It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart plans $50 billion "buy American" push

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lasvegasteddy

I would say what is up is those at the top have noticed they may not have anything to be on top of if something is not done.

I knew I should have just let this slide. No one seems to care that this might save jobs, they only want to hate Walmart.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Well, Raist, how about what Wal-Mart did to Rubbermaid? I'm sure you've heard about it and if you took a Macro course in college I bet you even looked at the case study of it. Yea, Wal-Mart was a real nice company that wasn't willing to work with one of their vendors to keep the relationship going...

I know of many companies that I've personally dealt with in both the private and public sectors that are willing to pay a little more if a vendor requests it to help one another out at times, especially if raw costs go up. A solid business relationship goes a long way today and it's sometimes hard to replace those great vendors so when a raise in price is asked you don't deny them, you work with them... Wal-Mart doesn't know how to do that.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by misse2miss

I agree that many in the U.S. are nothing but greedy and lazy, I will not say all though. When it comes to business though I will say all are out to get the max profit they can. If they are not they will not survive. Even a lot of the mom and pop places sell stuff from China, and many of them will scam you if they think they can.

This move will help to save American jobs though. Yes it is a very small step but every little bit helps.

Even before this move Walmart sold products that were made in the U.S. I have seen them with my own eyes and bought them.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

A lot of companies dropped Rubbermaid because of price.

How do I know this? The company I left that laid off a huge amount of their workforce the next year was Rubbermaid. Many who I worked with there followed me to the place we now work.

Rubbermaid also imports a lot of its own merchandice from China, I have personally seen the packaging and unloaded/loaded it.

Walmart is not the only one in that dealing, you canont just blame them. A large number of customers have dropped Rubbermaid completely or only do a small amount of business with them.

At the same time Rubbermaid did not treat its employees any better than Walmart.

Edit to add: The place I am now has a 90 day wait before they can increase prices if costs go up, meaning for many days they have to eat costs with a chance of not getting that money back. I can tell you a lot of businesses might say they are doing stuff to help others but they are only out to help themselves. I have been in the business for many years.

Raist
edit on 1/16/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Reminds me of Starbucks offering to pay some tax to the British after they were exposed for avoiding tax.

These 'job creators' think they can tell us how it will be. Its about time we forced governments to limit market shares of the monopoly multinational corporations and tax the living hell out of them. The corporate tax rate should be much higher and loopholes should be done away with.

Who the hell are wallmart to sell this insulting nonsense to the public? Corporations think people are idiots.

The government can do many things to encourage people to buy American products and help them compete. People should not be praising walmart for their insulting PR campaign. Corporations know they are to blame and they know most of us know it. They think they can sell themselves as our saviours. Instead of that people should be using government to tax the heck out of these parasites. Incorporation is a privlege. People can take it away.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I couldnt care less about the 50 Billion.

Its the 100,000 vets getting shuffled to the Top of the Hire Basket that I applaud.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I take it no one remembers back when 60 Minutes or Dateline did the story on walmart - the hidden cameras that went in to the Chinese factories making clothes for walmart - footage of the 'made in America' tags they were sewing into the clothes bound for walmart?

I looked for a link a couple of years ago, if I can find it I'll post it.
Walmart has just done too much damage over the decades.

Yes people have been greedy in their perceived need to keep up with whatever. Society has helped to feed that. Its a wicked machine.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

It seems that we are two opposite ends of the spectrum with Wal-Mart and likely won't convince the other... I also don't want to derail your thread any more than I have getting off topic..

We both know how each other feels about the company and that's fine.

Towards your story. It is a step in the right direction, I do believe they could do WAY more than $50 billion over 10 years, but that's another topic all together. Hopefully this trend increases within our country.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HenryNorris

That is all fine and good. I agree we should tax those that import all sorts of stuff instead of giving them breaks.

At the same time this move will help to save many American jobs. If this move was not taken you can bet that there would be many more places closing in the near future. This might help one or two place to stay open. That is better than them doing nothing.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Funny thing is that it wasn't that long ago that WalMart was advertising that they were saving American jobs by buying goods from American factories. I remember it, so it must not have been too long ago. I think it is too little too late, but I am glad they are doing it.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I never really said I liked Walmart. Heck I do not really like Rubbermaid. Neither really treats employees great and both use China. But as I said Walmart was not te only one to blame in Rubbermaid losing business. I could name store after store that either completely dropped or started carrying less of their product.

I might be jaded because even the mom and pop stores I have been in sell crap from China and try to one up customers. Like I said they are all out to make profit, without it they fail.

Yes this is a tiny step and they could do a lot more. But without taking this step they cannot improve at all. I want this to work and I want them to increase their spending more in hopes other places follow suit. After all a lot of places try to model after Walmart. Despite the hate people ahve for them they are very successful.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

I have not seen that. I really do not watch TV much. If it is on it is just for noise much of the time.

If you find a link I would like to see it.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I have seen U.S. made products in Walmart, even bought some. They have always had American made products, not everything there is made in the U.S. but they have always had some U.S. made products.

At the same time I can go to any box store and even many mom and pop places and see stuff made in China. Almost all the toys in stores are made in China for example.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by Raist

I couldnt care less about the 50 Billion.

Its the 100,000 vets getting shuffled to the Top of the Hire Basket that I applaud.

you are aware
their are subsidies for doing this as well as tax breaks...

yeah to celebrate our vets...let's get them working at min wage on food stamps and medicaid
most all walmart employess are on public subsistence
you thought suicide rates of vets was high before
while the corp celebrates being able to pay less then min wage by means of all the breaks they'll reap

i'm sorry to rain on yours or anyone else's parade but...walmart as with most other corp's here
is an earned standing
edit on 16-1-2013 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I do not recall myself or anyone else I worked with at Walmart being on any sort of government aid.

Many vets coming back would like to return to school and use their GI bill. To do this it helps to have a job that can work with the schedualing.

Since we are talking about it though name any other place that is looking to hire that many vets and give them jobs when there are many others who are more than willing to take those jobs?

You are right though, screw the vets, screw American jobs, it is okay Walmart forget it you have screwed up enough no need to try and start to make things better. At least that is what I am reading from many posters in this thread.

I never claimed Walmart or any place were angels, but this is a step that will help many Americans that need a job.

Raist

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
name another willing to hire that many vets
department of homeland security

have you researched walmart much
they are noted for employee's on subsistence...no health coverage...food stamps
if ya like
i'll dig ya up some dirt on walmart...as it's eveywhere

common psy-ops...make it in the name of good...while raping them blind
bahh...bahhhhh...bahh

now we'll see made in usa on toilet brushes and toliet paper at walmart

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

I have not seen that. I really do not watch TV much. If it is on it is just for noise much of the time.

If you find a link I would like to see it.

Raist

Been looking for it again - found a BrasscheckTV video from '09 that stated "P.S. Wal-Mart can and does pay to keep
the reality of its business operations
off the US news media.

The US news media is only too happy to
take the money."

The video had been taken down.
Can't find the link still.
It is at least a decade old, if not older; the days before the net. The visuals in the factory were strong - very clear still - children sewing these name tags into the clothes. Apologies for being unable to find links to back it up - by the sounds of it, this was probably wiped "clean".

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
here's an article clearly supporting my claims
from this article...
"To make matters worse, these abusive Walmart policies have increased employee reliance on government assistance and the need for a government funded social safety net. In fact, Walmart has become the number one driver behind the growing use of food stamps in the United States with "as many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores using food stamps."

www.dailykos.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

So you would rather there be more HLS than workers at Walmart? Wow that is just freaking sick. HLS is a joke, if they were really about securing anything they would be at the borders instead of most of the other stupid things they are doing.

But I meant business, I thought it was obvious. Since it was not name any business that is willing to hire all these vets.

Again I used to work at Walmart. Neither I or anyone I worked with was on government aid while working there. Even those I know that are still working there are not on any government aid. If it is someone working part time sure they might be, but if they are a vet working part time and going to school on their GI bill they are not going to be on government aid. One of my best friends is a vet, he is using his GI bill. The use of that GI bill is earning him enough to cover his bills and school.

Again though lets go back to Walmart being evil and forget that this will help Americans with jobs.

This thread is about how Walmart will be helping to save and even create a few jobs. It might not sound like much to you but even a few more jobs in this economy is better than none and losing more. Again no one cares that soe people in the U.S. will be better off.

Walmart is not a great place, at the same time many companies in the U.S. treat their employees like crap also. It is even more evident in this economy when there is a line of people willing to take your place.

Raist
edit on 1/16/13 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I would liked to have seen it. It is a shame it has been lost.

Thanks for trying though, and at least giving the name. It might be found on a torrent somewhere.

Raist

<< 1    3  4 >>

join