FDA Public Hearing on E-Cigs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I just want to bring this to the attention of anyone who has stopped smoking or knows someone that has stopped smoking.

The FDA is currently looking at regulating the e-cig industry.

"FDA consideration of applicable approval mechanisms and additional indications for nicotine replacement therapies (NRTs), and input on a report to Congress examining the regulation and development of innovative products and treatments for tobacco dependence"

FDA Proposal

I personally do not want the FDA sticking their nose into e-cigs as they will start causing all problems. I can see them trying to regulate them as medical devices where you would need to go to a doctor to get a prescription to own one or to buy the liquids used in the devices.

Never have I seen a increase in FDA involvement lead to anything good. They always seem to add more weight to the problem then anything.

The FDA is taking comments on this proposal until 1-16-13.

edit on 1/15/2013 by Azdraik because: link
edit on 1/15/2013 by Azdraik because: fix url
edit on 1/15/2013 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I just wish people would start screaming for smaller Government. It is like a monster that keeps growing and growing, and it's making it hard to stay above water with everything going up in price due to price increases from over printing.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Tell the FDA the "butt out".

2nd line, flagged because I am trying to get a friend to use the damn e-cig. He is welcome to kill himself smoking real cigs but I get tired of waiting for him to smoke all the time.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

where ever there is money to be made you can rest assure that the acronym FDA will be there to "regulate" it for your own "good"

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

You got that right. If the FDA sticks their business in the E-Cig industry you might as well start smoking real sigs again. People know how to help there dependencies. If they put their mind to it they don't need anyone. Specially the FDA. It's pretty hard to take advice from a health association that get's it funding through the very things they're supposed to regulate.
edit on 15-1-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

Oh I know. It is frustrating at times.

I switched to the e-cig after they outlawed my smoke of choice... cloves.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azdraik
reply to post by k1k1to

My choice has always been cloves,then Obama came into office and banned them all.
I started getting them from overseas til customs caught on.
About then they had found the loop hole were they could sell"cigars" instead.

Now that I am switching to ecigs,this??????????????

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

how do those e cigs compare to the real thing? iv'e been curious my friend didnt like them because he said it feels like his lungs were on fire...wtf

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I understand your feelings on it.. pretty much my story as well.

Really hate the fact they have to butt into everything.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to
reply to post by Azdraik

how do those e cigs compare to the real thing? iv'e been curious my friend didnt like them because he said it feels like his lungs were on fire...wtf

It's the propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin and you get used to it.
You get the nic fix but no MAOIs that occur naturally in tobacco.

BOT: Yes I left my comments because I'm still struggling with the nails and this all that has worked.
I'm also considering DIY and I don't need the red tape.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Yngvarr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

I'm going to blow up!!!!!!!!!!!
I got fired today and gonna blow myself up!!!!!!!!!

I'm packing up what juice I have,my solar panels,some supplies and heading off to the wilderness to become a hermit.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

reply to post by k1k1to

You can smoke cloves? I never heard of such a thing. Why would that be outlawed?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

Just to play devils advocate here, as there is a lack of healthy debate, the E cig companies are in violation of the law...

FDA

Since there has been no real studies on their effects the companies have no legal right to make unsubstantiated medical claims.

ETA: Clove cigarettes are not illegal , I see them all the time at tobacco stores here in Los Angeles they are just marketed as cigars.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos

reply to post by k1k1to

You can smoke cloves? I never heard of such a thing. Why would that be outlawed?

Because it's the foulest, most God-awful thing you've ever smelled. No insult to my clove smoking
friends of which I have many, but yechh!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Ive tried e-cigs but they are so harsh, so i smoke real ones.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
reply to post by Azdraik

Just to play devils advocate here, as there is a lack of healthy debate, the E cig companies are in violation of the law...

FDA

Since there has been no real studies on their effects the companies have no legal right to make unsubstantiated medical claims.

ETA: Clove cigarettes are not illegal , I see them all the time at tobacco stores here in Los Angeles they are just marketed as cigars.

FDA has never been out to help people. They are only there to make money... lots of money.

As for Cloves. What they sell now is nowhere near the same thing as before. They are disgusting. It changes the way they smoke and taste as they have to use a tobacco wrapper instead of a paper one.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

I'll concede the point about cloves (never really liked them anyway), however I will not concede to your assertion that the FDA is out to only make money. If the FDA did not exist there would not be a public organization which would objectively study the effects of pharmaceuticals, god knows that the corporations that produce medicines do not, and independent organizations do not have the funding to conduct such research.

I'm not a big fan of government in general but the FDA is one of the many organizations that exists within in it that does protect the public, the amount of research they do is astounding. Don't get me wrong they have their problems, like being ran by people in the pharmaceutical industry (can we say conflict of interest), but my original point stands they by far do more good than harm.

And you did not address my point about the e cig companies breaking the law by making unsubstantiated medical claims.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I tried the e cig, and it didn't have the throat kick a real cig has, and the cartridges were pastic, and like my cigs and cigars, I like to clamp down on em with my teeth
If they made the filter part a bit softer and the whole thing not as heavy, I'd go back to the in a heartbeat

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

Hmm, I think cloves smell nice, strong, but nice. However, maybe they don't smell so nice when burned up and smoked. It does sound a bit of a strange thing to smoke, what is the attraction? Is it healthier or something? Can't see the stench being a reason to outlaw them though, I think cigarette and cigar smoke is pretty gross and that is totally allowed.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

Gotta tell ya, I'm hoping someone looks into the e-cigs. Why are they harsher than regular smokes? I cough my head off with these things. What's in them???

<<   2 >>

join

$('#skin').click(function(){ window.location.href = "http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1008463/pg1"; });