It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the People Really in Power in America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I've been thinking a lot lately about people who say the people of the United States couldn't rebel against their own government.

2010 demogaphics show that there are around 2310000 people in the military (this is including reserves), also consider 765000 police officers employed as of 2008 (might be less now due to cuts.)

Gun ownership in America is at about 47% for adults. Census bureau states that there are 237744632 legal adults in America right now. 47% of that is 111739977 people. Let's be generous here, lets say that only 10% of those gun owners are above 21, own guns, and are willing to fight to preserve their rights. That's 11173997 people, and let's also assume that every single person in the military owns a firearm. That leaves us with roughly 8800000 people ready to fight for their freedom. I will subtract 3 or 4 million just for statistic inaccuracies. That leaves about 4800000 people (which is pretty generous in my opinion.)

This is under the assumption that every single person in the military wouldn't question Obama's orders, and is a fighter not some military pencil-pusher. Now lets not get tied up on the semantics of the numbers here, this is just a vague example meant to give you somewhat of an idea of what i'm thinking. I understand there are a lot of semantics going into this, but just assume that the people are united as well as the military.

An argument I see often is "the government has helicopters/planes/etc." THIS ISN'T IRAQ, the military can't just bomb cities out like they are in the desert, if the resistance was meshed within society they would need people on the ground, they couldn't just light up entire cities with innocent non-gun owners in danger.

To be honest with you guys i'm not gun crazy, I own two pistols and I feel like that is adequate to protect me from my main worry which is a robber. I'm not sure how I feel about the events going on now, I just know that the 2nd amendment was put there for a reason and we shouldn't doubt for one second that our government has ultimate control over us.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberLegit

the people have NO power in any country... We're strung along like puppets... given Elections to vote for our leaders as if they actually matter because all of them without exception are professional liars.

Even with all your guns in the US... Your population could not rebel against the government because just like in my country they will keep you separated in one way or the other.

Imagine.... a rebellion breaks out in whatever state... the rebels call for the citizens of the country to stand up for their rights as americans... Suddenly the movement is labeled a cult or a "terrorist" faction in all forms of media across the country (which im sure "they" control) and the rebellion is crushed by citizens turning on their own.

The people have no power anywhere because ALL leaders are corrupt... looking out for their own factions and not the people they rule.

Same as it ever was?

Love that song!! lol

The short answer to your question is NO

edit on 15-1-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
No, it is all a show of theatrics to give you the illusion you have the power and control.
Big Money is what owns this country and who picks your puppets to "represent you" them.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Two points I'd like to add if I may... First are some numbers with a source to check out...

Source

In Vietnam, the United States was radically superior to anything else on the battlefield in terms of technology and whizz-bang impact. Yet, the Vietcong effectively kept the U.S. off balance and denied from free movement anywhere in the Southern half for the duration of the war. They weren't THAT much. Just determined, fighting for their homes and able to blend into and back out of the background. It wasn't enough to win...but it was plenty to keep the US from winning, itself. .

Unlike the main troops, who saw themselves as professional soldiers, local Vietcong groups tended to be far less confident. For the most part, recruits were young teenagers, and while many were motivated by idealism, others had been pressured or shamed into joining. They also harbored real doubts about their ability to fight heavily armed and well-trained American soldier
Source

Now I'd always say that I don't think it'll ever go there in this nation. Never that far..and not like that. However, in pure theory, if it did? The USG would do far WORSE here than it has fighting populations anywhere else in the world. After all, The USG hasn't had a 5th column on top of everything ELSE in the past. It sure would here ..and in the end, would never work for any length of time at either of the extremes, IMO.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wow, 88.8 firearms per 100 people? That's unbelievable. I just threw numbers around from the census bureau, it's nice to see other statistics backing things up even more.

As far as other people posting, I understand what you are saying about the divide and conquer routine. At the end of the day my argument isn't about who is really in control intangibly, it's more of a tangible form of power i'm thinking through.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The size of the country would make it impossible for the government to win a war against the people.
Afganistan is slightly smaller than the state of Texas, every resource and dollar that the government has used to date would need to be duplicated and deployed to Texas to deal with a guerrilla type civil war in that state alone.
Just like in afghanstan all the governments technology wouldn`t bring an end to the war it would be a never ending war, and that`s just one state.

The government would never know who are rebel sympathizers, who is aiding the rebels, who is working within the government itself and spying for the rebels,who the rebels are.The rebels would look like americans, dress like americans, act like americans, because they are americans.

There are already local organizations in place that could very easily be used to organize resistance and the people in those organizations already know and trust each other. local lions clubs, VFW`s, rotary clubs, volunteer fire depts., the list is endless.

The government knows that it can`t win a rebellion that is why they will avoid a rebellion by legally and gradually disarming the people so that the people can`t rebel.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
The size of the country would make it impossible for the government to win a war against the people.
Afganistan is slightly smaller than the state of Texas, every resource and dollar that the government has used to date would need to be duplicated and deployed to Texas to deal with a guerrilla type civil war in that state alone.
Just like in afghanstan all the governments technology wouldn`t bring an end to the war it would be a never ending war, and that`s just one state.

Some things ro remember about Afganistan. Those folks can still drink from a hoof print so to say. Americans getting their water and electric turned off....oh boy.

Also Americans wouldnt have someone like Iran slipping bullets over the border.

Americans would be forced to move fast at first and try to finish it fast and thats not going to be happening without state or national armies joing in the fight.....or a power coup.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberLegit

I have now read several threads on this rubject of resisting the gvt by the american people. However dispite all the number games and asymetrical warfare talk, one thing is totally overllooked.
The USA is after all a not cohesive nation. Just look at the many cristian denominations that make up the mainstream of white America. from totally peaceful amish people to absolute radical pro zionist groups and more. So under what "Banner" does then a resistance fight? Unlike Vietnam, Afghanistan etc with a cohesive and uniform peoples MIND, where and what and for what does an American resistance fight? Will it be a resistance with black and white and hispanics and asian side by side? Or will it fragment along racial lines? Along religions? Will it end up with an USA divided into 50 some independent countries? Then how many millions of immigrants, would just pack up and leave at 1st sign of trouble? Many did not come to the USA for loving the USA, they came simply for the good money. Is this maybe why TPTB don't fear a revolt?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Can you really stand behind that comment about warfare in Texas? I'm not sure if the terrain or size would make it a more difficult scenario than that of Afghanistan or Vietnam

new topics

top topics

join