It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA releases shooting game for 4 year olds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

NRA releases shooting game for 4 year olds

www.theglobeandmail.com

The powerful gun rights lobby group says the free app, which is rated ages 4 and up, promotes firearms safety.

“NRA: Practice Range also offers a 3D shooting game that instills safe and responsible ownership through fun challenges and realistic simulations. It strikes the right balance of gaming and safety education, allowing you to enjoy the most authentic experience possible,” says the app’s description.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
and for a less flattering assessment:

“Is this some kind of sick joke? The NRA complains about violent games and then releases one … Sure you’re not shooting at humans but does it really matter?” one reviewer wrote.

I'm really glad I don't live in the US right now - this 2nd amendment rights thing, the argument about violent video games inspiring real life violence - as seen from the outside it is all just out of control for you folks.

you really have to sort out your society somehow

www.theglobeandmail.com

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It's called freedom.

When you are not used to having it, it can seem really strange.... looking at it from the outside.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Don't forget... just like us... all you see and hear is what the media produces.

The media produces only that which improves their lot with the government and their owners.

Trust them implicitly ... and you will never know anything other than what they 'want' you to know... and you will perceive.. only what they have crafted for your consumption.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Did you not read the part where it is showing gun safety, you foreigners are a joke. Just because you let the government into every part of your lives doesn't mean we have to.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hey, if it teaches them gun safety, then why not?

It's better than games such as Grand Theft Auto, which they are already playing ( Be honest, almost no one pays attention to the video game rating system)

One time in my life have I seen a cashier say to a parent " Are you sure you want to get this for your kid? It has lots of violence, shooting, robbery etc..." That parent said yeah, I am sure.

The way I see it.... A game that teaches kids responsible use of a gun is better than one where they go around murdering hookers and stealing cars.

If you are going to hand a kid a game that involves shooting, why not have it be one that teaches responsible gun use?

Personally, I wont be buying my 4 year old either of those because I think 4 is a bit young...But if I had to pick a shooting game for them to play, it would be one that teaches responsible usage....

Popular or not, that is where I stand.

Peace and love.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I dont' just hear what the media says - I read stuff on here, and I have relatives and friends living in the USA.

What makes you think I do not have freedom??
I am able to own guns shold I choose to do so - where I live there are not quite so many guns per population as the USA - I think we only have about 1 per 2 people.

But is gun ownership your only definition of freedom??

does it teach gun safety? In what way? It cannot possibly give you the feel of handling a gun, knowing when it is loaded and/or cocked, how it feels to keep your finger off the trigger, or where the safety is and what it looks like on or off on a real weapon.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
your title is misleading, it for ages 4 and up. Its not a violent game. You shoot at paper targets. What’s violent about that?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Did anyone, ANYONE do ANY amount of due diligence before writing or commenting on this story?
No?

"~★ TARGET PRACTICE ★~
NRA: Practice Range also offers a 3D shooting game that instills safe and responsible ownership through fun challenges and realistic simulations. It strikes the right balance of gaming and safety education, allowing you to enjoy the most authentic experience possible.

✔ 9 firearms
✔ 3 immersive shooting ranges
✔ 3 distinct difficult levels
✔ Analog & Gyroscope game controls
✔ Game Center integration"

"Rated 12+ for the following:
Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence"

itunes.apple.com...

Now, I wouldn't call shooting at a gun range "frequent/intense realistic violence" at all; I was shooting at real gun ranges with real guns even before I reached the age of 12, but that aside there it is. It's "rated" 12 and up. Nowhere in its description do I see anything suggesting the NRA designed it specifically for 4 year olds. Perhaps it originally had a lower rating before the news story broke, I don't know, but the story is sensationalist garbage and as it stands it's not even true.

The powerful gun rights lobby group says the free app, which is rated ages 4 and up...

www.theglobeandmail.com...
Nope. Clever slimy wording too. "Rated" 4 and up. In other words, that's the rating category the game fell into (according to the news story but not the game's actual website) because it's non-violent. The NRA didn't decide where Apple iTunes' game rating system would draw the age cutoffs.
edit on 15-1-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

“Is this some kind of sick joke? The NRA complains about violent games and then releases one … Sure you’re not shooting at humans but does it really matter?” one reviewer wrote.

I'm really glad I don't live in the US right now - this 2nd amendment rights thing, the argument about violent video games inspiring real life violence - as seen from the outside it is all just out of control for you folks.

No, we have to sort people like you out of our society.

People who think educating children is a bad thing.

People who believe that a firearm is just plain evil no matter what it's use may be.

People who have most likely never even held a gun but is afraid to let someone else use one.

People who believe what they see on the news instead of searching for facts.

People who don't believe in other peoples rights as long as others have a different lifestyle or beliefs

Basically, just people like you.

www.theglobeandmail.com

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

No, we have to sort people like you out of our society.

People who think educating children is a bad thing.

Not me.

People who believe that a firearm is just plain evil no matter what it's use may be.

nope - not me either. I like guns.

People who have most likely never even held a gun but is afraid to let someone else use one.

Nope - not me. Seved in the armed forces - in the infantry so am more than comfortable carrying around "high powered assault weapons" on a daily basis. I have never owned a gun but enjoy shooting them at animals and targets just fine. Have never had to shoot one at a human being, but do not beleive I would have much problem doing so in legal circumstances.

People who believe what they see on the news instead of searching for facts.

how about people who make baseless accusations?

People who don't believe in other peoples rights as long as others have a different lifestyle or beliefs

Basically, just people like you.

apparently not - it seems you actualy know nothing about me at all, and indeed have not sought to find out any facts about me while accusing me of not searching for facts.

the irony is palpable.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This thread is ridiculous. If the game isn't violent then who cares? Would you also have a problem with a bow&arrow app that shoots targets?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

It's called freedom.

When you are not used to having it, it can seem really strange.... looking at it from the outside.

I agree, it can be a strange thing from the outside. Although, I think the NRA shouldn't aim the game as such a yoiung demographic.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

OMG, so outrageous. An APP promoting gun safety. How many 4 year olds do you know that haven an Iphone

I bet this ones ok with you though, right?

New Video Game Allows Players to Murder NRA President

link
edi t on 1/15/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I think that it is a little silly to complain about this. Fair grounds have had air rifle shooting games for donkeys years, and they are no more inherantly violent than this simulator appears to be.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I think this is great. Where I'm from, kids are given toy guns regularly...but they are taught as young as 4 to hold those toy guns down, never to point them at someone, and to check the "safety".

At Christmas my nieces and nephews instinctively held the guns down while they were still unwrapping them! These are the kids who grow up to respect firearms. These are the kids who would never think of causing harm to people with guns. Early education is key!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
At the ripe age of 6 years old I learned how to plink soda cans with a 22 revolver........today I know that is not so cool for some people but to this day I can safely handle most hand guns.

Thanks to my dad.
No regrets and no fear.
As to the media aspect of it please if you care check out this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The whole "blame video games" BS has got to stop. Same people said the same thing when Columbine happened,and now they're saying it again.

My generation grew up with the original Nintendo which came with a GUN and a game called Duck Hunt.

For some reason back then people were either a lot smarter or less hysterical because no one was dumb enough to say that a kid who shoots a screen is going to become violent in the future.

It's like saying everyone who played Mike Tyson's punch out is prone to underground fight clubs and street violence.

Grow up people....just grow up....

HLF

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrashUnderride

Originally posted by butcherguy

It's called freedom.

I agree, it can be a strange thing from the outside. Although, I think the NRA shouldn't aim the game as such a yoiung demographic.

They didn't.

Rated 12+ for the following:

Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence

itunes.apple.com...
Frankly I completely disagree with the notion that gun range shooting is "frequent/intense realistic violence." To me, to call it that is just another attack on gun owners and the normal use of guns in a safe sporting environment. I was shooting real guns at real ranges before I was 12, and I'm honestly better for it and was far less likely to have an accident with a firearm because of it. The claim though that the NRA targeted it for "4 year olds" is a lie. I love how "critics" confuse it with "violent video games."

IGN has requested clarification from the NRA on how it reconciles the release of this shooting game with its recent statements condemning violent media.

www.ign.com...
Target shooting at a gun range is not the same as "violent media." The other things I would like to say to IGN and similar critics would be against T&C's so I'll just not say anything further.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
this reminds me of the "Americas army" game some years ago.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join