It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart plans $50 billion "buy American" push

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
"So you would rather there be more HLS than workers at Walmart? Wow that is just freaking sick. HLS is a joke, if they were really about securing anything they would be at the borders instead of most of the other stupid things they are doing. "

you are wrong in assuming that...VERY WRONG
disabled naval vet here who is still partial to my fellow vets too if i may add
i'm versed...about current and past affairs
between the UN and DHS...we got problems
behind those tools sits the bankers...smiling and drooling playing chess with governments
NWO plans are in full swing
don't do too much (their motto) seems to be put aside as they are ramping up..."AGENDA'S"

i'm outta this thread

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

Recenlty in Florida there was a fossil dealer who was going black market and bringing in fossils from China (China is a very popular place, everyone wants their stuff). But China has laws up making it illegal to export any fossils from China. HLS was involved in taking the fossil dealer down because they deal with customs.

Instead of keeping cartel out of the U.S. they arrested a fossil smuggler. Yep they are great people.

I am not saying I agree with the fossil smuggler, just using it as a point of where they were and where they should be. They should not be wasting energy in something like that when they could be doing something more useful.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
How refreshing!!

A USA corporation that isnt focusing on pure profit and actually wanting to help the Americans that it enslaved as its cheap workforce for 50 years

Definitely a good move, i remember while in the states, the only thing i bought that didnt have "made in china" sticker on it was fast food, which i found a bit... depressing.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Right.

So now when the government decides that it wants it's public
populace to support it's low-paying jobs system of labor
employment (seasonal) and centralized controlled benefits,
inadequately distributed mind you; it will have
an army of consumers for it's slave nation of
"Real American Industry Revived."

Throw me a F*n' bone dude.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

Well if we had the opportunity that existed in order to create private firms
for all facets of any career pursuit, given the demand, then why is Walmart
considered the only alternative to a growing American Industry?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

That's good and all, especially hiring veterans, but although veterans will also be able to get benefits from the state and they (Wal Mart) Know that. What they need to do is start paying decently. Or keep to hiring kids and illegals.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Walmart is truley evil.

They are the single largest pushers of pushing products overseas, and they make the producers do it.

This is nothing but a gimmick.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Produced in America
Designed in California

Manufactured in
...you don't want to know.

I think perhaps the fact that Foxconn is planning to open up an American Factory
for their TV's and phones etc. is probably going to become a growing concern
for some American populace's in the coming months of this administration;
In relation to their employment opportunities.

Sure; you can have a job. You can put 500 TV's together in a day, sleep in a cot
an hour away from your work, or if you want to save on gas then you can
live at the "accommodations" provided to you by your employer.
edit on 16-1-2013 by streetfightingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hate em or love em, at least they know how to keep people from turning their backs on their stores. $50k/mo to buy American products at manufacturing prices is a good start.

I personally will still avoid this place like the plague, but at least they're making an attempt...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Too little . . . too late . . . but Walmart finally realized they've cannibalized their own market. The labor force is eroded to the point where sales are dropping because people don't have the jobs . . . . or jobs that pay enough to even afford the cheap-assed crap Walmart imports by the billions.

Ten years ago, this would have made a difference but the damage is done and as best it'll take decades to get most of those negatively affected by the off-shore sourcing of manufacturing back on their feet . . . if they ever do.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I was thinking of making an individual reply to each post, but all I can do is shake my head. So I will simply make a mass reply and let this die because no matter what no one cares that this will save a few American jobs. With the economy the way it is every job saved and created helps. To make it clear again I never said Walmart was a great place. I used to work there, I know they could treat people better, could pay better, do this or that to make things better, but so could and do many other businesses across the nation. The facts are all businesses are out to make max profit and more often than not save in areas they could give to employees.

That said let's talk about how everyone complains about Walmart and China. Everyone here is replying on an electronic device of some sort. The likelihood it was made by Foxconn in China is pretty high; I gave a link a page back on all the companies who use Foxconn. If not the device you are replying from at least one of the products you own (though I would wager more) were produced by Foxconn.

Since I brought that up let's talk automobiles. I know for a fact one of mine was built in Japan, the American truck my wife drives might have been assembled in America but you can bet it was built in Mexico, Canada, and China/Japan, and the beat up car that sits in our driveway could have been built in Japan or all the parts made there and assembled in the U.S. I never bothered to look into it. The point is you cannot find a automobile that is made and assembled in the U.S. they no longer exist. People can blame Walmart for all the bad with the economy in the U.S. but the really blame lies with each of us for wanting cheaper and many more wanting to be paid outstanding wages.

I work factory now, I have gone a few years now with companywide wage freeze. People at work complain about it and to be honest it does suck considering that insurance and cost of living continues to rise. But in this economy I am happy to have a job. I can put food on the table for my wife and son. I used to work for Rubbermaid. I left them a year before they started mass layoffs due to people not wanting to spend the extra dollars on stuff they could get by another company that makes their stuff in China. Many stores dropped Rubbermaid completely or started selling less of their product. Even Rubbermaid was making some stuff in China, I seen the boxes for myself.

The point is no one is innocent in this; everyone played their part, not just Walmart. I see it as a good thing that Walmart is at least saving a few jobs even if no one else does. Continue to hate Walmart that is fine, but remember that they are doing something a lot of places are not doing right now. They are creating and saving jobs in the U.S. not many places can say that. I could go on to point out other companies that are bringing in migrant help but it would fall on deaf ears it seems. I know of a few places that are hiring around here, some might be in direct response to this ordeal. Even the place I work now is hiring, not because of this but because they are looking to grow the company.

Despite Walmarts ills this is a positive thing.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The first thing they should do is make sure the gun counter has lots and lots of AR15s in stock. American-made AR15s.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Gotta give you an A for effort Raist. You did bring up a good point, but this site if full of Wal Mart haters because they're they're the easiest target to shoot at. You don't have to do a lot research into the company to see what they're about, because they're plastered all over the news.

You're right though, Wal Mart isn't the only company to have a hand in what's been going on for the past 20 years or so. My own professional opinion is that those at the top of that corporation have simply created a monster they can't control anymore. Someone here used the term "cannabilizing their customers" referring that Wal Mart outsourced the jobs of the very people who shopped there. That just goes to show me that they had their immediate bottom line in their sites without regard to the long term consequences of their actions. That's the obvious statement which leads me to my main point.

If you think about it, no other corporation in the modern era in this country, the wealthiest and most powerful in the world BTW, has had such a strong, direct and immediate influence on the economy of this country. Namely the amount of people they employ, the amount of businesses that went out of business as they grew, the import/export numbers, etc......I really don't think the Walton's had the foresight to see all this coming down the pike.You can't really blame them either because they are in an unprecedented situation. True, it's one of their own making, but really, who saw this coming besides the employment speculators on Wall Street? And even THEY were guessing. Who before them have had this kind of power over the wealthiest country in the world from a RETAIL standpoint? Personally, I think there needs to be legislation concerning how much of a direct influence one company can have on the economy of the country in general. It wouldn't exactly fall under the monopoly rule as it stands now, but maybe if you tweak on that law a bit to include dollar amounts and how they relate to and effect the nations economy as a whole............

But because of the position that Wal Mart has found itself in, I don't think anyone here is qualified to wag their fingers at them because no one here seems to have the slightest idea how to fix it. Instead, they'll throw rocks at the idea of employing vets.

You're a good man for walking into the lions den Raist.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

That is one of the most well thought out replies I have seen yet.

Thank you for that. You are correct, lets hope that the future gets brighter as others see what is taking place. If they do this it is likely to inspire others to do it. Many strive to gain what Walmart has, and every business out there would take their place if they could, even the mom and pop places, because that is the way of human greed.

I am not saying Walmart is turning over a new leaf, but I do think they are seeing how their own actions have started to affect them. Every little bit helps, creating and saving jobs is what we need right now even if it is only a few hundren a year.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Whats in it for them?
They wouldn`t be doing this unless there was something to gain for them.

i think maybe their profits are starting to drop at a lot of their stores so they think that by buying more U.S. made products they can help put just enough money back into the economy for people to shop at wal mart a little more and raise their profits again.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

You think any business does something if it does not benifit them? It is not a very wise move to do things that will hurt business.

Aside from what this will do for Walmart though I like to think of what this does for more American jobs.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by Raist

I couldnt care less about the 50 Billion.

Its the 100,000 vets getting shuffled to the Top of the Hire Basket that I applaud.

Walmart isn't doing it out of kindness but because there is money to be made from it.

Obama the Crony Capitalist signed a "Hire a Veteran Tax Break" that gives companies $5,600 to $9,600 dollars per Vet.

www.whitehouse.gov...

In August, President Obama called on Congress to enact tax credits that will help get veterans back to work. The Returning Heroes Tax Credit provides businesses that hire unemployed veterans with a maximum credit of $5,600 per veteran, and the Wounded Warriors Tax Credit offers businesses that hire veterans with service-connected disabilities with a maximum credit of $9,600 per veteran.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

Those credits work for any business. Why are more not doing this, or hiring anyone for that matter? Why are more businesses not upping their spending on American made products?

Every business is out for max profit. They have to be in order to survive. Most every business would love to have the place Walmart does. They would each and are doing the same things to get there. Those on top have targets ontheir back. I am not saying Walmart is an angel, but at this point they are saving and creating jobs.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Used to work at The Brick in Canada.

The Brick went to China to try and work out a deal with a Tv manufacturer. They went to try and get a good deal on 50,000 TV's 5 different types for one of their Tent sales events that happens over a week.

Anyways the Manufacturer told the Brick Rep that if you want a deal, then buy 5 million TV's for a one day sale like Wal-mart. All the same tv, not 5 different ones.

That is the monster that Wal-mart is. No bullsh*t!

If a Million dollar giant like The Brick can't even get a deal on 50,000 Tv's then how is your local mom and pop supposed to grow? The giant operates a monopoly!

Not only that, but Wal-mart has divisions of people who's jobs are to work with the manufacturers to get them the lowest prices. They will help you restructure your business until you make 1 cent on an item profit just so wal-mart can make bank. Look at the George clothing company. Prime example. They started out small until Wal-mart got them. Now they make almost every item of clothing for wal-mart. Pretty sure Wal-mart bought them out.

So lets put that into perspective as well. $50 billion dollars back into American business. p.s. that's nothing by the way. That could be nothing but bird houses or bird feed.....literally made in America! Or a type of Alcohol. Wal mart talks to the owners of said company.....makes lots of deals....owns the company for peanuts in the end and sells $5.00 vodka made in America to the people. The people making the Vodka are paid minimum wage, and only work part time, with no benefits. Then when the employees make a stink or try and form a union, Wal-mart either A: sells the company or B: moves it overseas or to mexico but still says it's MADE IN AMERICA!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
reply to post by jacobe001

Those credits work for any business. Why are more not doing this, or hiring anyone for that matter? Why are more businesses not upping their spending on American made products?

Every business is out for max profit. They have to be in order to survive. Most every business would love to have the place Walmart does. They would each and are doing the same things to get there. Those on top have targets ontheir back. I am not saying Walmart is an angel, but at this point they are saving and creating jobs.

Raist

There is really not much else to be said.
The Government passed policies that lobbyists brought to them and those policies are destroying the country.
As a consumer, I refuse to shop at Walmart, and if enough people were to quit shopping at Walmart, they would fail. They would fail as a business because they are not providing to the consumers what they want.
Many consumers want Walmart to pay better wages, change their policies and to quit leeching off the government by having the public subsidize them.

That is free market capitalism at work.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join