It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make your friends and family consider prepping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I had this brain storm reading a reply on another thread of mine. The word prepping seems to have a nut connotation with people. Mention storage and they glaze over.

Paying off your debt on the other hand is something people need.

So here's how to get them to consider storage

If they think storage is stupid, then how about talking about it as a money saving device. If you buy more than what you need when it's on sale, and keep using until it's on sale again, you will have to output more up front, but your savings on food will amount to a minimum of 25% more than right now. If your family budget is $800 per month for a family of four, times 12 is just short of ten grand a year in expenditure. Knock $2500 off of that and what could it be spent on.

Paying down their debt

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

I don't have debts so i don't worry about that stuff.
People believe everything they are told...hence why they have debts.

What i did was mention this en.wikipedia.org...
I then asked them,if the power shut off in minus 30 like we get up here.....what would you do??
If the power was off and society shut down for 2 years....can you make it??

That seemed to work.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Hey, good cause getting people ready. "Prepping" has a funny name due to shows like doomsday preppers, where a belief in doomsday is attached. I think if you talk about disaster/emergency preparedness, you can attract more people. Ask first if they're even up to par with the basic preparedness levels the government recommends on ready.gov
www.ready.gov...
If they are, you can bring up a lot of stories from the latest superstorm, like Sandy about how people who had more did a lot better. Also, getting people to know the existence of things like propane heaters, cheap generators, etc helps them too. I think disaster preparedness is a good area for small businesses to be in, who really sell just by letting people know what's out there product wise, and why it helps them.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Best thing you can do, is call it camping.

And just plan the camping trip, in a very prepared fashion.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well, you must admit, when shows like preppers come on, and you take the time to watch it, and all you see are toothless men and women stocking up on rounds, and rounds, and more rounds..... they do seem a little nutty. You can't eat bullets, but you are set up nicely to war with people that have food resources. If you have a belly full of lead, you aren't any good to anyone.

As much as I can appreciate someone stocking up for hard times, shows like preppers don't necessarily show the most intelligent of people.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by hhcore

I agree with you.

I stock up as well but am a survivalist first.

It pays to know how to get water and purify it instead of relying on stocking it.
When stuff runs out you are only left with your wits and knowledge weighs less.
When it comes to the guns and ammo thing.....I would never engage a target unless threatened.
Engaging gives up your location.....why CHOOSE a fight.

I will add though...they do try to make these people look a tad off their rockers.....or maybe they just actually are....I won't judge too hard.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The OP has an excellent points - one that I use to make purchases my wife otherwise might not approve of. I buy grocery staples that last when I see them on sale and have a closet full of food for emergencies. I do that same with ammo and after recent price increases and shortages she's seeing the wisdom in that position.
Over the last 10 years we've had at least 5 storms hit that were bad enough to take down power for a week or more. That alone is something worth being prepared for.
I do agree that part of the problem is the nomenclature - being called a "prepper" isn't exactly a compliment for many people. "Storm Readiness" might be better?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
All good ideas and thoughts. My hat off for the on topic responses. Thanks

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by winterkill

It's easier here in Florida, just get them to stock up for the storm season, and constantly add to this.

Here's another one. Recently, I was laid off, but my food stores have allowed us to cut down our grocery bill considerably in this difficult time, so while looking for another gig, we're still maintaining our quality of life. Prepping isn't just for some SHTF event, it can help out in very real circumstances as well.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Best thing you can do, is call it camping.

And just plan the camping trip, in a very prepared fashion.

That's what I tell my kids.
My 11 year old son is all into the making a campfire and such.
He is learning and becoming very good at shooting and hunting.
Make it fun for the kids .

My wife finally appreciates my little set up with the solar panels that are portable and can charge her iphone so she can pinterest.
Make it comfortable for the wife.

Baby steps towards preparation.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Preppers are not seen as crazy for the most part but the crazy Rambo preppers are crazy and make everyone look bad.
A prepper will have enough food and supplies to last him a long time.
A Rambo prepper will have some food but mostly supplies. What makes them crazy is that if you ask them about any of their equipment they go on about the 10 different ways it can be used as a weapon before telling you that the screw driver is good for screwing in screws.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Exactly.

I got a red cross hand crank solar radio, plus charger. It has a usb port and is not bad. There are more rugged ones, but this is for inside my camper. I would like to add solar panels to the roof of my camper, I have 20ft after all, lol.

Another way to get the family into prepping, is to make a game out of it.

Check lists for gear, who ever can inventory their gear first wins. Like a military deployment check list, bag A, with every thing it has, inside it on the list.
Check...etc

For me, I'm always looking for old or new and better, smaller and lighter & tougher, more multi purpose.
Making it fun, is the best way though. Have exclusive games only for camping, have back yard bonfires for making smores, and make it like a mini bugout scenario. Hide and seak, becomes search and rescue.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If you have kids, that's a great idea. One of the worst things in a calamity is how your kids react. Having fire with this as a practice will turn a problem into an okay time instead of a time of panic for them.. Good post.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I have stopped trying to make anyone do or believe anything. Everyone must decide what is right for themselves. Control for any reason is wrong in my view.

top topics

join