It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers reveal gas that triggers ozone destruction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Scientists at the Universities of York and Leeds have made a significant discovery about the cause of the destruction of ozone over oceans.

They keep trying to convince us that global warming is man made, then we read that we are really headed for another ice age. Climatologists can't seem to make up their minds. First its CO2 from man made pollution, then its cow flatulence, followed by changes in solar output causing planetary warming. Well, here is another chapter in the perils of Pauline's earth'

SOURCE

They have established that the majority of ozone-depleting iodine oxide observed over the remote ocean comes from a previously unknown marine source. The research team found that the principal source of iodine oxide can be explained by emissions of hypoiodous acid (HOI) – a gas not yet considered as being released from the ocean – along with a contribution from molecular iodine.

"Our research reveals an important negative feedback for ozone – a sort of self-destruct mechanism. The more ozone there is, the more gaseous halogens are created which destroy it. The research also has implications for the way that radionucleides of iodine in seawater, released into the ocean mainly from nuclear reprocessing facilities, can be re-emitted into the atmosphere."

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I think this part is intersting

radionucleides of iodine in seawater, released into the ocean mainly from nuclear reprocessing facilities, can be re-emitted into the atmosphere."

it proves once again that you can`t hide a turd in a punch bowl. everything we poison the environment with WILL come back to haunt us eventually.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Funny I was just about to say what about the nuclear bombs they tested? Its always something small we do like drive our cars ect but they have lit off thousands of nuclear bombs and they have done nothing to the ozone yeah right.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
So, could the Fukushima nuclear accident be contributing to ozone depletion now?

I would think that it caused a bit of nuclear iodides. I don't know, one of my downfalls....not being a nuclear physicist.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
So, could the Fukushima nuclear accident be contributing to ozone depletion now?

I would think that it caused a bit of nuclear iodides. I don't know, one of my downfalls....not being a nuclear physicist.

It could be, a lot of radioactive iodine was, and still is, being released. But the far worse problem with radioactive iodine is that it attacks thyroid glands. If enough of it is released the effect it will have on the ozone will be nothing compared to the thyroid problems and cancers it will cause.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It takes time to see what effects the size and magnitude of what happen in Fukushima and it's effects.

NISA estimated that about 130 PBq of iodine-131 was released from the reactors, mostly around 15 March and the two days following - 0.16% of the total inventory. In 32 days this released iodine would have diminished to one sixteenth of original activity - 8 PBq. NISA's report to IAEA said that this 130 PBq of I-131 together with 6 PBq of caesium-137* released gave an "iodine-131 equivalent" figure of 370 PBq, which resulted in the re-rating of the accident to INES level 7. NISA in June increased this estimate to 770 PBq (I-131 eq), being 160 PBq of I-131 and 15 PBq of Cs-137. Japan's Nuclear Safety Commission (NSC, a policy body) estimated that 12 PBq of Cs-137 had been released, giving an "iodine-131 equivalent" figure of 630 PBq to 5 April, but in August lowered this estimate to 570 PBq. The 770 PBq figure is about 15% of the Chernobyl release of 5200 PBq iodine-131 equivalent. The NSC said that most radioactive material was released from the unit 2 suppression chamber during two days from its apparent rupture early on 15 March. It said that about 154 TBq/day was being released on 5 April, but that this had dropped to about 24 TBq/d over three weeks to 26 April and to about 24 GBq/d in mid July. In mid August 2011 the estimate from all three reactors together was about 5 GBq/d.

www.world-nuclear.org...

Makes me sick.

Forgot to add this.......

www.asrltd.com...
edit on 15-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
reply to post by happykat39

Funny I was just about to say what about the nuclear bombs they tested? Its always something small we do like drive our cars ect but they have lit off thousands of nuclear bombs and they have done nothing to the ozone yeah right.

Yeah I am sure the thousands of nukes we dropped, testing and others.....Haven't made a difference on the ozone!!

"They" will never admit to that though, that little tid bit of info will follow them to the grave! Unfortunately along with all of us, not in the know.....

Why even test nukes? Why would anyone even consider using something like these? I don't understand humanity sometimes.....One of the best quotes ever, "can't we all just get along?"

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
when co2 combines with sea water it makes a chemical reaction that in turn reduces the oceans ph. levels as well as calcium levels.

Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the pH of surface ocean waters has fallen by 0.1 pH units. Since the pH scale, like the Richter scale, is logarithmic, this change represents approximately a 30 percent increase in acidity.

www.pmel.noaa.gov...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
I think this part is intersting

radionucleides of iodine in seawater, released into the ocean mainly from nuclear reprocessing facilities, can be re-emitted into the atmosphere."

it proves once again that you can`t hide a turd in a punch bowl. everything we poison the environment with WILL come back to haunt us eventually.

The "we" in that sentence belongs to the 5% trolls and orcs forcing and implenting nuclear, dirty technology, slavery and planet destruction. Thats all their baby. They alone own that karma. We, the people, don't get to choose too much, but one thing we get to do, is hand their karma back and tell that their ugly twisted games are not appreciated, not endorsed and only by their villainous force and massive programming to ignore everything, even exists.

Again, the "we" in that doesnt exist, its the PTB trolls/orcs and all that goes bump in the night, its what they're doing ALL OF IT.

edit on 15-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join