Is One of the Most Favorite Intellectual Pastimes Under Attack? Or Is it Time For Change?

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Scrabble: Should letter values change?

Source:www.bbc.co.uk...

The values of the letters in Scrabble were assigned according to the front page of a US newspaper in the 1930s. Is it time the scoring system was updated to reflect today's usage?

According to Lewis's system, X (worth eight points in the current game) is worth only five points and Z (worth 10 points now) is worth six points.

Other letter values change too, but less radically. For example, U (one point currently) is worth two in the new version, G (two points) becomes three and M (three points) becomes two.

After all this time and so many games later I have to relearn the values and I am wondering are there going to be more than 100 letters to choose from? With more words containing the lesser used letters like Q and Z will I have to work out how many are left more than I already do? These changes really do effect the strategy. I guess that illusive triple word score(and bonus for all 7 letters used) for Quetzal just wont get those awesome scores anymore.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
No Way! If it is not broken, why fix it? Some things, should never be changed. Alas , Scrabble will never be the same. Woe is Me .

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

That is BS!!

I'm of the mindset that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I see no reason to go around changing the letter values in Scrabble. And I won't stand for it.

I'll write letters to Hasbro if I have to. Maybe I'll start a petition on the White House website.

I might even immolate myself in protest.

This must be stopped!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Unless Hasbro or Mattel agrees, it's not going to happen. They own the trademark and print the game and there's no indication anyone is particularly interested in changing it. It's just some guy's mathematical construct that has no official standing.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Why are the researchers telling us how to play our board game?

I think the world has bigger issues than whether of not the dictionary has added new words since the game was invented.
edit on 15-1-2013 by zroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I hope you are right and it stays the way it is. I would be sad going back and reading all my spiral notebooks of game after game and seeing those scores compared to what I would be getting if it did change.

new topics
top topics

join