It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart plans $50 billion "buy American" push

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

You have not said anything that has not already been said. Yes Walmart is looking out for their best interests all businesses do.

You even said it yourself even the brick and mom and pop go to China for goods. They cannot get the deals because they cannot buy the amount. If they could they would though. The problem is people complaining about Walmart going with China when all do. Not only that but they are buying the stuff.

I am looking at the fact that no matter how small this will save and create American jobs. For me this is about the jobs not who they have been doing business with.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Great thread , we should all help each other not the Chinese communist Regime that stomps on the heads of Tibetans and many others.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

I am not saying Walmart is turning over a new leaf, but I do think they are seeing how their own actions have started to affect them. Every little bit helps, creating and saving jobs is what we need right now even if it is only a few hundren a year.

Raist

I agree 100%. But I do think they're turning over a new leaf...............out of necessity. I'm not saying this because they have a lot of money, but to me, the Walton's seem to be in a very enviable position right now. They're at a point in their business where they have the most control over this economy then anyone ever has, they messed up because they started to sail in uncharted waters, and now they're stating to right the ship. True, maybe not because they want to but because they have to, but that's kind of my point.

If you want to follow a business model you can learn from, follow Wal-Mart because they HAVE to re-mold their own model if they want to survive. Kind of like what K-Mart/Sears had to do but on a larger scale. Even if all they're doing is giving jobs to vets, it's a good start. And to the Waltons......open your eyes and see past your bank account so you can actually learn from what you're doing. Most people don't see it this way though because they're all taking it so personally. This is a business for Christs sake and people need to keep their opinions as such if want anything positive to happen.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

But they don't. And somebody needs to be held accountable for moral hazards now. And that's the bottom line.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by streetfightingman

Well before we go after business why don't we go after government first.

At least Wal-Mart it helping to save and create jobs right now. All DC is doing is spending more money we do not have.

Raist

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Yea, they're helping to save and create jobs now, how about 5-10 years ago when they were driving jobs away from the US by filling their stores with only crap made in China? They definitely had a hand in killing the manufacturing sector here in the in US and now we should just forget all the bad they've done? And I'm sure Vets will be thrilled to be hired for $8 an hour at Wal-Mart stores around this country. I'm sure the combination of PTSD and working at Wal-Mart won't lead to more depression and suicides.... When you work at Wal-Mart you're basically telling the world that you failed at life, I know I would feel that way if i worked there..

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I admit, I did not read all the posts, I am just responding to the original post.

This almost sounds like a good idea. The problem I foresee is that Wally World...since there are little to no tariffs anymore, are going to demand USA manufacturers to match or better the foreign made products in price. That means, either what used to be a standard of product quality...or a standard of living wage...will be thrown out the window. Probably both. Asian style sweat shops and wage slavery...soon coming to an industrial park near you...

I hope I am wrong, but I'm feeling like this is the only way Wal-Mart will entertain domestic products.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I love it. The recent move to guarantee jobs for returning military was genius too.

Apparently the people who avoid Walmart are having an effect on their policies.

We have to live with Walmart.

We shop there. Fess up.
Sooner or later someone in our family is going to work there
or we are going to know someone who does.

Some people spend 60-80 hours a week away from their families and work 52 weeks without a vacation.
This is America? This is the best we can do?

Since we have to live with Walmart - lets get them to treat their employees better.

Machines don't suffer health crisis or have families to tend to.

Walmart should not be permitted to treat man like a machine.

We can't get rid of them or their already devastating effect on our culture and families livelihood but I absolutely think it is in ALL our best interest to demand Walmart treat it's people fairly. In a decent and humane, and advanced society (which admittedly we are not) matters of human dignity and integrity are addressed.

Employment is where we spend the largest part of our awake hours.
Employment is where we spend the largest part of our week, year, and lives.

Those CONDITIONS should be preferably optimal but at least reasonable, and not over time, very detrimental to our health. This is not too much to ask.

A person should be able to live on what they make.

Society should not have to pick up the bill for health problems caused by overly long hours and low wages, daily and repetitive exposure to florescent lights and hard floors, and stress of insecurity for their jobs, health and welfare of their families. A job should offer personal leave time, breaks, periodic vacations, raises as earned, supportive management, employee resources and finally but first and foremost - pay them commensurate with the cost of living. This is what every employee deserves to be treated like a human and not a machine.

Radical but essential, Walmart Employees should get raises and vacation time and everything Congress sees fit for itself. Walmart Employees should get a half hour of their shift to exercise. It is (usually) the job and NOT THE RELAXATION taking a toll on health. So I think the job is where health concerns should be addressed.

Far more thoughtful consideration is given to the physical health needs of Filipino prisoners
than hard working Americans who have families to support.

Older cultures have learned, the cheapest and most effective HEALTH CARE is on the job daily exercise.

We should understand relationship of physical health to happiness and actually take into consideration happiness and best interest of the human being.

Otherwise we are killing grandma and grandpa ssssllllooowwwlllyyy but surely.

We CAN do it.
Why don't we?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

So what activities did you take place in when you were younger? Anything some might consider criminal, maybe at least immoral? Have you changed, are you the same as when you were younger (assuming you are over 25)?

I never said we should forget completely what they have done. However, we need to look into the future of jobs that are saved and created. If you always look behind you, you are doomed to fail as you are no longer looking forward.

Many vets use their GI bills to go back to school, working PT at Walmart will allow them a flexible schedule to go to school and get a better job. Besides no one said they had to stay at Walmart. Looking at the job market you are more likely to be hired someplace if you already have a job. They can simply use Walmart as a stepping stone, why are you making it out as they will be there for life?

As for saying you are a failure for working there, which is just a slap in the face to anyone who does or ever has worked there. You make it out as they cannot do anything else. I worked there but I used it as a stepping stone to get someplace else. It put money in my pocket until something better came along. I make more now than when I worked there. I have an AAS in criminal justice (not being used but that is beside the point, I make as much if not a little more where I am than if I were using that degree). A person does not have to stay at a place for life just because they work there. I would rather be making $8 an hour than nothing and be on the street. I guess some people are too prideful and feel they are above certain jobs though. Maybe they are right and Americans are too spoiled to do some work, that is why we have illegals working in the U.S. One of my best friends is a vet. He moved away and took a job making what he would make at Walmart doing crap work in the back of a restaurant just so he could use his GI bill. He was not starving; his GI bill is doing what it is supposed to do which is help him out.

Why make it out that they are doomed?

More than $8 an hour on average. That rate is not that bad. Cashiers at Aldi start out at that rate as well, who knows when they get a raise.

www.businessinsider.com...

The average full-time, hourly U.S. associate makes $12.57 an hour, according to Walmart.

www.glassdoor.com...

Raist

edit on 1/17/13 by Raist because: adding link

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

I do not see that. I see them needing their money base coming back in. I think they need to employ and buy American to get people to have money in their pockets again. It is not a change out of heart but out of demand. They cannot survive without the change.

As for living wages, the place I work has not given a raise in two years while insurance and cost of living continue to rise. Not to mention that we are getting more taken out of our checks each week thanks to government.

At this point I know I make less than I did a few years back. I do have a job and can put food on the table for my family though. Sometimes we have to tough through things and deal with it because it could be much worse. At some point something better could come around.

Raist

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

You make a lot of really good points. All of which are correct. Walmart is not known for treating people great, many places are just like them though. I recall one job that actually treated people worse than Walmart. They were working us all but one day a month every month. The management treated the normal employee like crap. I stayed there until I could find something better.

Some places are not meant to be a lifelong job. Walmart seems to be one of them. If you do not have a job then a job at Walmart is better than nothing. After you get hired you can start looking elsewhere for another job. Many places seem to be only hiring those who are already working, because there is a stigma about being unemployed. Walmart does not have to be the final resting grounds of one's employment. May vets are likely to use Walmart as a place to set in and use their GI bill to return to school while having lower working hours than a normal 9-5 job.

The good thing is though there are jobs being created and saved by this. No matter how much one hates Walmart and all the bad they have done this is a step though it be small, in the right direction.

Raist

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Even at $12.57 that's a slap to the face for war vets who return from service... I'm sure they are all leaping with joy at the opportunity to work at Wal-Mart. And what kind of stepping stone is Wal-Mart? Will Trader Joe's look at you more because of that work experience?

And $50 billion over 10 years is peanuts.... Why don't they buy ALL of their products from US based companies? Why not make a REAL point statement. Or is this all just a ploy to win back the public??? I think their little dog and pony show is winning some of you over, but I see right through this PR B***S*** .....

And people today are looking for careers, not jobs... It's hard to better yourself with just a job, living just over the poverty line won't cut it...
edit on 17-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

$12.57 is good money for many areas, especially starting out. Why not look at starting wages for most retail/grocery/convenience store jobs and see that they are pretty fair for what they do. If you think that is a low number you are not looking at the country as a whole. There are many places that do not start out with that pay. Hell even your mom and pop places don't. Like I said I worked there it was not that the job was hard it was the management that sucked. The pay was decent for the job done. How much do you think they should be paid for a job that requires little skill?

As for the stepping stone part you are simply being asinine now. It has been said many times employers are not hiring unemployed people. However, since you want to play ignorant on the matter here is some reading for you.
usatoday30.usatoday.com...

"Some employers may use current employment as a signal of quality job performance," Norton said. "But such a correlation is decidedly weak. A blanket reliance on current employment serves as a poor proxy for successful job performance."

jobs.aol.com...

Discrimination against the unemployed is rampant. Some job ads explicitly require applicants to be "currently employed," and Americans who have been out of work for a year or longer report employers rejecting them as soon as that tidbit comes out.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

But red print at the bottom of the ad says, "Client will not consider/review anyone NOT currently employed regardless of the reason."

And those were right on top, a really easy search. I obviously did not mean it would give them a skill, though a vet working there and using their GI bill to go back to school will certainly walk away a better person.

As far as careers go that is fine, but you cannot pay bills unless you have a job. Once you have a job and are paying bills putting a roof over your head you can look for a career. In the economy today any job is better than no career. What I get from your post is unless you can make a certain dollar amount a year it is better to not have anything. If that is how it is meant it is no wonder we are screwed if others are thinking the same.

If you have ever had any hard time in your life, you would be thankful for being able to bring home any money to feed your family verses no money to feed your family. Just using Walmart as a stepping stone has nothing to do with gaining a skill set.

Name any other place that is saying they are hiring like this. All businesses would get the same tax credits so that is a moot point. Facts are no one else is stepping up and saying they are hiring this many vets let alone people in general.

As for their PR that is not the point. The point is more Americans will be working. The economy cannot get better without more Americans working. Hell, I even said they are doing this out of necessity because they are losing money. I have obviously agreed with some of the points put out there in this thread. But, it seems some of you do not want nor care if Americans are working or not. That attitude is worse than Walmarts on the whole thing. Not to mention the fact that each and every one of us have allowed the whole outsourcing thing to happen anyway as I pointed out with other good and businesses. It is a lose, lose situation with some of you because no matter what you look for nothing but negativity. How any of you get through life without slipping into a severe depression is beyond me.

Raist

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I want people working but i wont sit here and applaud a company like Wal-Mart who's a HUGE reason why the job market is what it is today... If companies like Wal-Mart didn't operate the way they did once upon a time ago we wouldn't see so many desperate people here in the states. You are way too quick to forgive and you seem to be blinded with the "PR" show they're spoon feeding you.... Why are they only hiring 100,000 vets? Why not 100,000 unemployed people? Oh that's right, because they want to get that Vet tax credit... If they really cared, they would buy the majority of their merchandise states-side and they would open their doors to EVERYONE... Like I said before, if there isn't something to gain (PR), Wal-Mart would not give two bleeps about any of this...

And making $12 per hour a year will net you just under $25k... Hard to do much on that amount of money... And im sure many make under that $12 per hour, knowing that its just an average of all full time associates...
edit on 17-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

You seem to have repeated what I said in my post. I said many posts ago they were getting the tax credit. That has nothing to do with being blinded or forgiving of anything. I am happy to see Americans getting jobs. You also seemed to be ignoring the fact that no one else is hiring that many vets or unemployed for that matter. Since it is Walmart though it is a bad thing no matter if it does help Americans.

Again as for the $12.57 and 25k a year depending on your area that is good money. Here the average household brings in 60k a year with two working adults. Break that down and you get 30k a year per adult just as if one was working at Walmart. It is not like people here are living in shacks. I have a house with 3 BDR, basement, and two car garage. I make a little more than they do. Not every place in the U.S. has homes that cost over 500k. Maybe the problem with areas like that is that greedy people have inflated the wages so much that the cost of living is over inflated. Look at what the unions did for the auto workers. They raised the wages so high that they screwed them over.

This is not all Walmarts fault. It is the fault of everyone and all the businesses combined. We all drove these rates to what they are.

Raist

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Just a little WalMart rant... if drunk Aunt Alice the multi billionaire enjoys such fat margins, why the hell can't her goddamn stores have more than three hand baskets when I go to pick up a few things? I always have to look for one because there are never any around. Buy some more you cheap drunk.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join