It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
awesome! Horse is a delicacy where I live

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I wouldn't have a problem with eating horse if it said horse on the label. We eat rabbits and they are also classed as 'pets' A life taken is a life taken regardless of whether it is a cow, pig, horse, dog or rabbit. I eat meat and will eat any meat as long as it is safe and healthy. Being lied to is completely different however, I would be just as concerned about this whole fiasco if I discovered my Weetabix were 25% corn.

On another note, the processed crap that this has affected is barely fit for human consumption anyway so it should be the least of someones worries.

Also, can anyone explain to me why the ribs at my local Chinese seem too small to be from a pig? Although I'm dubious, they are the best ribs I've ever tasted and I am still alive, proving the point that even if it is dog, it isn't going to harm anyone.
edit on 17-1-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I hate you........

ribs are my fav thing from the Chinese.....now you have me thinking about the small size....

again.... I hate you (in the nicest possible way)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The answer for me has been to eat vegan now for almost ten years. I knew this was coming and it is about CONTROL...

If you are weak and sick, you are no threat and not much of an adversary. See what I mean?
edit on 17-1-2013 by Wanderer112358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Yeah, quite an interesting story. It certainly sheds some light on the corners that mass producers cut when preparing processed food. From what I can gather, it's likely that horse DNA came from stuff like the binding ingredients. I'm sure the Tesco burgers containing 29% (or whatever) equine DNA in the meat content has actual flesh in them though.

Anyhow, it's not the end of the world. Horse meat is 100% safe to eat (and actually delicious, as I discovered in France!), but it's important producers are honest about their ingredients because of religious/culutural/allergy reasons. The investigation also concluded that pork was present in some of the products tested. Whilst I'm not of the belief that the UK should bend over backwards to accomodate people's faith requirements, I certainly don't think it's unreasonable for British Muslims and Jews to expect a 'beef' product to contain just that. All consumers deserve to know what their money buys, at the end of the day.

So, what do we learn from this? Whilst supermarkets are very convenient and inexpensive, you're better off supporting your local butcher where you can be sure of what you're buying, and leaving the supermarkets for essentials and other day to day odds and ends. It protects jobs too.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

I hate you........

ribs are my fav thing from the Chinese.....now you have me thinking about the small size....

again.... I hate you (in the nicest possible way)

must be all the MSG killing our brain cells so that we don't question them. Take comfort in the thought that they may be pygmy pigs from the forests in the mountains of deepest China, not Jack Russels force fed Tesco burgers (foie gras style) from an illegal farm in Slough.
edit on 17-1-2013 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Brits are funny about meats. They got their panties in a twist when they discovered reindeer being sold there. Only reason for that outrage is that the only reindeer they know of is rudolph.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Brits are funny about meats.

Well, so far the comments and jokes from Brits in this thread have been the funniest I've read for a while on ATS.
I have actually laughed out loud a few times while catching up here just now. Nice one fellow countryfolk - A brilliant reminder of our British sense of humour!

They got their panties in a twist when they discovered reindeer being sold there. Only reason for that outrage is that the only reindeer they know of is rudolph.

I don't remember that one, and to be fair, a few 'outraged' people picked for quote by media wanting to sell newspapers or increase ratings doesn't really reflect the views of a nation

*Edit* Oh, and I'd eat Rudolph steaks for sure, as long as his red nose doesn't indicate some strange disease or something else risky to health.
edit on 17-1-2013 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

You can get Reindeer salami at IKEA. Very tasty.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
A lot of countries eat horse meat, such as: France, Japan, Europe(some), and Quebec(Canada)

Horsemeat is actually pretty healthy to eat, if you can get past the image of a filly's kind, soulful eyes looking at you. The meat is lean, finely textured, slightly sweet, rich in protein, and tender. Even better, horses are immune to bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disease). A large majority of the 65,000 horses that are slaughtered each year in the United States are shipped to Japan, Europe, and Quebec for consumption by consumers. Montreal is particularly fond of horsemeat, and butchers that specialize in it have become increasingly busy in recent years because of the spread of mad cow disease. In Quebec and European countries, only horse butchers can sell horsemeat, and it is sold in the form of minced meat, sausages, steaks, and brochettes.

Not too sure if I'd willingly eat it.
edit on 1/15/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

Take it from a Frenchman, nothing beats a steak tartare made from horse meat...

However it's increasingly difficult to find horse butcher shops, and even more to find a good restaurant proposing horse meat...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I get tin dog food.
it says beef or chicken.
I bet it is Rat and Pigeon. or god knows what!
or do the humans get that to?

why do buissneses that make LOTS of money
keep riping us off?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Haha, I've just learned something new today, didn't even know IKEA sold food, never been inside one!
...be funny if the Ireland food agency found horse DNA in their salami as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Over the past 48 hours I have heard so many horse burger jokes and also received many of them via text message so I am not going to be so shallow in trying to offer any further jokes on the subject as I think there are far too many already, but remember as the old saying goes there’s nothing like trying to flog a dead horse, is there ?

However, whilst in Tesco yesterday I found myself in the wines and spirits section and decided to try out a new alcoholic product line that they are offering.

So I shall continue to read through the various threads here on ATS and try out my new purchase from the supermarket, and enjoy a glass of Red Rum

Keep up the great work !
edit on 17-1-2013 by excelents because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Apologies for the late reply but I must have missed this the other night:

Originally posted by BMorris
The preparation and/or consumption of horsemeat is illegal in the UK. Its the ONLY country in europe where its illegal. Other countries might choose not to process and consume it, but only the UK has made it illegal.

Why is it illegal? Horses for some reason are classified as "Pets" in the UK, seems to be the only reason.
No, the above statement is incorrect. The sale of horsemeat for human consumption is perfectly legal in the UK.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

You can have it delivered by this firm, not sure on the Horse's Meatballs though

edit on 17-1-2013 by excelents because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by excelents

You can have it delivered by this firm, not sure on the Horse's Meatballs though

Ah, but can they guarantee that they know the origin of all their ingredients in the meatballs or sausages for that matter?
www.keziefoods.co.uk...

Over the years we have carefully sourced the finest meats and seafood from around the world

I'm not saying I have any particular reason to think that statement is untrue but as an earlier poster pointed out, unless we've reared and killed our meat ourselves then we'll never really know.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
When I was in Finland two years ago you could buy horse meat for human consumption right at the meat shoppes in the market. I said to my boyfriend "Hey that looks like summer sausage, looks pretty good" and he's like "It's horse" Being American it kinda icked me out, but on later thought I probably would have tried it. I'll eat anything once.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn
When I was in Finland two years ago you could buy horse meat for human consumption right at the meat shoppes in the market.

Well it seems quite widespread then although not aggressively marketed.
The issue seems less about the eating of horses, due to the apparent lack of outrage from horse lovers.
I did expect more comments from people decrying the use of dead horses for food but I guess the argument isn't really supportable to any great extent.

The mislabelling of food is of course the real scandal but for myself, being pragmatic, I would assume the risk of even rat DNA being found in any cheap processed meat products I occassionaly consume.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
It seems a horse has gone looking for its family members in Tesco!!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyTrick
Muslims will be pretty outraged about the pig more than the horse. It's very wrong, who know maybe we've eaten human meat without realising. all very Sweeny todd.
Maybe there's some very clever cows out there abducting horses and painting them black and white.

I think its more soylent green than sweeny todd. If it hasn't already happened it sure will in the future.

-----

As usual these kinds of scandals affect the poor more than the well off. Those who say buy fresh meat instead should realise that there is a very large sector of British society who can't afford fresh meat. £10 ($16) a kilo for battery chicken is outrageous let alone red meat prices.

Also it just so happens that £10 ($16) a kilo is how much I have to pay for wheat free bread. The food industry is rigged, and its the easiest industry to rig because we can't just choose not to buy food.

As i've said in another thread I think there's an agenda unfolding here.

How do you change eating habits and get those who buy less expensive prepared meat to switch to more expensive (with greater profit) fresh meat? Simples, have a prepared food scandal. Some will buy fresh, others will turn vegitarian, and some will have no choice but to reduce meat in their diet and/or continue to be poisoned by drug laced prepared foods.

I hope all the other countries who are no doubt also caught up in this will 'fess up like Britain has.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join