It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12,000 year old native american site in NC

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Its the same arrowhead, just both sides. I found it in South GA which is exactly my point..

If it weren't from this region it wouldn't be labeled a Kirk. The lack of communication between private collectors and archeologists though has seemingly killed the possibility of new artifact types being designated to my region.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

Cool,
I've read that the western stemmed points were atl atl dart points.
Until just a few years ago you still find lots of points just layin around.
A few years ago I was on a mountainbike ride on a trail I had been riding for 15 years and got a little ahead of the group I was with, so I stopped to wait by a creek crossing. I had been by this spot literally 100 times, when I sat down on a rock by the creek at my feet in a acorn grind hole there were a dozen small obsidian arrow points, just sitting there. I left them there.
I kick myself for not picking them up, I'm kinda superstitious about stuff like that ever since I was a kid.
When I was 12 I was walking a motocross track in the mountains and found an obsidian scraper
and picked it up, an hr later I had crashed and blew out my knee. The the next day while sitting around waiting for the Dr appointment , I saw the Brady Bunch episode where they went to Hawaii and picked up the cursed tiki, it really freaked me out.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Wow, superstition or not I think I'd have had to risk it for an obsidian cache! Gimme 14 years bad luck.. worth it!

I think most Woodland/Mississippian points could have been used as atlatl darts. Just not the big, rounded off types which are mostly Paleo & some Archaic. A good amount of actual atlatl handles make of both bone and waterlogged wood have come out of the west. Ya ever find one of those its a major score.. Tricky though because to find them intact and preserved you basically have to look for the right stick in a creek, heh.

Honestly though you find em' the same way you find any other artifacts. Just gotta look for the typical signs of ancient habitation, flakes and chips.. quarry sites near water.
edit on 17-1-2013 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Beautiful point! Judging by where your from, id say that was either an Elk River, or a Harpeth River style of point.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Here is thread I did about the possible Clovis connection to local tribes here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I also feel Clovis was more of a traded technology than a homogeneous culture, in its later phases.

edit on 15-1-2013 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

What i find interesting is the crescent point from Santa Rosa island with its Santa Rosa woman site and the same type of crescent points from the Black Rock desert of Nevada and the Clovis sites (lovelock cave Wizard's Beach Man Spirit Cave man)around the same dry lake in Nevada.
no place else in the US are these type points found.
www.lithiccastinglab.com...
www.andaman.org...

But both peoples were water front people and likely boat people.

edit on 18-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney

Beautiful point! Judging by where your from, id say that was either an Elk River, or a Harpeth River style of point.

Whoa! Spot on my man! That is some truly awesome identification.. and ty, it was actually a surface find about a 1/2" above the sand.

The search engine I use for ID'ing points doesn't even have those types but I was able to find them in an outdated online copy of Overstreet. It says early archaic or even possibly late paleo(!) if its Harpeth River.

(Sorry for going off-topic OP but I've been trying to figure out exactly what this was for awhile)

3 artifact boards and a local authenticator told me Kirk so its been very frustrating. This made my day! If I could give you a hundred stars for that ID I would.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Originally posted by punkinworks10

Originally posted by HomerinNC

Here is thread I did about the possible Clovis connection to local tribes here.

I also feel Clovis was more of a traded technology than a homogeneous culture, in its later phases.

edit on 15-1-2013 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

What i find interesting is the crescent point from Santa Rosa island with its Santa Rosa woman site and the same type of crescent points from the Black Rock desert of Nevada and the Clovis sites (lovelock cave Wizard's Beach Man Spirit Cave man)around the same dry lake in Nevada.
no place else in the US are these type points found.
www.andaman.org...

But both peoples were water front people and likely boat people.

edit on 18-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

Hi Anned,
Here in the central valley there are two types of cresents, the actual cresents and a, different shape called a butterfly. I believe the cresents are used to cut reeds, and the butterflies are waterfowl specific arrowheads.

That's a butterfly from the witt site.
I have a paper somewhere detailing a late pliestocene site on the west shore of China Lake, ill post a link to it.

I don't want take OP's thread any farther afield,
I the people participating in this conversation might be interested in this thread
It's a little wordy and kinda dry, but hey check it out

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Glad to help bro. I hear ya about all the mis-identifications of points. I wouldn't let it get to you though. many authenticators dont want to go out of their way, and do a little homework to try to find a specific style of point. It's much easier to just say a point is a generic style like a "Kirk" especially if they weren't there to see how deep the point was found, or any other associated artifacts found association with it. To be honest, there are only 2 styles of true Kirks( a Snapped base, and a Serrated bifurcated based) both of them are early Archaic. Any of the other "Kirks" are actually other styles of points. Any time you have a point you cant id...just pm or u2u me, and i'll give it a name for you. Also...if your point has collateral flaking on one side of it, it's an Elk river. If there's anyway you can post a pic of the flaking on both sides it would make it easier to id it.
edit on 18-1-2013 by lordpiney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lordpiney

Hey, I sent ya a u2u. Didn't know if you saw it. Get back to me when ya get a chance.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join