It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corleone apologises for decades of Mafia murders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Corleone, the Sicilian hill town that is synonymous with the Mafia through books and films, has asked forgiveness for the murders, shootings and intimidation committed by its godfathers.

Sounds nice - but amounts to nothing but lip service.

Between the local populations ingrained reluctance to 'tell' what they know about the Mafia the horrific state of the economy only means the Mafia is getting stronger - and will continue to become stronger.

The appeal was made by the mayor of the town on the 20th anniversary of the arrest of a Corleone-born mafia leader, Toto Riina, nicknamed "The Beast" for his ruthlessness and brutality.

Leoluchina Savona apologised to victims of the Mafia's vendettas, bombings and killings on behalf of the inhabitants of the town, which was immortalised by The Godfather book and subsequent films starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino.

"I apologize in the name of all the people of Corleone. I ask forgiveness for the blood that was spilled," the mayor said on Monday during a ceremony to mark the anniversary of Riina's arrest.

Corleone apologizes for decades of Mafia murders

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Sounds like the town needs tourists so they're making a public statement to bring attention to themselves...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Meldionne1

Actually Corleone is one of the highest if not the highest town visited in Sicily - but I understand your point. And the exposure can't hurt considering how bad the economy is either.

peace

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
The Don would like yous all to accept his most humble apologies for any inconvenience...

Salut!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

'Its nothing personal...just business'

new topics

top topics

join