It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Full Lunar Eclipse Set for Tonight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
A full lunar eclipse will be visible tonight. The full eclipse occurs ever few years when the earth shadow lies between the moon and the sun.

www.cbc.ca
CALGARY - A full lunar eclipse may be visible during Wednesday's World Series baseball game.

If skies are clear, people can expect to see the full moon turn a deep reddish colour as the Earth's shadow falls over the face of the moon, astronomers say.
"When it passes into the Earth's inner shadow, that sunlight reaching the moon passes through the Earth's atmosphere, so it's filtered to a bright red colour," said Frank Espenak, an astronomer at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

Late Wednesday night, skygazers in North America will be able to watch the eclipse with the naked eye, although telescopes or binoculars will show more detail.

Total lunar eclipses occur every couple of years or so.

For thousands of years, people considered the events to be omens.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The eclipse visible in North America at around 9:14 EST is expected to be more reddish than ususal because of the ash kicked up by the Mount St. Helens eruption. The next such occurrence will be in March 2007.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am so mad about this. It was a beautiful day all day yesterday, and tonight? CLOUDY!

I want to scream. Everytime something exciting happens in the heavens it has to be cloudy here. I miss everything

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It always seems to be cloudy whenever interesting astronomical events are on-going! I think it is the government's weather control program in full effect.

MK

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
No need to worry, you can watch it live on webcasts...

Lunar Eclipse live webcasts

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Err Its always cloudy or raining when cool things like this happens. It has been years since ive seen an eclipse in person.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Whao, a lunar eclipse hummmm..............no wonder I feel so romantic, I definitly will invite my hubby to watch it with me.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Just hit totallity here in Southeast, NM. Pretty cool red color. Should remain for almost an hour.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
For once it was actually clear and crisp so we could see this -- It is always cloudy or rainy when something like this happens -- we went down to the beach to look at it over the ocean it was beautiful....of course we had to come home before it was done to watch the baseball game.

jm

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It was sooo cooool!

Can I post pics in this thread? I have one thats alright if I can.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It was quite impressive here in the the San Fransisco Bay Area. Very cool. If my son was older we would have driven out to the Lick Observatory and watched from there without the light pollution.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Of course it was cloudy here in Trondheim, Norway as well, but luckily the University of Oslo had a very good webcast which is still up @ webcast1.uio.no...

I love ze lunar eclipse

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The sky was clear enough to provide a truly awesome experience. I love the night skies here in Texas as it is, but tonight was certainly better.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So did anyone get any great pictures to share with us here?

I wish I had a good camera -- it was beautiful.

jm

new topics

top topics

join