It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why all the attention? Why do you even care? USA obsession.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Why is everyone so obsessed with the US? I see it as a sociological phenomenon.

I get that we are an important international player and that things that happen in the US have repercussions across the globe, BUT, why is everyone fixated on the US on so many levels?

Do they expect a world solution to every single problem from the US? Is that why they try and blame us failing to champion human rights or what ever other nonsense they THINK we promised? Do they see us as the single problem to the worlds woes? Is our failure to "save" the world, as per their interpreted message we supposedly sent them in which we promised to do so, any ones fault when that is not the case?

Are the eternal problems of mankind due to something the young country of the USA is doing or failing to do? If the US did not exist anymore, would humanities problems all magically go away?

What exactly do you get from focusing all your energies into a single concept or idea like USA obsession? Personal progress? Is the solution to that "uncomfortable" feeling you get when thinking about it this? Does it somehow get better when you obsess about it?

This even applies to Americans. If you have so many issues with the US, why stay?
You are not going to change the nature of the country. You will only find yourself at odds with everyone and everything around you. Why then do you remain as poison in a place you hate?

I see this gun issue as well as ridiculous. What does the US having or not having guns even mean to the rest of the world now debating it like it actually mattered to them? Are you really out to save American lives or something? Why do you care? Why obsess about the US?

edit on 15-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
People love telling other people what to do. It's more popular than soccer.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Its like the person that always knows whats best for another persons child but cant even keep their own under control

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

When America farts, everyone has to smell it. Because this is so, we all feel the need to tell her what she should and shouldn't eat. When she eats nothing but cheesy chili fries, it affects everyone.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Just as I wrote in another thread this morning...
If you keep talking about yourself
You bring other peoples attention to you.

It seems the majority of the people on this site are american and so they bring up topics concerning their country, or from an American point of view.

But one other influencing factor may be that this is a Conspiracy site......it attracts people who are conspiracy theorists, who, by definition, have a deep mistrust of those in power in all contexts.

The Americans like to project and image of themselves as being powerful and many even speak about their country as "the most powerful in the world" .
So they just invite critical focus, especially in this kind of forum site.

I assure you, in some other countries, you do not see this kind of focus on the USA. They have their own news and concerns.

link   
"Iran this.."

"Iran that..."

"Iran can't this.."

"Iran can this.."

Sounds familiar? Whats you obsession with Iran?

No body wants US to solve problems, people just don't want to them to start any in the first place....

edit: oh yeah OP's ego is obvious, very typical ignorance.
edit on 1/15/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

Here is a similar thread started by another person with the same thought pattern as you..
Do they teach the 2nd amendment worldwide? Or is everyone just jealous?
edit on 1/15/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

link   
Domino effect.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

When America farts, everyone has to smell it. Because this is so, we all feel the need to tell her what she should and shouldn't eat. When she eats nothing but cheesy chili fries, it affects everyone.

Well I had an opinion, like that's a surprise but nothing as eloquent as that.

It's a democratic republic. What the people are feeling should also be a barometer of what we can look for in foreign policy.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
learn another language, you get less USA talk.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I give you a star for participation.

I will now scold you for lecturing me on Ego, while reveling in your own.

oh yeah OP's ego is obvious, very typical ignorance

Am I egocentric or ignorant? Which is it?

So your critical nature of the US and Americans is "intelligent"?

oh, bravo....you are so special.......

You can show me all the examples you like. I could do the same. That is just an exercise in demonstrating our boredom with analytical and original thought.

The US is not obsessed with Iran. Our government might be, but people fail to make the distinction, like you have just failed to do, when speaking about the US government and US citizens.

you would qualify as one of the people who spend far too much time contemplating the US. You either had that thread on memory, or went through the trouble of finding it. You have a "type" of person you have become a self expressed expert in deconstructing.

Do you not have anything better to do with your time? Is your own country in perfect shape where you can afford to *ignore it and focus on mine?

edit on 15-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm an american. I agree, Its very hard not to see the heavy anti-american sentiments shown on this site. I try to steer away from those threads because I do not believe that a people are 'their government'. Unfortunately, heavy anti-american comments invade just about any topic here.
Many times you see 'You think your'e better than the rest of the world", "You think you're the world's greatest power", "you think you run the world" bahblahblah. No, we don't. We are human just like the rest of you. We want happiness, to be loved, live in peace.
I do agree that many topics are from an american standpoint, but frankly, it would be the same for any country if the majority of posters were from that country. It only makes sense that say, a site heavily populated with Italians for example, would be more focused on Italian issues. It's only a matter of perspective. If I lived in the UK, I'm going to know about things UK before a different country's issues.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Obsession might not be the best wording, but I'll bite.

The fact is the U.S is "obsessed" with everyone else. "Obsessed" to the point where is, "Your either with us, or against us", being of course their agenda. Those who do not follow with America's game end up in a bad situation (most of the time).

I try not to go one way or the other on these types of subjects being a American. These are just my own opinions though.

-SAP-
edit on 15-1-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Which president never ran even a lemonade stand, was a single term senator, had the most liberal voting record of anyone in the senate, taught left wing radical Saul Alinsky tactics at a university to students, had two parents that both supported Marxism, had a 20 year minister that rants about he hates America and his biggest claim to fame was a "community organizer"? Anyone care to take a guess?
Your Right i live in America & i could care less..
When they Out Law Guns I will Be A Out Law....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a lot of what i see on mainstream news concerns the usa, perhaps leaning slightly towards an obsession. certainly, our (uk) news channels covered the US elections ad nauseum. they got to use all kinds of cool charts and graphics.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
a lot of what i see on mainstream news concerns the usa, perhaps leaning slightly towards an obsession. certainly, our (uk) news channels covered the US elections ad nauseum. they got to use all kinds of cool charts and graphics.

Yea see.. I dont understand this because for the most part, we could care less about the UK or Europes elections.
Seriously, Europe really needs to butt out of our business, give it a rest
edit on 1/15/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/15/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/15/2013 by Juggernog because: laptop keyboard bs...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm not obsessed with you and you won't find me telling you what to do. I stay out of your politics and your gun control threads. A very large number of Brits are also not obsessed with you, they are way too busy watching X Factor and Britain's got talent, they do get the American versions of those shows but I don't think that counts as being obsessed with the US.

That said we do get a lot of news about America and as has already been said when you have elections, we get it all here. We don't get anywhere near that much news about our own elections.
I do care about you though, that's just being human.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

The fact is the U.S is "obsessed" with everyone else. "Obsessed" to the point where is, "Your either with us, or against us", being of course their agenda. Those who do not follow with America's game end up in a bad situation (most of the time).

-SAP-

This is another good point to consider. One technique to force another person to make a big choice quickly is to place things in a black or white fashion. It is especially effective at stopping the critical analysis process.

The American media and politics use this tactic often, and I have noticed that it has grown to include the public too.
"You're either with us or against us" is repeated daily, even on these boards. Heck, I love my country, I am American, and ye when I have dared to criticize it in the slightest way, I get accused of hating my country!

In my case, I stand strong against this because I can't help it- it is my motherland- but I imagine if I was a foriegner, and faced with such reactions, I don't know if I would be able to resist the pressure, and end up giving into the hate eventually.

I have a sister that imagines people are mad at her all the time when they are not. I assure you, after ten minutes of denying it as she insists, you DO become angry. And she says, "SEE? I knew it."

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LEL01
I'm not obsessed with you and you won't find me telling you what to do. I stay out of your politics and your gun control threads. A very large number of Brits are also not obsessed with you, they are way too busy watching X Factor and Britain's got talent, they do get the American versions of those shows but I don't think that counts as being obsessed with the US.

Do you guys in the UK love Doctor Who as much as we do? J/W

@OP And the reason why the rest of the world focuses on us is because we keep digging ourselves a hole. Having our grubby fingers in matters all across the globe that we're kinda hard to ignore, and that will prove to be our downfall. Watch the next time we move to help Israel, we're going to get demolished by Iranians, Syrians, N. Koreans. Just to name a few. We've made ourselves bigger than what we are...

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SemperParatusRJCC

" Do you guys in the UK love Doctor Who as much as we do?"

Some do but I only started watching it again because of Torchwood, I needed to know what the hand was about and how and why Jack had it. I still remember the old black and white Dr Who.

OT.I have noticed that our news sometimes talk about "The" President as if he's President of the world or the only President in the world. It might be that they're conditioning us for the future one world government but most Brits won't even notice until it's to late.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Yea see.. I dont understand this because for the most part, we could care less about the UK or Europes elections.
Seriously, Europe really needs to butt out of our business, give it a rest

Not from Europe, Canada actually, if America butts out of our business we wouldn't care about your politics. The problem is your politics affects our lives. So basically, when you stop electing people that are going to screw with us well stop caring about you. Deal?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join