frame of her car left.
I felt so bad for her. So much for her beamer.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Oh and far as cabbies go - they have gotten more crooked than they ever were. I was in Manhattan a couple months ago and I had an issue with cabbies that I really didn't have before.

Make sure you know the address of where you're going even if it's a landmark.

I had two cabbies act like they had no idea of where I was asking them to go.

I basically got the exact addresses told them to go the quickest route and when I got out of the cab - skipped the tip & told them I wasn't a tourist and don't appreciate trying to be taken.

They knew they were busted.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
1st off
if your coming from Europe
I would say your arriving at JFK or EWR
both Airports are not located in Manhattan ...

also keep in mind NYC consists of 5 Burroughs
Manhattan is just 1 of them, driving in the others can be
just as daunting.

driving an Escalade around Manhattan
would be a pain and the arse...
your gonna get raped on the Parking

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
For long island route 25a which is actually the old northern blvd before they cut it straight thru long island
The old route goes thru a lot of old towns and also hits most if not all
The high points of the different bays and inlets of the north shore.

Also if you are looking to do bear mountain and long island I would suggest
You add on a third day.. From manhattan to beat mountain is about 1 hour 2O min
But depending on your return time you could get caught up in some traffic.
And you will definatly hit traffic heading east to long island..

Forgive the typos I am on a cell phone ..

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I live in New York. You can actually park on the street in Chelsea for free on the weekends. (During the week it's a bit more difficult because of alternate side parking). West of 6th Ave. in the 20s. Easy access to the west side highway from 23rd St. Convenience depends on where you're staying.

There are pretty much parking garages all over but you will pay dearly, especially for an SUV
edit on 16-1-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hey guys thanks for your help, really appreciated. But to 2 or 3 of you I did say in the OP (at least 3 times :cool
that I was NOT planning to drive in manhatten, its suicide, I get that
Like I said im going to spend 4 or 5 days doing tourist stuff, then if I do drive it will be last couple days and NOT INSIDE MANHATTAN lol. And as for parking being expensive, wasnt really expecting anything in NYC to be cheap believe me im spending ages researching the place.

Whats the best way to drive through the Hamptons? Ive seen lots of places taling about Ocean Road?

new topics

top topics

join