It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

A total of 27 products were analysed, with 10 of them containing horse DNA and 23 containing pig DNA. 'Unacceptable' Horsemeat accounted for approximately 29% of the meat content in one sample from Tesco. In addition, 31 beef meal products, including cottage pie, beef curry pie and lasagne, were analysed, of which 21 tested positive for pig DNA.

Just throwing this out there for anyone interested.
I personally don't eat much processed food but if I do I don't really care if it was pigeon, squirrel, horse or even baby kittens and puppys if it tasted good, presented no known health risks and provided me with usable protein.
If you rely on an unknown factory to process your food then that is the risk you take - as I said, I take such a risk myself on occasion.

What has got me about this story though is the outraged notion that certain animals lives are more valid than others. I will concede higher primates perhaps, but if I were starving and a tasty looking chimp passed by I would happily consider killing and eating it. My lovely cat would get the same if the need ever arose.

Processed food is generally of poorer quality than sourced ingredients of course, but if the protein is from horse or cow I personally wouldn't care apart from the obvious product description scandal - but hey, if you buy this frozen junk then that is the risk we always have to take.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Hmmm. Either they're adding something special to the vitamin shots (how about a Horsecow?) or they're adulterating the meat. Again.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
A lot of countries eat horse meat, such as: France, Japan, Europe(some), and Quebec(Canada)

Horsemeat is actually pretty healthy to eat, if you can get past the image of a filly's kind, soulful eyes looking at you. The meat is lean, finely textured, slightly sweet, rich in protein, and tender. Even better, horses are immune to bovine spongiform encephalopathy (mad cow disease). A large majority of the 65,000 horses that are slaughtered each year in the United States are shipped to Japan, Europe, and Quebec for consumption by consumers. Montreal is particularly fond of horsemeat, and butchers that specialize in it have become increasingly busy in recent years because of the spread of mad cow disease. In Quebec and European countries, only horse butchers can sell horsemeat, and it is sold in the form of minced meat, sausages, steaks, and brochettes.

Not too sure if I'd willingly eat it.
edit on 1/15/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is pretty #ed up. what next Dogs and Cat meat in our burgers and stuff??.
If im paying for Real Cow Beef then i expect to get that not some other meat.
If i wanted Horse meat id ask for it thank you.
I hope a big deal is made out of this and in return i hope all them factory's that sell this meat get shut down for good in the process..
At least the meat eaters will get the meat they are paying for and the veggies would get a bunch of animal slaughter houses shut down in the process. Make it happen people!!.

edit on 15-1-2013 by mcdgray129 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland

Supply and demand.

The consumers in these countries should take responsibility for these animals by eating the burgers that were made from them by the industry that their demand creates.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The preparation and/or consumption of horsemeat is illegal in the UK. Its the ONLY country in europe where its illegal. Other countries might choose not to process and consume it, but only the UK has made it illegal.

Why is it illegal? Horses for some reason are classified as "Pets" in the UK, seems to be the only reason.

Personally, having tried horsemeat in other countries, I can say its far superior in texture and flavour, to beef. They were doing you a favour really.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Muslims will be pretty outraged about the pig more than the horse. It's very wrong, who know maybe we've eaten human meat without realising. all very Sweeny todd.
Maybe there's some very clever cows out there abducting horses and painting them black and white.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I don't mind what kind of meat I'm eating, but I do have an issue with lying and companies selling inferior and possibly contaminated foods.

Lucky for me, my family raises our own chickens, cows, and horses. We hunt hogs and deer, so we generally eat good, pure meat. If worse came to worst, I'd definitely BBQ the horses up. A life is a life, after all.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
How can one eat horses? They were always loyal!!
They helped us for thousands of years!!
With their help we were able to kill each other much better then ever before!!
HAIL Horses !!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129
This is pretty #ed up. what next Dogs and Cat meat in our burgers and stuff??.

just order a chinese take-away, always a gamble

but seriously, the Chinese do eat dogs, cats etc in their own country.
so why wouldnt a chinese takeaway one day just happen to have a dog that recently died, just chop it up and cook it
who would know?

horse burgers - yes ive eaten one in France
first off, was a bit of a strange mind battle at first, but once i had taken the first bite, my taste buds took over, immensley better than any beef burger ive ever had.
horses are very lean and muscley which gives the best meat as it does in any game meat.

edit on 15-1-2013 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
In future news we have found human DNA in our Beef burgers, nothing to worry about people as its healthy but we will look into how this got into your meat and fix the problem sorry about that guys says a tesco rep, we had no idea this stuff was being put into our meat, we have no removed all the meat from our shelfs and will look into how this got there in the first place.
Years later people are still eating human meat, horse meat and pig meat being passed off as other types of meat.
Whos to know right??.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyTrick
Muslims will be pretty outraged about the pig more than the horse. It's very wrong, who know maybe we've eaten human meat without realising. all very Sweeny todd.

I would imagine most Muslims who care will buy halal and avoid the unknown processed frozen junk in corporate chains.

Maybe there's some very clever cows out there abducting horses and painting them black and white.

Haha, maybe it should have been posted in a conspiracy forum instead of 'other current events'

...I've eaten everything from fried tarantulas to bats, snakes and sea-gulls, if anyone is prepared to take the risk of consuming unknown processed mixed meat then they should consider the chance that all may not be what it seems. And certainly not cry about the death of one particular animal over the other.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Wonder what the royals eat?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
The preparation and/or consumption of horsemeat is illegal in the UK. Its the ONLY country in europe where its illegal. Other countries might choose not to process and consume it, but only the UK has made it illegal.

Why is it illegal? Horses for some reason are classified as "Pets" in the UK, seems to be the only reason.

Personally, having tried horsemeat in other countries, I can say its far superior in texture and flavour, to beef. They were doing you a favour really.

Are you sure it's illegal? I always thought it was more of a taboo thing.

My uncle used to race greyhound's and he fed his dog's horsemeat...I'm pretty sure he didn't obtain it illegally unless the law's have changed.
But I will say i remember the smell distinctly as it was boiling in a pan as it was putrid! ....it is a smell that still makes me feel sick today when I recall it!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
Wonder what the royals eat?

The souls of the peasantry if you asked some of the more passionate members on ATS

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Looking at the link, it looks as though the original source is coming from mainland Europe. That's where you need to stop and think, how many of these brand labels are processing actual meat, this is third party processing. There are some clues contained in the packaging, I've noticed some products perhaps related or not, that contain the 'no nuts' and 'may contain nuts' on the same package and it took a while to figure it out, that there is multi processing going on in ready meals, and that the sources can be from anywhere.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
reply to post by TFCJay

humans
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I'd definitely choose the crappy cow/horse/pig/dog burgers first!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
there is multi processing going on in ready meals, and that the sources can be from anywhere.

Of course, third party ingredient supply is big business, it's a hidden scandal if you ask me, but the tragedy is the millions of blind and trusting consumers feeding this crap to their kids - 'there are regulations so it must be safe' etc

...no different really to the people who trust that the disenchanted kitchen assistant hasn't spat in one of the casserole or soup pots at their restaurant, just a different socio-economic viewpoint.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
When I lived on the east side of Michigan you would see fields full of horses all summer long then when the grass was gone so were the horses. Big business in Michigan they tried to shut it down but then what does the DNR do with thousands of horses that nobody wants. Can't butcher them here but once they cross the scales and head to Canada $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join