Massive Outburst in Neighbor Galaxy Surprises Astronomers

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
So you think you have problems when you eat something that makes you burp?? That's nothing compared to when a massive black hole eats too much. Do they even make a Tums® big enough for a black hole? Deal with it people, this is the kind of stuff we nerds come up with when we are bored.

Now on to the serious stuff...

SOURCE

The surprising discovery of a massive outburst in a neighboring galaxy is giving astronomers a tantalizing look at what likely is a powerful belch by a gorging black hole at the galaxy's center. The scientists were conducting a long-term study of molecules in galaxies, when one of the galaxies showed a dramatic change.

Green highlights mine, choice of words theirs.

The scientists were using the National Science Foundation's (NSF) 305-meter William E. Gordon Telescope at Arecibo for their study when they discovered the outburst in NGC 660, a spiral galaxy 44 million light-years distant in the constellation Pisces. The outburst was ten times brighter than the largest supernova, or exploding star.

"High-resolution imaging is the key to understanding what's going on," said Emmanuel Momjian, of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO). "We needed to know if the outburst came from a supernova in this galaxy or from the galaxy's core. We could only do that by harnessing the high-resolution imaging power we get by joining widely-separated radio telescopes together."

The astronomers used a network called the High Sensitivity Array (HSA), composed of the NSF's Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA), a continent-wide system of ten radio telescopes ranging from Hawaii to the Virgin islands; the Arecibo Telescope; the NSF's 100-meter Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia; and the 100-meter Effelsberg Radio Telescope of the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy in Germany.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Cool, how fast is the outburst moving, is it moving in our direction, how many decades/centuries before it hit, and what, if any, would be effect on our little planet?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I was hoping for alot more replies by now.

Originally posted by happykat39

The outburst was ten times brighter than the largest supernova, or exploding star.

No one is surprised at this? I just want to read the discussion. I don't know enough to join in. Bump

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Given the distance of 44 million lightyears, i'd say the effects here would be none.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

I'm surprised by it.. not sure what to make of it exactly though. Doesn't this go against everything we thought a black hole was? I thought they just sucked up everything within a certain distance and eventually imploded? Where would an outburst of mass or energy come from? I have to assume it has come back from wherever the black hole leads to whether its a wormhole to another point in the universe or from another dimension. What did it emit, pulverized mass? The concept of this happening goes against everything we know about black holes..

Edit: Found this

In early November, 2011, a months-long blast of energy launched by an enormous black hole almost 11 billion years ago swept past Earth.

Located in the constellation Ursa Major, 4C +71.07 is so far away that its light takes 10.6 billion years to reach Earth. Astronomers are seeing this galaxy as it existed when the universe was less than one-fourth of its present age

www.dailygalaxy.com...

mind boggling
edit on 16-1-2013 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Great thread Op and analogy

It is certainly revealing how full the universe is.
And to think they told us decades ago , how empty space was.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

I'm surprised by it.. not sure what to make of it exactly though. Doesn't this go against everything we thought a black hole was? I thought they just sucked up everything within a certain distance and eventually imploded? Where would an outburst of mass or energy come from?

A black hole has what is called an "event horizon". Once matter and/or energy passes the event horizon it is gone for good into the maw of the black hole. But at, and just before, the event horizon there can be some very energetic activity that gives off massive amounts of radiation as matter is torn asunder. If one or more large bodies are being swallowed by a black hole they can provide some spectacular fireworks as they are devoured, thus the burp. I know that to an astronomer this is a bit of an oversimplification, but it holds water for the layman.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   

i don't know any thing about astronomy but a thought came to mind when i read this .

is this how the big bang started ? like a planet recycling centre maybe ,
just like garden plants , they die , shed seeds and are reborn .

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think this could be more important than we assume, the outburst came from the constellation Pisces, isn't the Age of Pisces ending and now the age of Aquarius is starting? If it is an anomaly then it could make more sense with the procession of the equinox in mind.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Creating something new...perhaps?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I don't know what those things are but they keep looking like UFOs.
So do we have galaxy's flying around or similar light sources are occurring.

I like nebulae better more detail:

www.thunderbolts.info...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Kardashev scale

They may also be able to tap into the energy released from the supermassive black holes which are believed to exist at the center of most galaxies.

Might even be a type III civilization. Michio Kaku says that a type III can use the energy a entire galaxy for whatever they might what that energy for. If you want to see (or haven't) the different types of civilizations that could be out in outer space check 'em out.
Type 0
Type I
Type II
Type III
Type IV
Type V, and beyond

Here: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 16-1-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
It's ok, just about 500 trillion raging demons got released from another dimension. In about 10,000 years we will all be playing Doom, or Quake, for our very survival...

Or it released the elements neccessary to create a new galaxy. If we leave now, by the time we get there, there could be a primitive Type 0 civilization. But about 1/1000 of the way there, we will see a beam of light fly past us as our future descendants discover light speed or near light speed travel and decide to beat us to the punch... the cocky bastards... But the joke will be on them cause when they get their, their greatX50 grandchildren will have already arrived through a wormhole and already trashed the place... It turns out that everyone in the future worship the crazy 80's rock bands as a pantheon of gods. Hair metal and glam are very much the fashion of those days. It will take many hundreds of years before archeologists discover that these bands were just regular people, and another thousand before the truth begins to take hold... Finally when our starship reaches the place we are able to set the record straight that Scientology is the one true faith.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Russia is knee deep into aliens I see.
They are in cahoots with the international saucer forces to hide their technology
by promoting ET life proposals. If the saucer is totally man made and can't be
told the only thing allowed are alien studies.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

Cool, how fast is the outburst moving, is it moving in our direction, how many decades/centuries before it hit, and what, if any, would be effect on our little planet?

Since we have seen it, its effects have already caught us.

top topics

join