It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Night vision for camcorder?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I have a bog standard digital camcorder with 60gb hard drive which uses flash drives as well as the main hard drive.
It has a night mode which is just for low light and nothing else. I fitted a small light on a bracket that is for a camcorder and works good, but I want to be able to film in near darkness with some type of filter or light if you see what I mean.
Camera is only about three or four years old.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I may be wrong, but I think most vid cams can see in the same Infra-red wavelengths as your standard TV remote control emits. You can test, by aiming a remote at the camera. you should see the Infra-red LED flicker (It's also a good way to test the batteries on your remote!). If so...I'm pretty sure you can get LED Spotlights, and Flashlights that emit at this frequency. So you could illuminate your area with infra-red, and shoot video.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I may be wrong, but I think most vid cams can see in the same Infra-red wavelengths as your standard TV remote control emits. You can test, by aiming a remote at the camera. you should see the Infra-red LED flicker (It's also a good way to test the batteries on your remote!). If so...I'm pretty sure you can get LED Spotlights, and Flashlights that emit at this frequency. So you could illuminate your area with infra-red, and shoot video.

I wondered about that as well. I have CCTV cameras out front and back and they work infr red and pictures are really good. I once put one in my loft and shut the door and it was pitch black in there. When I looked at the screen the loft looked like it was when a light was on.
I might just try for the infra red as you suggest. Many thanks for the info..

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

You're not wrong, that's how some night vision cameras work. You need quite a powerful IR torch though.
edit on 15-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You're welcome!

Funny, i was just talking with a co-worker today about this very thing. I have an older Sony Digital-8 camera. It's not Hi-def. but it does have 2 different low light settings. One of these settings ( I can't remember which at the moment), could see very clearly through smoke, and into the wildfires that we have here almost every summer. so in Broad daylight, I could aim it at what looked like just a bank of heavy smoke, Turn on the low-light settings, and the flames of the fires would become easily visible....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Yeah, I wasn't sure any more. If the range of spectrum sensitivity had changed in the newer devices. Most of my Vid cams are old! I've never actually checked if my 'droid camera can see in the range. It will be one of the first geeky things I do when i get home tonight, of course.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Most video cameras will pick up IR light as the above posts have said but they also have IR filters in them because picking up IR light under normal circumstances does some odd things to the picture.
So if you do use a normal video camera that doesnt have a specific mode that removes the filter then your results are not going to be great.

You can buy infra-red spot lights for video cameras like the one below, a lot of the ghost hunting types use them

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Wow I had no idea about this, just tried it with a tv remote and my Xperia S camera and it worked!

Very neat trick!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Nice, now you have a battery tester for your remote..

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I tried it with the remote and it works no problem. Can't seem to find a decent IR light though. Most are cheap and nasty plastic boxes that only work for about 30mins before the battery dies or worse.
Any recommendations that others have used or are using would be helpful ..

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Haven't had a chance to look yet, but I thought I'd reply to see if others might know, and as a reminder to me, to look around later on this evening.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I,haven't,found any half decent ones as yet. Only ones I see last for about 30 mins at best ....

top topics

join